Outlander Phev

I know it's not a LR and it's only got a 1500kg towing ability but for anyone interested I picked this up Wednesday and so far it's looking good :)

normal_DSC_0551.jpg

Collected from Leeds showing 19 miles electric range and no fuel in tank so had to fill up at Howden with £40 of petrol - up to yesterday I'd done 121 miles without petrol gauge dropping at all and averaging 669. 4 mpg using electric :o

normal_DSC_0566.JPG

I have discovered by entering cost per kW/h in on-board computer I can track electric usage - it cost me 73p to charge last night after doing 17 miles and today the mpg reading shows ---.- because it doesn't display over 999. 9 mpg ;)

My LR mates are saying "They call him Muddy and he drives the fastest milk cart in the East" :lol:

I can't speke - send muddy off the field - get him walking

• Like 1

If I'd have known I was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more last night

We have used our 2016 Outlader PHEV to tow our 2014 Sterling Eccles 554 over a thousand miles during the summer with no issues or concerns.

When solo running on the petrol engine alone it returns around 40mpg and whilst towing it drops to 30mpg.

I have found it better to start out with a fully charged battery and then select "Battery Save" when you set off, it then only uses the battery power when its under full load (steep hills, hard acceleration)

The benefit of battery save is that whilst the electric motors get you going from a standing start using the engine as the generator once you hit 40mph the petrol engine pick up the drive via the gearbox and then uses the motors to provide additional power only.

My only criticism is the size of the petrol tank as it will only take around £40 from empty giving around 320+ miles solo meaning more frequent stops if towing a long distance.

I have noticed on several reviews that the earlier model suffered during a hill start whilst towing, I have tried this several times without any issues, maybe Mitsubishi resolved this as in late 2015 they updated the software for the drive motors which resulted in the 0-25mph time being reduced by 2. 5 seconds due to the increased torque at lower motor speeds. ?

For anyone considering fitting a fixed swan neck tow bar you do so and it wont interfere with the reversing sensors :)

Hope that helps anyone considering towing with one of these vehicles.

You have rather altered my opinion of the car. However, the price means that the economies only materialize if you do enough miles.

It also remains to be seen what happens to residual value when the batteries near end of life (whenever that might be in the real world!).

Edited by Stevan

5 years warranty on vehicle and 8 years battery so it will all be under warranty for the time I own it :)

I know it's not a LR and it's only got a 1500kg towing ability but for anyone interested I picked this up Wednesday and so far it's looking good :)

normal_DSC_0551.jpg

Collected from Leeds showing 19 miles electric range and no fuel in tank so had to fill up at Howden with £40 of petrol - up to yesterday I'd done 121 miles without petrol gauge dropping at all and averaging 669. 4 mpg using electric :o

normal_DSC_0566.JPG

I have discovered by entering cost per kW/h in on-board computer I can track electric usage - it cost me 73p to charge last night after doing 17 miles and today the mpg reading shows ---.- because it doesn't display over 999. 9 mpg ;)

My LR mates are saying "They call him Muddy and he drives the fastest milk cart in the East" :lol:

Congratulations on a good purchase and joining the future of road transport.

Just for information Nissan who now own Mitsubishi through the Renault / Nissan Alliance, now have a Solid Oxide Fuel Cell vehicle, key for developing countries that have the capacity to grow sugar cane or corn that produce Bi-Ethanol fuel, without the need for deforestation and that do not have the future infrastructure of EV charge points. This technology can also be adapted to other types of fuels.

https://www. youtube. com/embed/HF-eE8pRzMw

http://newsroom. nissan-europe. com/EU/en-gb/media/pressreleases/148671

Edited by Silverback

For anyone interested - today I did 165 miles starting with full battery and as you can see my average mpg was 57. 1 outward and 44. 2 overall which is pretty good for a 2 tonne petrol suv IMHO and certainly better than I got out of the DS :blush:

