Sign in to follow this  
Doosan

As The New Season Starts Please Be Careful Driving On Site

Don't be silly. Everyone knows that only other people's kids behave badly.

A few years ago a young girl came down a steep side road on a bike out of control and collided with my 'van when I was travelling through a village at just under 30 mph. She was very lucky to escape with no more than a broken wrist. Once she had been taken to hospital and I had been interviewed and breathalyser and cleared of any blame, only then did I take a closer look at the damage to my 'van - £4000 worth paid by the insurance. That's why we pay it.

I asked the police for contact details for the girl so that I could keep up to date with her condition and they advised me against any contact as the family were "known" to them and they would probably try to make some sort of claim against us. The police were good enough to keep us informed about the girls progress.

The moral of my story? I don't know, make your own mind up.

Not quite sure what point you are making ? The only thing I can establish is that you probably lost your NCB on you insurance through no fault of your own - it shouldn't have been your insurance company and you paying for it, IMHO.

• Like 2

Children are like puppies, they need boundaries, rules, limitations and training. You have heard the old saying that there is no such a thing as a bad dog, its a bad owner. Go figure .

PS the next time you see a parent telling his kid to be off and play down the bottom of the field, this equates to the fact that he wants them to ***** off and annoy someone else.

If you don't train your kids to be careful, respect others properties and more important how to behave when they are on a site, they will get into bother. Please don't tell me that you cant train a kid to not ride his bike on a site. ......Kids are more intuitive than you think, they will do as they please if they are allowed, the secret is not to let them get away with it. ...ergo bad parenting is the problem, not the kid and if the kid causes damage, the parent should pay up, end of.

PS people that disagree with this are probably the ones sitting in their vans watching tv whilst their kids are out reeking havock.

• Like 5

So. ..

Car was going too fast

Car did not stop dead

Driver did not get out and help. I'd like to think everyone on this forum would have been out their car like a rocket!

Where is the proof that the car was going to fast ?

If the car had stopped just before the child came round the corner then she would still have collided with the car as she did not appear to be skilled in the control of a bike. Would you still be as quick to blame it all on the car driver ?

• Like 2

A topic has been started in the basement / social section called nec-never again. It details the experiences of a CT member who was hit by a mobility scooter whilst at the latest caravan show. Would you apply the same guidelines with regards to claiming off the driver of the mobility scooter for damages ?

• Like 1

Not quite sure what point you are making ? The only thing I can establish is that you probably lost your NCB on you insurance through no fault of your own - it shouldn't have been your insurance company and you paying for it, IMHO.

The main point I was trying to make was that life will throw many things at us which are not nice and not fair. All we can do is prepare for and safeguard ourselves against them as best we can.

The incident was far from pleasant for the little girl and quite traumatic for us. Yes I lost my no claims bonus but no one died, the girl hopefully learned a painful lesson and my caravan was repaired.

What could possibly have been gained by us trying to recover repair costs from a family who apparently would not have been able to afford it. As I said in my first post, that's what insurance is for.

Sometimes life sucks but we just need to put it behind us and move on.

• Like 7

A topic has been started in the basement / social section called nec-never again. It details the experiences of a CT member who was hit by a mobility scooter whilst at the latest caravan show. Would you apply the same guidelines with regards to claiming off the driver of the mobility scooter for damages ?

Yes.

• Like 2

Dam right I would

• Like 1

How did we get from the original post to this?

Just like that . . In a Tommy cooper voice

• Like 1

Easy, you mentioned cars, that is bound to get things heated on this forum, it is very close to what happens on piston head.

Easily - it's not a "tick the correct answer" sort of thing, more a "what are your thoughts on this"!!

• Like 2

Well thats what a chat forum is for ;-) With the odd exception, people with widely differing views have come together to express those views, expand upon them, moderate them and debate them in a civilised way.

The only difference between this and discussing it over a few pints is that we didn't get so drunk that we finished the evening putting the rest of the world to right, bemoaning the state of the economy or blaming it all on hitler. ... But there is time yet :-)

• Like 2

Just wondering. That's all.

Mine's a pint please.

Edited by paulthomas

Children are like puppies, they need boundaries, rules, limitations and training. You have heard the old saying that there is no such a thing as a bad dog, its a bad owner. Go figure .

PS the next time you see a parent telling his kid to be off and play down the bottom of the field, this equates to the fact that he wants them to ****** off and annoy someone else.

If you don't train your kids to be careful, respect others properties and more important how to behave when they are on a site, they will get into bother. Please don't tell me that you cant train a kid to not ride his bike on a site. ......Kids are more intuitive than you think, they will do as they please if they are allowed, the secret is not to let them get away with it. ...ergo bad parenting is the problem, not the kid and if the kid causes damage, the parent should pay up, end of.

