Sign in to follow this  
Macca1972

Crusader Tempest Eb 2014 First Service Damp

Well, what can i say we are a family of 4 with 2 girls 7 and 4 and the Tempest is excellent in just about every way. Tows well, plenty of space and basically delivers well on every front.

We picked up our van on 1st April 2014 - no jokes please a true date and I'm guessing we will be some of the first to post service updates as we had ours fairly early. The van has been on the whole excellent with the exception of a few minor issues which we have lived with until first service.

We went to pick it up today and I'm afraid it was a bit of a tale of woe.

Amongst other things we have an issue with the skylight / panoramic window misting up - The dealer has done nothing about this and expects us to go along with his version of events, as the manufacture of the windows, or Elddis will not do anything about this issue - WITHOUT EVEN CONTACTING THEM ON THIS SPECIFIC ISSUE.

A few other minor items were incomplete, no show stoppers, however the damp report showed a reading of 28% around the main roof light, and above both wheel arches our van recorded over 65% damp.

This is less than a year old, SOLID construction I'm gutted.

I left the van with the dealer and have requested a replacement or refund under SOGA I cannot believe what I have seen and experienced today.

Paul.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear of your woes Paul. What did the dealer say when you stated you were leaving it with them for a replacement or refund?

Hope you get it all sorted soon, as the season is about to start proper!

65% damp at first service is outrageous. I quite agree with you. Replacement or refund would be my stance too.

Hi Milky,

I don't think they were too impressed and was told I couldn't leave it and I should discuss our issues with their General Manager I told them they couldn't stop me from leaving it. I told the GM of my intentions, also that I would follow it up on Monday with a letter from our solicitor, listened to him and the service manager whine on for a while disputing we had received poor customer service, then scooped the family up and left van less. :angry:

Paul.

Got the van out of storage today and took it for its 2nd service (2013 Avante 564).

Having had no access to the caravan for 5 months and with the rear panel and both Heki roof lights replaced under warranty in 2014 I was keen to see if any damp had made its way in over the winter.

The damp test revealed no issues whatsoever.

All was going well until another motorist damaged the van on the journey home!

Not sure if anyone is interested in an update but here goes anyway. ..

We decided to let Elddis have our van back to attend to the issues and their aftersales department were very good indeed very reassuring and did exactly what they said they were going to do. The van was returned just in time for our holiday to France and we have to say they had done a really good job on it and it was very clean and tidy.

It's been back in storage now for a couple of weeks and as were off midweek went to collect it today. As I reversed up to it i said to Rachel (SWMBO) that theres a problem, I could see the skylight blind sagging and dishevelled. Upon entering there were puddles of water sodden squabs, mould, deformed decorative mouldings wet carpet, wet sleeping bags I was totally gutted.

As I've posted before the caravan really is great and suits our family well but with SWMBO in tears, and our two girls (4 and 7) in tears because our plans for next week are now in tatters, I'm totally at a loss. I genuinely do not want a refund or a different model of caravan but simply cannot live with the disappointment and stress this one is bringing almost on a monthly basis.

Come on Elddis, do the decent thing swap this nail of a van for a good one. At this rate I can see me 'delivering' it back to the Elddis stand in October at the NEC and causing a bit of a fuss. ***** off? totally! This shouldn't be the experience of purchasing a top end caravan.

- Please all note I do not have an axe to grind, and believe it to be the best family friendly caravan available on the market presently - wet beds and mould are seriously affecting my judgement though. Dropbox link below if anyone is interested in photos of today's discovery!

https://www. dropbox. com/sc/ds9md23d9m00a23/AAA1ddU-M6Q5nRgkWlLXSmmUa

Cheers

Paul.

Really feel for you, terrible (looked through all your photos) and such rubbish timing with family hols so close.

Hope Elddis customer sevices (we've found them to be helpful) can help you next week. Did you use credit card or finance for all, or part (at least £100 I believe), of purchase, if so they will help you.

Good luck.

just had to go out following a thunderstorm and bail out nearly a pint of water being held by the skylight blind. Oh dear things seem to be getting worse!

Paul. :angry:

just had to go out following a thunderstorm and bail out nearly a pint of water being held by the skylight blind. Oh dear things seem to be getting worse!

Paul. :angry:

Can't you seal it with waterproof tape just to stop it getting worse? Won't look pretty but save you having to keep bailing out.

Todays plan after its sufficiently dry

Paul,

Macca - if you paid for an element of it via a credit card or finance go down that route.