If I had recharged before returning this would of been better

normal_DSC_0572.JPG

Final results -

normal_DSC_0575.JPG

According to this I was using electric 56% of trip which is 92. 4 miles :blink:

This is well over the claimed 32 miles and is due to regeneration when braking plus charging from ICE when running B)

As you can see first £40 tank is still half full after 480 miles - journey felt relaxed and comfortable :)

I'm definitely a convert :wub:

Edited by Muddywheels
  • Like 1

I thought I would just update this post to say I didn't even get to test drive the PHEV. We went to the dealer who offered us 5k p/x on our 4007 which we paid £12k for less than 2 years ago. When he showed me the offer I just got up and left. As I said above I was in two minds and this made my mind up that I would keep our fantasticly capable 4007 and look at what's available in another 2-3 years time.

I thought I would just update this post to say I didn't even get to test drive the PHEV. We went to the dealer who offered us 5k p/x on our 4007 which we paid £12k for less than 2 years ago. When he showed me the offer I just got up and left. As I said above I was in two minds and this made my mind up that I would keep our fantasticly capable 4007 and look at what's available in another 2-3 years time.

I get the same sort of responce every time I have a look at upgrading. I paid £12,500 and get offered about £4,500. Mine is a 2009 low milage which I have had for nearly 5 years. So depreciation about £1,800/year. I know many have worse but like you I find it hard to swallow when the 4007 does everything I need very well.

John

• Like 1

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

• 2 weeks later...
Well the time arrived today after 840 miles running on electric and sipping petrol I decided to give the PHEV a drink so pulled into garage and parted with £35 to fill tank B)

That's 117. 5 mpg and actually matches what the computer was showing :D

We had used the battery up to this point today so as an experiment I reset the computer with no battery left and relying on the petrol engine - it worked out at 60 mpg over the 26 miles coming home - I can't believe the LR Disco Sport was only averaging 35 mpg on Diesel :o

normal_DSC_0581.JPG

I also can't believe for years I used to spend about £110-120 for around 350 miles on the RRS :rolleyes:

• Like 1

So far so good:

Were you driving 'normally' to get the 60mpg?

Please keep us posted re towing, both mpg and power, hill starts etc.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

Normal driving all the way - I no longer tow the van so I can't offer much on that front but some owners on phev forum do and speak highly of it :)

Good power delivery solo even compared to the 3. 0 SDV6 Range Rover Sports I used to drive

Edited by Muddywheels
  • Like 1

Sounds good Muddy - amazing mpg!

But also amazed you managed 35mpg in an RRS - I would have thought more like mid 20s!

BMW M135i - definitely not a tow carSubaru Outback 2. 5SE manual - a potential tow car, 2016 VW California 204 4motion could be a tow van

SDV6 would do around 35 on Oxford trips and around 30 local according to computer but I reckon it was around 10% optimistic

Towing according to computer was between 17 and 22 which again was probably about 10% optimistic

The phev appears to be showing accurate mpg on computer based on my only fill

• 1 month later...

Figure some of you may like an update :unsure:

507870.png

Over a distance of 1601 miles I have used £75 of petrol and about £45 of electric compared to £245 of diesel in the LR Disco Sport over the same distance B)

As a guide based on money spent this brings the above figure down to equivalent of approx 70 mpg for a 2 tonne petrol SUV so I can live with that - it's important to stress the PHEV does better on short trips between 20-30 miles and longer trips and towing will bring this down due to limit of battery range - the next generation will double the range to about 75 miles which would be nice :D

I've been back to the dealer for a creak on drivers seat fixed first visit without need to order parts and return another day but unfortunately had a fall out over mileage reading between drop off and collection that marred the experience :rolleyes:

Battery range has dropped due to cold weather but I'm using timed climate to preheat before getting in and heated seats/steering wheel with cabin around 20 deg while still using no fuel weekdays :wub:

• Like 1

I'm still not convinced the value after the warranty runs out will remain. Three years left on the batteries isn't much of a carrot to any potential buyer at that stage of it's life. Is there any spec on the cost of replacing the cells?