PS people that disagree with this are probably the ones sitting in their vans watching tv whilst their kids are out reeking havock.

I disagree with your comment and no I did not kick my Wee Smeesh out the van so I could get peace to watch telly this is just your flawed opinion. ..

GA S . ...... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I love mycar, I take very good care of it, if another car drove into it, I would expect them to pay, but if a kid on a bike rode into, accident or not, I would not give a damn about my car. .for heavens sake it's a child, a human being, innocent or not, I'd be out of the car in a shot. I would never expect a childs parents to put up money, for what was an accident. Bit different if they deliberatley did it, but seems people just dont see that.

Are we now the culture where in the event of an accident, first thing we ask is 'hope you got good insurance or are you paying for that'.

My car recently got hit, parked up, old boy caught the bumper. It was a silly mistake to make, wife was fumming, car wasn't that old, me however was more worried about the old chap. Yes I could have got out the car, shouted and swore, but that's someones dad, could be my dad. We all make mistakes, he half expected me to launch at him, but I didn't, just asked if hes was ok, and just reassured him. ......it's a piece of metal. ......as long as no one is hurt that's all that matters.

If my kid had an accident, and someone demanded compensation, I would refuse. If they came over and was more worried about my kid, than their car, they might get a different response. However, getting a court to force a parent to pay for a childs accident. ........really, good luck with that. Trying taking a cyclist to court for accidents on public roads, in my experience is pointless, never won.

It really saddens me when people put a dented bonnet as being more important than a child, imagine how ***** scared that kid is going to be, might not do it again, might never want to go caravanning again, might never want to go outside again, even worse they will never foget the person shouting at them demanding they or their dad pays for it. ........

Kids learn from adults, not just their own, but all adults. ........mmaybe rather than us all judging and telling them what should be done on a site and how it's laid out, we ask them? I am pretty sure every one of them could teach us a thing or two, but, no let's just follow the norm, spend more money on bigger and better toilet blocks (cos that gets us great site reviews), more pitches (cos that makes money) but forget that without kids enjoying sites and being outdoors, this hobby would be dead in a decade and sites close. Seems kids can not do right in some peoples eyes, get moaned at for sitting at home indoors playing games, get moaned at for being noisey in the street, get moaned at for being noisey on caravan sites, wow. .....wwhat a joy being a kid is these days.

Maybe there should be sites for families only, if you dont have kids. .....you are not allowed on site, got dog free and kid free sites, so why not make it a level field, go one better, during school hols, kids only with adults on sites? Maybe ban cars during school hols? Hell, I was away for 4 days, I saw more people speeding on a CC site than kids being silly or being a nuisance! So wha's more dangerous behvaiour?

• Like 7

Good post spannaz :-)

• Like 1

Good post spannaz :-)

:goodpost: . .... I second that. ....Your Post reminds me of these Ambulance's that demand proof of insurance before your scoped into the stretcher . ..

GAS . ... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Sorry spannaz, I disagree with MOST of your post. If I was the driver in the clip, the first thing I would be worried about would be the safety of the child. The next thing I would want to know would be where were the parents of the child and why were they allowing her to ride a bike UNSUPERVISED on roads that they knew were used by motor vehicles.

Has anybody mentioned the effect that this incident possibly had on the driver? No. My late father was involved in a similar incident, (with a grown woman luckily, not a child). She ended up draped over his bonnet and was totally unhurt. She apologised and admitted that it was her fault as she ran out without looking. A policeman happened to be walking past, saw the incident and agreed that it was the womans fault and no action would be taken by the police. It frightened the life out of my father, and for the next 15 years until his death, he absolutely HATED driving, all through no fault of his own.

I think the point made by purplemadboy, (post 3), is that parents are responsible for the actions of their children, whereas you seem to be suggesting that if somebody was involved in an accident with your child, they would stand no chance of getting any money out of you.

What about the incident mentioned by sampvt, (post 105), where a child cycled into him and gashed his leg while he was STANDING outside his caravan. Would your response have been "Oh kids will be kids"?

Your attitude is, rather than judging kids and telling them how to behave on a site, we should ask them? Good luck with THAT. YOUR children are YOUR responsibility. It's up to you to tell them that they are cycling on site roads that are used by motor vehicles and are thus dangerous places. If you see people that are speeding on site, REPORT THEM. If you see 20 people speeding, report them 20 times

• Like 3

Townie, I read the first paragraph and lost the will to live - such a sad attitude.

• Like 5

I love mycar, I take very good care of it, if another car drove into it, I would expect them to pay, but if a kid on a bike rode into, accident or not, I would not give a damn about my car. .for heavens sake it's a child, a human being, innocent or not, I'd be out of the car in a shot. I would never expect a childs parents to put up money, for what was an accident. Bit different if they deliberatley did it, but seems people just dont see that.

