2015 Affinity 540 & Kojack

Hi Everyone,

Having picked up our new Affinity 540 a couple of weeks ago, I have to say that SWMBO and I are both over the moon with her.

However, I've come across a bit of a problem. ..

I bought a Kojack from the dealer, then read through the Alko manual to ensure that I fitted it correctly. As I'm sure you're all aware, there are two vertically aligned holes behind the axle specifically for jacking the van up. When getting underneath and trying to fit the brackets I discovered that the mudflap batons were mounted directly in line and thus prevented me from bolting the jack brackets on.

Now, this is where it gets a little awkward; what at first appeared to be a simple case of removing the 2 screws retaining the batons, bolting on the jack brackets and then re-fixing (possibly with minor adjustment) the batons has turned out to be anything but. Turns out that the screws in the batons were only there as a temporary support whilst the resin that Elddis used to bond the batons to the bottom of the floor cured. That's right - they've bonded the batons to the floor.

Now, I'm not averse to a bit of DIY, but I don't much like the idea of trying to remove fully cured and bonded resin on a brand-new 20K caravan.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to do? I'm tempted to simply write an email to Elddis and ask them how they expect / recommend their customers jack up their caravans when their manufacturing processes have prevented the chassis manufacturer's jacking points from being used. Any other ideas gratefully received.

I have the brackets fitted on my 2014 Swift Challenger SE, which has retro fit mudflaps, doesn't seem to be an issue on my 'van but my dealer fitted them so not sure if they had issues.

Certainly a more substantial bit of kit than the Alko Jack supplied with my two Swift Group dealer specials that came before.

Used a trolley jack on the vans before that.

2018 Swift Elegance 580  towed by a 2018 Volvo XC60 D5 Power Pulse R Design

Hi Everyone,

Having picked up our new Affinity 540 a couple of weeks ago, I have to say that SWMBO and I are both over the moon with her.

However, I've come across a bit of a problem. ..

I bought a Kojack from the dealer, then read through the Alko manual to ensure that I fitted it correctly. As I'm sure you're all aware, there are two vertically aligned holes behind the axle specifically for jacking the van up. When getting underneath and trying to fit the brackets I discovered that the mudflap batons were mounted directly in line and thus prevented me from bolting the jack brackets on.

Now, this is where it gets a little awkward; what at first appeared to be a simple case of removing the 2 screws retaining the batons, bolting on the jack brackets and then re-fixing (possibly with minor adjustment) the batons has turned out to be anything but. Turns out that the screws in the batons were only there as a temporary support whilst the resin that Elddis used to bond the batons to the bottom of the floor cured. That's right - they've bonded the batons to the floor.

Now, I'm not averse to a bit of DIY, but I don't much like the idea of trying to remove fully cured and bonded resin on a brand-new 20K caravan.

Does anyone have any ideas on what to do? I'm tempted to simply write an email to Elddis and ask them how they expect / recommend their customers jack up their caravans when their manufacturing processes have prevented the chassis manufacturer's jacking points from being used. Any other ideas gratefully received.

email Elddis I'm sure they can explain what to do, i fitted the same ones to my omega, from memory i think i had to put the nuts on the inside as was difficult to turn on outside.

When we owned a Elddis Affinity 540 2013 model I contacted them to ask which jack they recommended. I was advised to purchase a Kojack. Whether you fit the Kojack or Alko the brackets still need to be attached for the jack to be used. looks like the fitting of the mud flaps is incorrect.

sorry to go off topic, but I have waited till you got a few answers to your question, but we are picking up a affinity 540 2015 next month. Been away from towing for a number of years, what are your views on the van, how does it tow, what to look for on pick-up day, is fit and finish good,

Again sorry to hijack your post, but I've not found anyone with a 2015 540

Cheers Paul

sorry to go off topic, but I have waited till you got a few answers to your question, but we are picking up a affinity 540 2015 next month. Been away from towing for a number of years, what are your views on the van, how does it tow, what to look for on pick-up day, is fit and finish good,

Cheers Paul

2nd daft question - what electrics are on it e. g. twin 7 pin plugs or 13 pin electrics

Cheers

Thanks for the replies everyone. Looks like an email to Elddis it is then.

Cheers Paul

In answer to your questions gradyp, we love the van - early days but brilliant so far. To be fair, it's the first caravan we've owned, but I used to go with my parents from age 4 to 19 so had a lot of experience caravanning, albeit it was just over 20 years ago. Fit and finish is exemplary by the way.

With regards towing, bringing her home was the first time that I've towed anything more than a mile or so. I found it a little jumpy for the first mile or two, but then it seemed to settle down and towed supremely well. Obviously, different tow cars will have different characteristics so I can't guarantee it'll tow as well with yours, but I came up the M5 in 6th gear with the cruise control set at 60mph and she went up all the hills without wavering in any way - straight up Clevedon at J20 and the Avonmouth bridge also.

Only issues we saw on pick-up day were a bowing left-hand wardrobe door and a couple of very small marks such as around the alarm override by the door that was touched in with a layer of wax.

And yes, as Russ says, it comes with 13-pin elecrtrics.

Hope that helps, let me know if you need any further info.

Thanks for the replies everyone. Looks like an email to Elddis it is then.

In answer to your questions gradyp, we love the van - early days but brilliant so far. To be fair, it's the first caravan we've owned, but I used to go with my parents from age 4 to 19 so had a lot of experience caravanning, albeit it was just over 20 years ago. Fit and finish is exemplary by the way.

With regards towing, bringing her home was the first time that I've towed anything more than a mile or so. I found it a little jumpy for the first mile or two, but then it seemed to settle down and towed supremely well. Obviously, different tow cars will have different characteristics so I can't guarantee it'll tow as well with yours, but I came up the M5 in 6th gear with the cruise control set at 60mph and she went up all the hills without wavering in any way - straight up Clevedon at J20 and the Avonmouth bridge also.

Only issues we saw on pick-up day were a bowing left-hand wardrobe door and a couple of very small marks such as around the alarm override by the door that was touched in with a layer of wax.

And yes, as Russ says, it comes with 13-pin elecrtrics.

Hope that helps, let me know if you need any further info.

Thanks for the reply , , and again sorry for going off topic.

Just ordered adaptor from 7pin to 13 pin from ebay.

• 1 month later...

Just to update everyone, I followed the advice provided and emailed Elddis.

They replied the next business day to say that I should contact the dealer and get them to move the batons under warranty. Although I've spoked with the dealer I'm yet to get the work done due to lack of time however, the dealer have confirmed that they are more than happy to do this at my convenience.