I've had 9 LR's in 16 years so the 5 yr std/8 yr battery will be long enough for me - by then I'm sure the cost of batteries will have dropped for the future owner :D

I know guys on LR forums who have faced £9-12k costs for engine and turbos on 3-4 year old RRSs so hopefully not as bad as them but just like them I recommend buyers invest in extended warranty once the manufacturer's warranty expires :unsure:

• 3 weeks later...

Seeing a drop in battery range during cold weather using all the heated toys so overall mpg is now 101 mpg

Cost of electric charging in November was £26 which means my running cost to date is now £68 electric and £110 petrol (£178) over 2390 miles - reckon that's equivalent to about 70 mpg

Discovered some new perks like free parking in York when recharging in council car parks (normally £2. 40/hr) and free electric in out of town shopping centres in Beverley and York which saves me petrol going home after swmbo has emptied my wallet :lol:

Have fitted winter tyres in case we get some bad weather

3rd month and still very happy with my purchase :)

Edited by Muddywheels

• 1 month later...

An ex-Touareg (not renowned for it's economy) owner gave us an update on another forum - I've added the bits in red for readability :-

"1 week into (Mitsubishi Outlander) PHEV ownership and other than the BIK benefit, the car has nothing going for it whatsoever!

Anyone owning a TREG (VW Touareg) who bemoans the Infotainment system and sound quality, DON'T !! It's light years ahead of the (Mitsubishi Outlander) PHEV which is in all honesty like something from the early 90's. (and that's the upgraded Alpine system too!) Engine is woeful and noisy, CVT gearbox is truly horrible, seats are equally poor, switchgear is unfathomable, even the pre-heating app is awful (god i miss the Tregs (VW Touareg) remote control preheat and heated screen)

Oh and MPG on a 24 mile daily commute which is 16 miles of hilly & twisty country roads followed by 8 miles of stop/start city traffic is 28. 7 mpg on the way in using petrol power and 335 mpg on the way home having been charging all day at work!"

http://www. mytreg. com/index. php?/topic/74146-oh-what-have-i-done-plus-winter-tyres/page__pid__587169&do=findComment&comment=587169

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

I have to wonder if they actually test drove the PHEV before leasing it - I did and if I agreed with them I wouldn't have got one :o

1st they are comparing a Toureg costing £44k-50k (without accessories) to a phev priced £31. 7-43. 4k (before big discounts) - they also don't say which spec they bought - I saved £8400 off mid spec GX4h - hardly a fair comparison :unsure:

The infotainment isn't as good as MY13 Range Rover Sport but that cost £60k OTR - it's not much worse than MY16 Discovery Sport that was £40k OTR but I will not quibble as the PHEV will cost me £25k after tax rebate ;)

Engine is noisy if you rev it but I spend most of my time on battery and didn't buy it to race away from traffic lights

Everyone who has been in mine comments on how quiet the engine/electric are, how comfortable the seats are and how seamless the CVT is (unlike the 9 speed auto on my previous DS)

Pre heat is superb after the LR system which was unusable in garage due to exhaust or outside due to low battery message whenever I tried it - I even attached a CTEK when parked in garage.

Switchgear is different after 16 years of driving LRs but after a read of the handbook and couple of weeks it works fine for me

I can manage over 24 miles in spring/summer/autumn on battery no problem but in Winter would use petrol for about 4 miles - certainly wouldn't be anywhere nr 28. 7mpg! The worst mpg I have seen on a 200 mile trip with 4 adults, dog and luggage starting fully charged is 35 (same as my LR Discovery Sport averaged over 9 months) so 28. 7 sounds to me like they are a boy racer :rolleyes:

Sounds to me like they bought the wrong vehicle for them - probably need to spend more money and buy another Toureg ;)

507870.png

As you can see my figures are a lot higher than 28. 7 - driving style and patterns makes a big difference with the PHEV - my neighbour is achieving 140+ mpg as he does shorter trips than me

507870.png

As you can see my figures are a lot higher than 28. 7 - driving style and patterns makes a big difference with the PHEV - my neighbour is achieving 140+ mpg as he does shorter trips than me

I guess it's all down to where you can fit the charging in.

