Sorrento To Touareg.....?

Timanita

Hi all,
Well we've been cavavaning now for about 14 months, using my beloved Kia Sorrento kx3 auto 2013 model and I love it. ...thing is wife says it's not doing her street cred any good and wants to change to ( admittedly) a better looking vw touareg. ...I driven one of the same year and its auto. ..I now it's better from a weight prospective. ..but I'm I doing the right thing. ..the Kia has so many toys on it, but tows our van at 86% the touareg will be at 75%.........

Mmmmmmmm. .......

Any help please. ...
Ta
Tim

I'M OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER. ...But I don't. ...???

Tim

Had my touareg for 6mths now and I reckon it's one of the best cars I've ever had. Beautiful to drive and fantastic to tow with (you forget you've got a van on the back!).

Just make sure you get one with a factory towbar fitted as they will have additional cooling fans fitted. If you do aftermarket the recommendation is to upgrade the fans, and if you do that the bill can come to over £1k! A lot of people with aftermarket tow bars fitted didn't bother with the fans upgrade and for me, I wouldn't want to play around with things on a car like the Touareg.

You won't be disappointed if you do change, I've not looked back, and even now I still have a smile on my face every time I get in it

85 > 75 difference in towing ratio - in reality means that both are good towcars and no reason to choose one over the other for towing.

If you're going to miss the equipment level on the Sorento, it might be cheaper to change the wife for one that doesn't demand so much street cred !

• Like 4

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

You will find performance solo and towing is a world appart

If I'd have known I was going to be this thirsty this morning I'd have drunk more last night

I can see how the VW is a little cooler than a Kia, but let's remember you tow a caravan, so you can't be all that worried about Street cred!

If image is important you'll be wanting a LR

• Like 1

Hi all,

Well we've been cavavaning now for about 14 months, using my beloved Kia Sorrento kx3 auto 2013 model and I love it. ...thing is wife says it's not doing her street cred any good and wants to change to ( admittedly) a better looking vw touareg. ...I driven one of the same year and its auto. ..I now it's better from a weight prospective. ..but I'm I doing the right thing. ..the Kia has so many toys on it, but tows our van at 86% the touareg will be at 75%.........

Mmmmmmmm. .......

Any help please. ...

Ta

So your considering changing your perfectly adequate towcar because your wife feels its damaging her street credibility ? I could see the point if your car was not up to the job but really its down to looks and what others think !!!!

2023 Pilote P696GJ for European touring-  2022 Coachman VIP 565 for touring the UK towed by a 2022 Audi Q5 TFSI-e  S-Line

Street cred, X5 or a porsh . ....

Shogun SWB, Adria Isonzo +Dwt Paradies 280 . ... 78% match. Pitchin next to you sometime. ..!!!!

If street cred is the only reason for changing I would be looking at changing street :)

• Like 1

I'm biased. I bought a 2 year old Touareg in January.

Our first proper outing with the van was at Easter.

What can I say, its the best tow car we have ever had bar none and we have had a few.

End of story.

We did look at a Sorrento, mainly because of the love for them on here.

Errrr, no thanks.

You get what you pay for in my opinion.

You'll pay a premium for the VW for a good reason. You only live once, just go for it.

Charlie C

• Like 1

Can`t go wrong with the Touareg, superb! As mentioned go with factory fit tow bar but don`t expect the fridge to work.

• Like 1

I have an aftermarket tow bar on mine and i, along with a few other Touareg owners I know haven't had the fan upgraded and we have not experienced any issues with cooling.

Charlie C

Edited by Charlie C

Can`t go wrong with the Touareg, superb! As mentioned go with factory fit tow bar but don`t expect the fridge to work.

Or spend 30 minutes running a bit of wire from the socket to the battery (via a fuse) and then your fridge will work too.

Tony

Or spend 30 minutes running a bit of wire from the socket to the battery (via a fuse) and then your fridge will work too.

Tony

I think this is not a good option. The fridge needs power from the alternator not the battery via a split charge relay.

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

We ran a Sorento for five years - fantastic motor took us all over Europe and Morocco and never once let us down and the wife reckons it was a more comfortable car than our Disco 4. Had no problems with ''image'' or street cred and where we live BMWs are as common as muck plus several Porsche cars and a couple of Bentleys.

Only changed it when it got to its fifth birthday and the ''new'' generation Sorento had had a weight downgrade so we bit the bullet and bought the Disco 4 - which is now 4. 5 years old and as also been all over Europe and never let us down.

At the end of the day you pays your money and makes your choice :D

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

Have had a Touareg for just over a year. Also,in the past,had a new (then) 2005 Sorento.

The Sorento was a lovely solo and tow car. It just plugged away when towing.

However (you knew that was coming didn't you!),the Touareg is in a different league.

I suggest you test drive both back to back. I was ambivalent until I test drove the VW.

I immediately cancelled my order for a Santa Fe (another excellent car/towcar) and paid the extra.

Superb!

Edited by paulthomas

I think this is not a good option. The fridge needs power from the alternator not the battery via a split charge relay.

Only an issue if you're likely to leave the car connected for long periods without the engine running. If that's the case then use a VSR - they're cheap enough.

I had an aftermarket towbar and electrics fitted to my Touareg. Fridge works whilst being towed.

If you order a factory fitted towbar (recommended) and stress that it must be to British standards then it should power the fridge.

Plenty of details relating to this issue on "Mytreg" forum.

Two words spring to mind with the VW

MASSIVE bills

Good luck

• Like 2

Power unit at front all the time, Van behind (hopefully) some of the time unless I'm reversing then it's all the other way round . .... Or is it?

Cool can be costly. The Skoda used to be uncool but cheap and now it's become a mainstream player and cool and carries a bigger price tag. Who knows, the Kia may become cool. The Toerag is cool but costly. Take your pick!

John. :D

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

Not really.

35 mpg solo.

25 mpg towing.

Service costs included in purchase packet but not prohibitive anyway in relation to similar cars.

Tyres can be expensive however.

Found the Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres (which the car came with) for £162/tyre. So only about 20 quid more than my previous merc, but at the mo I reckon I will get 25k out of each set rather than 12k out of a set of rear tyres

Found the Goodyear Eagle F1 tyres (which the car came with) for £162/tyre. So only about 20 quid more than my previous merc, but at the mo I reckon I will get 25k out of each set rather than 12k out of a set of rear tyres

Thanks for that. I'll bear that in mind when the time comes.

Not really.

35 mpg solo.

25 mpg towing.

Service costs included in purchase packet but not prohibitive anyway in relation to similar cars.

Tyres can be expensive however.

£1600 for a water pump !! Fitted

. ........ MASSIVE bills

Power unit at front all the time, Van behind (hopefully) some of the time unless I'm reversing then it's all the other way round . .... Or is it?