Carbon Fibre Tripods - What Is All Of The Fuss About.

AWanderingLancastrian

Hi to all of you snappers out there.

Having recently taken up my cameras again and adding both film and digital examples to them after many years of other things getting in the way, I have been scanning the pages of the various magazines.

I came across an advert for a Carbon Fibre tripod at £99. 95 albeit it was fitted with a ball mounted top-plate and looked to be good buy for those that cannot afford a £300. 00+ one.

It has a maximum height of 140cm and a minimum/closed of 39cm and boasted that it weighed ONLY 1. 256kgs.

I immediately hauled out my old but trusty aluminium Interfit VGT-602 and set-about a (refresher) précis of it.

Yes,it might only have a maximum height of 1. 260cm and a minimum height of 460cm BUT come-on "Alfie", it weighs a staggering 1. 030kgs (1030gms).

The advertised one is almost a full quarter kilogram heavier AND it is carbon fibre - Am I missing something ?

On the subject of Tripods. Have you seen the Subscription offer of a HAMA Star 63 Tripod with a spare Quick-release plate when subscribing to Digital Photo magazine.

Edited by AWanderingLancastrian

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

Seven Day Shop do sometimes get some good kit in.

I use a heavy Benbo trekker which has come very close

to being e-bayed on more than one occasion but it is such

a good tripod indoors or out.

I looked at carbon fibre (when I was working) and the premium

tripods have very thin walled, rigid leg tubes and are super light.

I generally carry just a monopod nowadays.

I use this little gadget when the tripod is to much to pack.

http://www. amazon. co. uk/gp/product/B003D5YJ8S?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Ford C-Max and Coachman Festival 380/2 SE 2006    Motto  Carpe Diem

Still trying to find the perfect pitch. ..110 amp Battery+ 65 watt roof mounted Solar and 25 watt Wind Turbine. LED lighting. Status Aerial 315. Loose chattels marked with UV,. Safefill Gas Fitted.

The tripod does things that even electronic anti shake cannot do (yet?)

I use mine at home more and more as I like to remember the great photos

not the great carry :D

I do however love my monopod, perhaps its a bloke thing :D with a little

practice it will help get those otherwise blurred shots.

• Like 1

The cheapest carbon fibre tripod is likely to be cheap and nasty even if it costs more than a half decent aluminium one.

Ah yes, tripods. ...those presents you buy your camera . ...and leave in the car boot.

Hi Eric. Yes,I can go with that one and especially before I got to the point where certain positions were difficult to maintain and stability with a prosthetic knee and the other one falling apart by the month and I could use telephoto lenses at incredibly low shutter speeds and still have good results.

Indeed,in all of the years since buying my first in the early 80's, I have probably not used it above a couple of dozen times.

I am seriously considering a Monopod with the ball mounted plate.

Edited by AWanderingLancastrian

Life in general can be a journey of chance with some winners and sadly some losers. Your outfit can never be left to chance. A short-while carrying out essential checks can ensure a long-time of happy & safe caravanning for all concerned.
Ignorance can often be bliss but is certainly not an excuse and when continually disregarded they can be totally disastrous for oneself and the innocent parties.

I got a combined monopod/walking pole a couple of years ago. useful if you need assistance with walking or use one anyway

http://www. leki. co. uk/index3. asp?id=423&section=<BR><B>Photosystem - Camera Monopod Poles</B><P>&set=2

Edited by Ich

My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely

Seven Day Shop do sometimes get some good kit in.

I use a heavy Benbo trekker which has come very close

to being e-bayed on more than one occasion but it is such

a good tripod indoors or out.

I looked at carbon fibre (when I was working) and the premium

tripods have very thin walled, rigid leg tubes and are super light.

I generally carry just a monopod nowadays.

+1 . ... another vote for the trusty Benbo Trekker . ..... great bit of kit . ....

Pete

Mine : Land Rover Defender 90, big, black and shiney.
Polly's : Land Rover Discovery Sport, HSE in Scotia Grey . .......
Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, which supports our community.