Are we now the culture where in the event of an accident, first thing we ask is 'hope you got good insurance or are you paying for that'.

My car recently got hit, parked up, old boy caught the bumper. It was a silly mistake to make, wife was fumming, car wasn't that old, me however was more worried about the old chap. Yes I could have got out the car, shouted and swore, but that's someones dad, could be my dad. We all make mistakes, he half expected me to launch at him, but I didn't, just asked if hes was ok, and just reassured him. ......it's a piece of metal. ......as long as no one is hurt that's all that matters.

If my kid had an accident, and someone demanded compensation, I would refuse. If they came over and was more worried about my kid, than their car, they might get a different response. However, getting a court to force a parent to pay for a childs accident. ........really, good luck with that. Trying taking a cyclist to court for accidents on public roads, in my experience is pointless, never won.

It really saddens me when people put a dented bonnet as being more important than a child, imagine how ******* scared that kid is going to be, might not do it again, might never want to go caravanning again, might never want to go outside again, even worse they will never foget the person shouting at them demanding they or their dad pays for it. ........

Kids learn from adults, not just their own, but all adults. ........mmaybe rather than us all judging and telling them what should be done on a site and how it's laid out, we ask them? I am pretty sure every one of them could teach us a thing or two, but, no let's just follow the norm, spend more money on bigger and better toilet blocks (cos that gets us great site reviews), more pitches (cos that makes money) but forget that without kids enjoying sites and being outdoors, this hobby would be dead in a decade and sites close. Seems kids can not do right in some peoples eyes, get moaned at for sitting at home indoors playing games, get moaned at for being noisey in the street, get moaned at for being noisey on caravan sites, wow. .....wwhat a joy being a kid is these days.

Maybe there should be sites for families only, if you dont have kids. .....you are not allowed on site, got dog free and kid free sites, so why not make it a level field, go one better, during school hols, kids only with adults on sites? Maybe ban cars during school hols? Hell, I was away for 4 days, I saw more people speeding on a CC site than kids being silly or being a nuisance! So wha's more dangerous behvaiour?

Spannaz,

I think you are misreading things. I don't think anyone has said that they would put a dent in their car before the welfare of a child. It's about taking responsibility and doing the right thing. I think that your view of what is right and proper differ from mine.

If it was my child that had clearly caused an accident, once ensuring the welfare of the child has been taken care of, I would be OFFERING to pay for any damage, not waiting to be asked. Your example of your car accident is slightly different as the other driver is most likely to have insurance to cover the cost, so you wouldn't be out of pocket. Why should any driver have to lose their hard earned no claims bonus because someone else damage's their car ? Perhaps you are wealthy enough not to worry about these things - some aren't.

As you say, kids learn from adults - so what sort of example is it to set letting a child damage something and then not have to pay for it ? Or seeing their parents saying "tough luck" to the other party. Sorry, I just don't get that sort of attitude. Kids then grow up to think that they don't have to worry - for example, when they are driving, they hit a parked car or open their door in a car park and damage another car and then drive off.

And as for asking kids opinions about campsite layouts . ........ it's like trying to give the vote to 16 year olds - not the best idea in the world.

It's fairly simple as I see it - Priority 1 is to ensure the welfare of the child is dealt with - Priority 2, the child's parents take responsibility for the child's actions ( as they should as parents anyway) and cover the cost of any damage.

• Like 3

Townie, I read the first paragraph and lost the will to live - such a sad attitude.

So you think that the fact that I would be concerned about the safety of the child and then where the parents were is a "sad attitude"? Hope we never meet on a caravan site.

• Like 2

When I was wee (Jesus that's a long time ago) and I got my first tric and then a bike I wasn't allowed off of the pavement without my mum or dad being there .

When I got to about 8 or 9 I was on my own, yes I did go on the road, yes I did do things I should have done . Luckily I was never in a accident with a car ( tbh there weren't a lot of cars on the road in those days) , but one thing I know for sure is, if I was in an accident with a car and it was my fault, my dad would make sure I was ok, then slap me on the head for being an idiot then pay for the damage.

Not that my dad had cash to throw around, he worked 5 days a week in a steelwork as a clerk, cut hair 3 or 4 nights a week in the house after work (he was a barber by trade) then work in a barbers shop on a Saturday . All of this to keep an old MK3 cortina on the road .

The blame culture is a fancy phrase for doing the right thing, yes ***** happens at times and it's nobody's fault .

• Like 2

Townie do you have kids?

Townie do you have kids?

What's that got to do with the price of cheese ?

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this