Sign in to follow this  
Pauljf

Fuse Blowing From Van Batt+ Any Help Apreciated

Hi.

I have been getting my Van ready for seasonal pitch and have discovered a problem.

None of the lights etc work on the 12v circuit and upon investigation I noticed a blown fuse which is the 15A blue fuse shown on the pic labelled VAN BATT+

post-72200-0-09634200-1427285073_thumb.jpg

post-72200-0-14698200-1427285075_thumb.jpg

When I replaced the fuse it blows straight away when I connect to mains.

The indicator on the battery is showing some charge but nothing in the van works without mains connection.

When attached to mains which it will be on site then everything works just fine so this is not a major issue to me but I would like to diagnose the fault and repair to maintain the value.

Has anybody got any ideas what could be causing this.

The caravan is 2008 coachman wandered 18/4

Regards

Paul

I had the same problem, changed the battery and now all is well.

I believe that the plates in the battery warp and tough shorting out the battery (and fuse)

Check out e-bay around £50 ish

Hi.

I have been getting my Van ready for seasonal pitch and have discovered a problem.

None of the lights etc work on the 12v circuit and upon investigation I noticed a blown fuse which is the 15A blue fuse shown on the pic labelled VAN BATT+

attachicon.gifConsumer unit Fuse Board 1. JPG

attachicon.gifConsumer unit Fuse Board 2. JPG

When I replaced the fuse it blows straight away when I connect to mains.

The indicator on the battery is showing some charge but nothing in the van works without mains connection.

When attached to mains which it will be on site then everything works just fine so this is not a major issue to me but I would like to diagnose the fault and repair to maintain the value.

Has anybody got any ideas what could be causing this.

The caravan is 2008 coachman wandered 18/4

Regards

Paul

Hi Paul

I suspect the problem is the battery is very low in charge, and when you plug the mains in the charger tries to put more than the 15 amps the fuse is rated at, so blows it.

I had the same problem with my van when I first got it some few years ago, and did some tests with a ammeter and as the charger is

rated at 20 amps and when the battery was low it fried to put near 20 amps into the battery, which blew the fuse.

So I charged the battery off the van and retried and was fine, until the voltage dropped again and it did it again.

I contacted Bailey and spoke with a tech and he did some checks, and came back to me and suggested to up the fuse to 20 amps, with a little apprehension, but he assured me it would be fine !

So I changed the fuse and never had a problem since.

The point is yes it is a higher rating, but if there is a fault then the 20 will blow, so protecting the circuit !

Check the battery voltage with a multimeter - fully charged it should be at least 12. 6 volts but anything much below 11 volts could mean the battery is damaged. See http://www. mycaravan. org. uk/Battery. html

The purpose of fuses is to protect the wiring, not the connected equipment. You could try a 20amp fuse if you are confident that the wiring can take the extra load, but I would do as already said and give the battery a charge out of the van.

Edited by onewheelonmywagon

Thanks, that does make sense if the charge has fallen too low over the winter months.

I will remove the battery and charge off the van then retry.

I will feedback the results.

Paul

Just for info.

As recommended I removed the battery and charged off the caravan, then returned it and replaced the fuse with a 20A fuse.

Plugged the van in and continued to fully charge with the caravan plugged in.

I have now replaced the fuse with the original 15A fuse and all is working as it should.

Thanks for the replies and advice, as it lead to a fix under £1.

Regards

Paul

I have a bailey senator series 6 2008 caravan I have lost power in everything in my caravan I put the microwave on and it blow everything got no power at all, something wrong in my caravan but can't find out what, all fuses look OK unless I have missed a space fuse or something somewhere, van batt+ has blown but put another 15A blue fuse from fridge and it just made somethink buzz and flash near heating temperature switch near water tank switch on sofa, just wondering Would anybody know what it would be? Can't think why I got no power in my caravan at all battery is saying it got 12v as put it on my battery tester but got no power in there at all, please help if u can 

Kate

27 minutes ago, Kat said:

I have a bailey senator series 6 2008 caravan I have lost power in everything in my caravan I put the microwave on and it blow everything got no power at all, something wrong in my caravan but can't find out what, all fuses look OK unless I have missed a space fuse or something somewhere, van batt+ has blown but put another 15A blue fuse from fridge and it just made somethink buzz and flash near heating temperature switch near water tank switch on sofa, just wondering Would anybody know what it would be? Can't think why I got no power in my caravan at all battery is saying it got 12v as put it on my battery tester but got no power in there at all, please help if u can 

Kate

Kat. The fuses you are checking run off the 12v system. 
The microwave runs off 240v mains. Have you got the mains cable connected?

You have trips also known as MCB's as well as fuses. These only control the mains 240V when hooked up to the mains. Make sure non of these are "tripped". 

One of them should be marked RCD and this protects you and the circuits from shorting to earth. This can trip and then turn off all the mains. The RCD trip has a "test" button as well. 

Bear in mind that this thread is 5 years old a d we advise members to start a new topic if they have a problem rather than piggyback onto another thread. 

We and our members are here to help you. 

Hi Jan and Jay, and Wispman

Thanks for getting back to me u said wispman I have trips also known as MCB's as well as fuses. Where would the MCB's be on my caravan? Ie location of it photo if good, I and new to also caravan stuff and the user manual ain't really telling me a lot,

Jan, Jay and wispman I was not hooked up to the mains I was trying to run of my Leisure battery and a 4000 (8000w peak) power inverter DC 12V to 240v I have said I put the microwave on and it blew everything in my caravan what could it be I have no power battery good, inverter good, it must be something simple hopefully as all 12v caravan side of electrics don't work, no light, no saying on side near door volts on battery left everything is dead help if u can thanks again kat

Your problem is the inverter. It probably has blown fuses or the MCBs. Look at the photos at the top if this thread. Particularly the top photo showing fuses on the left and MCBs on the right. If you want 240V mains you need to hook up to an external mains supply not use an inverter. Your inverter could ruin the battery. Find the blown fuse or reset the MCBs first to get back the 12V battery supply. Disconnect the inverter. 

Do you have fellow caravanners nearby? Someone will help you I'm sure. 

Posted (edited)

An inverter rated at 800watts with draw around 1200-1500 watt when it's operating. That equals about 4-6amps at 240 volts. A microwave does not take a continuous current it pulses the output which means that  the average power that's applied to the food (say 800w) is supplied in short to medium bursts of nearly twice that

HOWEVER

1200 watts at 12 volts = 100amps.  So the only way to connect up an inverter  is directy to the battery (ideally with a 200amp fuse) with shor but big thick cables to reduce the voltage drop.

If you've tried running it from the van wiring then you have more than likely blown the main battery fuse which is usually only rated at 20amps. Bailey tend to fit this fuse into the cabling tucked very close to the battery box (in one of my Baileys it was very tightly taped into the loom and actually tuck underneath the battery box (look very carefully at the cabling as it exist the battery box and follow the wiring and you'll probably find it)

Do not try to run an inverter like that from a leisure battery. 1000w = 83amps and 4000w = 333amps. The peak load can be double that.

Leisure batteries are not designed for sustained high loads so you need a battery or batteries of a suitable design and capacity to cope if you are intending to use an inverter.

If you tell us exactly what you did - how you connected the 12v side of the inverter and how you connected the 240 side (where they were connected) and exactly whay happede then it would be easier to diagnose what went wrong - I guess that it didn't affect the MCBs epsecially as it seems that all the 12v devices are not working.

Did you plug the EHU inlet to the inverter and then connect it to the battery in some way. What was switched on when you did whatever you did.

Edited by matelodave