Wet Locker Door - Leaking

RL100

Hello . . I have been reading this forum for years but this is my first post . .

I note there are lots of Posts regarding 'Wet Locker Doors' leaking, however I cannot find any suggested solutions and I need advice . . so here goes

My Wet Locker door, located on the side of my Bailey Senator Wyoming, leaks water into the plastic tray when it rains, at first I suspected the door seal, however after playing around with Duct Tape realised it was not the seal but the door construction itself.

It appears the door is constructed in several parts, the main ones being an outer frame with the locks and an inner section and here lies the problem, the inner section is glued in and it would appear either with age or movement the glue becomes separated.

Having removed the door and poured water into it my theory was proven when I noted water dripping through a couple of the corners . ..

What I would like is a recommendation of a glue or sealant that is thin enough to penetrate the gap?

Any ideas . ..?

post-71901-0-22803200-1425543006_thumb.jpg

SecretCaravanner - Thanks just what I was looking for and ordering it now on Amazon . .. FAB

• 2 weeks later...

Appears to have done the trick, finished it off with a light fill of 'Ivory Builders Sealant', and tested it under the tap, appears watertight . .

This product deserves 10/10 even if it's just for the quirky name . ...

post-71901-0-39843900-1426598842_thumb.jpg

post-71901-0-41771800-1426598843_thumb.jpg

So, now you have a dry wet locker. Mmmmmm! :D Result!

John.

• 1 year later...

Just discovered my wet locker door is leaking as well on my Bailey GT60, I was going to see if I can disassemble the door and rebuild it. If parts get damaged I'll replace them.

it looks like poor workmanship on the door construction which has lead to this leak. I have cut away the lino under the tray to find the wood is stained black so ill more work to do other than getting the door to seal

Had a similar problem on our 2014 Pegasus (same door, different leak).

Our leak was apparently past the seal in the frame. Dealer had it for a couple of weeks, brought it back - still leaked so sent it back for further work. ...3 months later they'd apparently removed the frame (damaging it in the process as it's not designed to come out), and had been waiting 8 weeks for spare parts from Bailey. ...they said. ......

We gave up at that point and let them keep it for a good deal on a new Coachman.

Next time I'm going to do what you've done, as I'd prefer your plywood solution to the subsequent hassle. I'd sooner have a leaky Bailey than the last 18 months arguing over the leaky Coachman. ....I'll fix it myself - at least that way I know the competence level of the people involved, and I don't give myself BS. ..

New (or used) Bailey next, please, but from a different dealer :-)

Edited by Coriolis

If anyone else having this problem then a thin bead of white Soudall Fix-All around the joint (warmed first indoors on radiator on cold days) and then 'finished' with a finger wetted with soapy water. Difference between this and Sikaflex is the Soudall product has a mould inhibitor where as the Sika product does not and mould will form (as advised by the local sealants supplier who sells both products but pointed me towards SFA when I told him what I wanted to do). Great product and swear by it - have a look on you tube at the clips of it being used.

We had this on our old Valencia mk1, on front nearside locker and loo locker.

The front locker door had fallen apart so had to rebuild it with sealant and lot of swearing! I noticed water getting into waste tank lower plastic, and saw tell tale signs in the rear mount of door panel. The sealant had lost its bond so was letting water through. Again stripped and rebuilt door with adhesive and sealant. Ran some clear sealant around outer joint with panel as bit of overkill sealing.

Malc'

• 5 weeks later...

I had a similar problem with my under-bed locker door leaking, it's a Thetford Service door No. 5, tried a new seal between the door and the frame but it didn't fix it. I then dismantled the door into it's constituent parts and found the thin foam seal between the frame and the flat piece of the door had lost it's sponginess and allowed water to creep in. A poor design I think.

Although I had fixed the leak the plywood under the lino rotted as I hadn't realised it was continually wet all over the winter. I cut out the by then soft and smelly plywood for approx 1 sq meter and replaced it with exterior ply, it won't happen again in a hurry.

Dave.

• 3 years later...
On 17/03/2015 at 13:29, RL100 said:

Appears to have done the trick, finished it off with a light fill of 'Ivory Builders Sealant', and tested it under the tap, appears watertight . .

This product deserves 10/10 even if it's just for the quirky name . ...

post-71901-0-39843900-1426598842_thumb.jpg

post-71901-0-41771800-1426598843_thumb.jpg

Can you outline on the pictures where exactly where you put the sealant. I have the same problem on my Bailey senator indiana. Wet tray full of water after any heavy rain