Sign in to follow this  
250bob

Faulty U3 Electric Hook Up Socket.

As was suggested, here is a separate topic on this subject.

The electric hook up plug and socket on my new U3 is extremely loose, and I can hear a noise similar to crackling or sparking when the cable is plugged in to the socket, and the electrical connection is very random.

This has happened with 3 hook up cables, strongly indicating the problem is with the socket on the caravan.

My dealer is fitting a new socket this week to see if that solves the issue.

I understand that this problem could lead to overheating of the plug and socket, and is therefore potentially very dangerous.

If you have had a similar problem, perhaps you can indicate so on this specific thread, so that we can see if it is a wider problem or just a one off.

Thanks

Bob

Edited by 250bob
  • Like 1

It certainly sounds like a faulty socket and the noise would indicate arcing which could cause overheating and potentially fire.

Do not use in this condition.

John.

It certainly sounds like a faulty socket and the noise would indicate arcing which could cause overheating and potentially fire.

Do not use in this condition.

John.

I had a non caravan electrical engineer look at it yesterday, he took one look, and said whatever I do . .. "DONT PLUG IT IN AND LEAVE IT" , "INFACT DONT PLUG IT IN AT ALL".

• Like 1

My socket is a loose fit also and is not making a connection at all, I have spoke with my service company and they have rang bailey who have stated they are not aware of any issues at all with the socket.

I have asked them to get me a new one which I will pay for in till it goes in for service

I guess I'd better check mine before we head off for 3 weeks in France :)

like i said on the previous thread my first concern was the ease at which the socket connected and came apart tried three more hook ups all were the same i contacted Bailey direct and my dealer who advised there had not been any other issues, i visited my dealer today and tried a hook up on four vans on display with the sales man three were loose !! he has ordered up a new one for us, i cant say i heard any crackling but i was not listening to closely.

I wonder if its a faulty batch? Maybe looking at build dates could localise the problem?

Mine is a Jan 15 build and seems fine

Not really a Bailey issue, they just buy them in in bulk, although they could have bought a dud batch. The van is new, responsibility lies with the dealer.

Not really a Bailey issue, they just buy them in in bulk, although they could have bought a dud batch. The van is new, responsibility lies with the dealer.

Yes, everyones first port of call is with the dealer of course. ......it looks as if there are some other loose fitting sockets judging by the responses. ...but whether or not they are loose enough to cause problems, we shall have to wait and see.

Mine is loose, but I didn't spot or hear any arcing. I'll have a good look next time we go away.

Mine is loose, but I didn't spot or hear any arcing. I'll have a good look next time we go away.

I found that arcing can be heard more readily if the plug very is gently wiggled in the socket. But then it continues to make the noise after I've stopped moving it.

Does anyone know if the dealers are informing Bailey and if so what has their response been if any?

The arcing will be more profound if there is a greater load present. Such as if the kettle is switched on or the electric heating on the 3kw setting!

The arcing will be more profound if there is a greater load present. Such as if the kettle is switched on or the electric heating on the 3kw setting!

Or in my case, nothing switched on. !!!! And still lots of arcing.

• Like 1

Or in my case, nothing switched on. !!!! And still lots of arcing.

As with everything 230V, if it isn't working right, do not use. 230V is too dangereous unless it is properly under control!

As with everything 230V, if it isn't working right, do not use. 230V is too dangereous unless it is properly under control!

Agree completely. .... Mine hasn't been on a hook up for over 3 weeks, since I discovered the problem. .....the solar panel is proving very useful indeed under the circumstances.

And this is also one problem I'm not even attempting to DIY fix. Still waiting my dealer to come out with new replacement socket where they will do the fix on my drive.

Edited by 250bob
  • Like 1

Mine's OK with three different extension leads. It's not everso tight like some have been but you can feel the pins & sockets gripping and there's no evidence of arcing. My Cadiz was built on 10th March

Mine's OK with three different extension leads. It's not everso tight like some have been but you can feel the pins & sockets gripping and there's no evidence of arcing. My Cadiz was built on 10th March

Another thing to check when I pick up my Cadiz 3 on the 9th April

It appears by the number of posts that this is not as big an issue as thought then?

It appears by the number of posts that this is not as big an issue as thought then?

Maybe with the high sales and production run Bailey have had to look at other product suppliers that they don't normally use. Hopefully they have rectified the problem and will recall units which may have had faulty sockets fitted. Not sure if they read this forum but it would be great for them getting product feedback and useful for them to resolve issues like this.

Have we yet established whether it's 5, 50, 500 or 5000 sockets that are causing a problem? Sometimes a few dodgy ones can get out of all proportion. Lets establish the facts.

Even though mine fizzes and crackles, I don't think I have yet heard of anyone with quite the same issue to such an extent, so nothing to get over excited about perhaps. Several have reported loose fitting sockets, and one or two maybe have dodgy/intermittent electrical connections as a result.

However. ......if those with the problem don't report it on such a forum as this, then others maybe wont be aware that they should at least check their own units.

So it would be wrong for anyone to suggest people are moaning and complaining when pointing out these problems. If they don't get satisfactorily addressed by the supplier, then that's the time to moan.

At the same time, there will be some Unicorn owners that might not enjoy problems with Unicorns being reported. ...they may consider it reflects badly on Unicorns, including their own Unicorn. ?? They will then take the attitude of complaining about those that complain. ...and require them to justify the complaint. .......maybe. ??

Edited by 250bob

I have since tried a new mains cable which seems to have done the trick and without meaning to tempt fate. Not as loose fitting as the original. We are not away until the end of next month so not able to give a lasting verdict other than three hours or so plugged in in storage.

I have since tried a new mains cable which seems to have done the trick and without meaning to tempt fate. Not as loose fitting as the original. We are not away until the end of next month so not able to give a lasting verdict other than three hours or so plugged in in storage.

Sounds very much as if the over tolerance of the plug or socket of one connector is cancelling out the under tolerance of its opposite connector.

I tried to provoke a disconnection by waggling the mains plug and socket on our new U3. The fit is a bit "easy" but the microwave clock stayed on so I think ours is OK.