PHEVs do seem to be even harder to predict real life consumption from the official figures - diesel/petrol are difficult emough with big variations for the same model.

Agree - due to being dual fuel it all depends how you use it - I drive all week on battery because I do around 11 mile trips between charges (I could manage 20-30 depending on temperature) so in theory infinite mpg is possible until the computer forces petrol use to prevent stale fuel

PHEV doesn't suit everyone - if I was doing high mileage on motorways or wanted to tow another big twin axle it wouldn't be right for me but with the growing anti diesel lobby choices may be reduced

The friend with the PHEV just bought a Lexus Petrol/Hybrid as well and is seeing 35+ mpg so for me that could be a viable diesel alternative if the PHEV didn't meet my requirements in the future

Lots of drivers go for the PHEV based on manufacturers claimed 166 mpg and low BIK for company vehicles then expect this figure on 30k miles a year - it's totally unrealistic

For me the free VED, free parking in York when charging, free electric in some places when parked, low company vehicle BIK, fraction of my previous LRs prices, more reliable to date, high spec, toys that work and low running costs so nothing to moan about - and that's unusual for me :lol:

Edited by Muddywheels

Coming back to the claimed 28. 7 mpg over 24 miles :unsure:

Today I travelled 43 miles - made up of 4 trips starting with full battery but no recharge facility during day - some overtaking, some dual carriageway and some queuing in heavy traffic later due to rush hour traffic - I recorded 64. 2 mpg so completely baffled by the above claim :blink:

post-49019-0-69689100-1484766609_thumb.jpg

Coming back to the claimed 28. 7 mpg over 24 miles :unsure:

Today I travelled 43 miles - made up of 4 trips starting with full battery but no recharge facility during day - some overtaking, some dual carriageway and some queuing in heavy traffic later due to rush hour traffic - I recorded 64. 2 mpg so completely baffled by the above claim :blink:

attachicon.gifDSC_0677. JPG

You started with a full battery - perhaps the 28. 7 is based on a journey after being parked with no opportunity to recharge, with all the charge used in the previous journey.

Not everyone can recharge at home - if they only have on-street parking for instance.

Good point :)

So he says he did 28. 7 going and 335 return after charging at work - that's an average of 181. 8 mpg - what more does he want :lol:

Oh - wait a minute - the phev automatically works out mpg daily for some reason by default so unless he did it using manual button that means the 335 mpg was actually the average for both legs of trip if done same day - either way not bad :)

Edited by Muddywheels

I am giving the PHEV some consideration. Tax rules mean I must buy a new to get 100% write down FYA but HM Buzzards have reduced subsidy to £2500 and increased BIK to 7%. I have had two long test runs and am going off to another dealer tomorrow to have another go (now I have got the hang of the operational side) to check out the bits they don't tell you about.

Wifes Focus Ecoboost does around 35mpg and 4k round the door so I am thinking she should run the phev for next to nothing. She constantly moans about the loss of her X-Trail due to DPF issues cause by her pottering about so this seems like the ideal replacement.

I am struggling to get a decent discount on a brand new car, £33k is the best I can do in England and £36k up here. Where did you get £8k off list?

Gem Caravans (Fife) Ltd.

ALL MAKES SERVICING AND REPAIRS

BAILEY TRANSIENT WARRANTY, LUNAR AND COACHMAN WARRANTY

www. gemcaravancare.co.uk 07803 922945

WORKSHOP NOW OPEN