Sign in to follow this  
ianmc

Best Route To Narbonne

I have towed to Narbonne from Calais in August a couple of times but never used the A26/A7 . I am trying to make the journey as stress free as possible and this route seems to be straight forward as is it`s all autoroute. A possible over night stop at Dijon. Has anyone any views on this route?

If you want a stress free run, cut across to the A75 at Clermont Ferrand and enjoy the scenery thru the Auvergne and Millau viaduct. No tolls either apart from the bridge and that can be avoided by detouring via the town.

Edited by MalH

Only used A26,twice. ..other route have done in reverse.

Geoff

Agree with MalH, super route on the A75, and the Millau Viaduct is worth the toll.

There are convenient campsites at Issoire J12, with cheap fuel at Carrefour, then St Flour J28 with cheap fuel at J29.

Enjoy the scenery.

we go Reims, Troyes, Dijon, Lyon and turn right at Avignon[ish]

we break the journey at Bannes at a lovely little site called Camping Hautoreille has an on site restaurant and free wifi.

A75!

Break the journey at Millau (Les Rivages would be my recommendation) and get the night more or less for free by saving the bridge toll and filling up at the Geant supermarket (on the right as you head into the town)

I never fill up with the van though, set up and pop back for fuel and food plus a bottle of tipple to wash it down with.

I`ve done the A75 a couple of times before and stopped over in Issoire. I found the A75 clear one year but the next year it was rammed ! Paris is always a pain so I think Rouen the better option? I went through Rouen a few years ago and I remember that to be slow going but not as slow as Paris.

A 75 all the way, we have done this route a few times now. If stopping over for more than a couple of nights then I give another vote for Camping Le Rivages in Millau. However if you are looking for a night stop or two, and prepared to pay the Millau bridge toll, there is a cracking little site at Severac le Chateau, Camping Les Calquieres. This site is just off the A 75 a few clicks north of Millau and is ACSI site. There is a small supermarket and filling station a couple of hundred yards from the site.

• Like 1

I tend to agree on the A75, scenery through the Massif Central is fantastic.

My route to Spain,Costa Brava goes past Narbonne and costs less than 50 Euros in tolls.

First night at Neufchatel en Bray, fuel next door supermarket,literally.

Then via Rouen,[ try to make that early on Sat or Sun] Evreux, Dreux, Chartres, Orleans, and then second night at Gien on the side of the Loire. Fuel across the river at the supermarket.

Then Nevers, Moulins, Gannet, Clermont Ferrand, pick up the A75,and overnight at St Flour.

Next day fuel at J29, A75 to Beziers via Millau Viaduct, [a marvelous piece of British design], Then A9 to Narbonne.

Of course if this is too sedate you can increase the daily mileage and select other stopovers.

Have a good hoiday.