I feel so sorry for you. When do you go to France? Maybe the dealer can sort you out with a temp fix via mastic or something for you to at least have a break, then reject it when you get back. Anything mould related you need to get air to it and then use something called Sophis which kills all the active elements of it.

What layout is the van, as we have two kids too and haven't ever had an elddis (just baileys). I know no manufacturer is perfect but there may be an option for you if you can get agreement to chop it in that you look to another brand

Thanks Milky were fortunate that we have just come back from France, (we were going to make some more use of the school hold over the coming BH) seemingly ok and to be fair to Elddis the returned it to the factory and got it back to us within a tight deadline it just looks (now i've had time in the dry and light) like the sealant / bonding agent around the top of the panoramic skylight has failed and water is simply pouring in and has done so for a couple of weeks whilst in storage.

It's a 6 berth rear washroom with mid ships table (which is great because it seats 4 and transforms into another double - just) I know all manufacturers have their QA issues and as i keep saying I do not have an axe to grind with Elddis -just want this sorted PDQ.

Looked to go out and tape the rear edge of the skylight but i'd need 7' long arms!

P

Thats horrendous! To me this is simply badly put together?

Hope you get it swapped for a new one mate, you deserve it, if not go down the finance route or even write to DOM on BBC.

Best of luck.

Gutted for you all !

I know all manufacturers have their QA issues and as i keep saying I do not have an axe to grind with Elddis -just want this sorted PDQ.

P

That's a very generous stance to adopt. Not sure I'd feel the same. And you don't seem to be getting much dealer support, which is disappointing.

Initially the dealer was pretty unsupportive I have spoken with them yesterday and today and there does seem to be a slight improvement in their response. Anyway SoGA letter sent with photographic evidence both Emailed and hard copy registered delivery lets see what transpires over the next 24 or so hours! Kids have just about got over the disappointment of no trip away, not sure Mrs Mack has! :angry:

thanks for the support all.

Paul.

I got into thinking today.

Somethings

Odd

Loads of

Inapropriate

Damp

any others you can think of?

P

I got into thinking today.

Somethings

Odd

Loads of

Inapropriate

Damp

any others you can think of?

P

Glad that despite all, you've still got a sense of humour.

So visit you dealer, with your wife and children, and in unison "Shout Out Loud, It's Damp".

They might get the message.

Good one

Milliedog

Shame

Our

Lovely

Investment's

Decrepit

• Like 4

Good one

Milliedog

Shame

Our

Lovely

Investment's

Decrepit

My thoughts exactly !!

As we've now had 2 replacement rear panels my acronym would be:

Splits

Only

Lead

Into

Damp

We're still waiting for an acceptable resolution from Dealer and Elddis wondering how much more of the season we'll miss?

I might bring it to the NEC - just down the road from us here so that prospective purchasers can marvel at my Gaffa tape repair. ..

what do you all think?

P

• Like 1

I feel sorry for you mate. Even worse that the dealer or Elddis are not resolving your issue pronto, it should NOT be dragging on as long as it has.

Sincerely hope you get it sorted as quickly as possible.

I marvel at your patience and feel that your first reaction was the correct one. ..Dump it on their forecourt with a letter of rejection from you for the reasons you have described and your solicitors phone number in your pocket. It's the Dealer that should step up to the mark here and by the sound of it they don't want to know. Time for some heavy legal threats and you may get it sorted. It's just not good enough

It always amazes and annoys me, how some are unfortunate in that they can't get their dealer or manufacturer to sort out problems when they develop.

I had problems with my van, they weren't serious problems but annoying nonetheless.

The dealer ( I use that term loosely, because they are nothing but an incompetent lying bunch) I bought my van off were a disgrace in getting the problems I had with the van sorted out. Always blaming everybody else especially Elddis for the delay.

One day I had enough and contacted Elddis myself, only to be told that the dealer had not submitted any warranty claims for my van. Armed with this info, I went back to the dealer and told them exactly what Elddis had told me.

I only wish I had a camera because their faces would have made a brilliant picture.

I got back in touch with Elddis and told them there is no way these bunch of clowns are touching my van again.

I have to be honest, Elddis were most helpful throughout this whole saga, and put me in touch with another dealer who agreed to take on the warranty work on my van. .

The contrast between the two dealers is alarming, and the dealer who sorted out my van, now gets all my servicing work and when the time comes to change vans, will also get my custom.

• Like 2