Sign in to follow this  
Doosan

As The New Season Starts Please Be Careful Driving On Site

GAS I only said what I said because you could see the wee lassie was ok . Thank god for that . But parents being parents it will always be someone else's fault .

Nae problems PMB just found the Dash Cam comment a wee bit cold under the circumstances. .. Used to get myself Grumpy at kids antics on Site but life is too short auld fruit. . Where do you do your Drinking in Hamilton. .. ? Used to frequent the Butterburn but fell out of with Margo moved to Millers or the Victoria . .. with ma Still Game Buddies. ...

GAS . .... ;)

I'm with PMB on this one. Whether you like it or not, this isn't a motorist driving on a cycle path, it's a motorist driving on a road designed for cars and caravans access. If children use these roads, they must be taught that they will possibly meet motor vehicles, just as they would on public thoroughfares. I'm sure that children of that age wouldn't be allowed out on public roads without parental supervision.

Just my opinion which I'M perfectly entitled to.

Mike.

P. S. That's probably why me and the Mrs use adult only sites wherever possible.

M

At least we agree on Something Mike . . ;)

GAS . ..... :angry:

• Like 1

When I go out it is the butterburn, less than a ten minute walk from the house . (Normally, but with this bloody ankle it took 25mins on Saturday night)

Re dash cam . . In my minds eye what I saw was everyone in shock, make sure the kid is ok, parents get angry with the drive, drive cops the blame .

When I go out it is the butterburn, less than a ten minute walk from the house . (Normally, but with this bloody ankle it took 25mins on Saturday night)

Re dash cam . . In my minds eye what I saw was everyone in shock, make sure the kid is ok, parents get angry with the drive, drive cops the blame .

Been drinking in the Butterburn since 1979 when at home. .. Well run spotless shop but not as Welcoming when Martin Feenie had it plus its fill a Celtic Supporters !! :D . ...

GAS . ... :angry:

• Like 1

Been drinking in the Butterburn since 1979 when at home. .. Well run spotless shop but not as Welcoming when Martin Feenie had it plus its fill a Celtic Supporters !! :D . ...

GAS . ... :angry:

Tbh I haven't seen any rebels when I'm in, I would have something to say to margo and Sam . . Hamilton is blue

I think most roadways on caravan sites are for vehicular and pedestrian access. Pedestrians always take priority over vehicles and invariably cyclists do too. If there were separate footpaths and cycle ways then perhaps the blame could be laid with the pedestrian/cyclist. Surely the abiding rule in these circumstances is 'give way' to any non- vehicular traffic?

I think most roadways on caravan sites are for vehicular and pedestrian access. Pedestrians always take priority over vehicles and invariably cyclists do too. If there were separate footpaths and cycle ways then perhaps the blame could be laid with the pedestrian/cyclist. Surely the abiding rule in these circumstances is 'give way' to any non- vehicular traffic?

Since when ? On a shared roadway, you need to take even more care - the girl on the cycle was on the wrong side of the road so clearly no blame can be attributed to the driver in this case. It's a lot easier to stop a bike or stop walking than it is to stop over a ton of car and you have better visibility on foot or on a bike - no bind spots as there are on many cars.

• Like 1

You wouldn't think so many people never made a mistake or did something stupid when they were young, The girl made a stupid mistake and will remember this for a few years to come. When I was young I also did silly things, didn't think or just did something stupid in excitement, that doesn't make my parents irresponsible, we learn as we grow!!!

• Like 5

Since when ? On a shared roadway, you need to take even more care - the girl on the cycle was on the wrong side of the road so clearly no blame can be attributed to the driver in this case. It's a lot easier to stop a bike or stop walking than it is to stop over a ton of car and you have better visibility on foot or on a bike - no bind spots as there are on many cars.

Because it is against the law to run over a pedestrian. Children are children, they will make mistakes. They are irresponsible. As drivers of motor vehicles we have passed a driving test that satisfies an exam or examiner that we are safe to drive on the road and we know how to look out for hazards, including pedestrians and cyclists and other drivers. I take it you're old enough to have not taken a hazard perception test?

• Like 1

Because it is against the law to run over a pedestrian. Children are children, they will make mistakes. They are irresponsible. As drivers of motor vehicles we have passed a driving test that satisfies an exam or examiner that we are safe to drive on the road and we know how to look out for hazards, including pedestrians and cyclists and other drivers. I take it you're old enough to have not taken a hazard perception test?

I am not sure it is a criminal offence to run over a pedestrian if they walk out in front of you - if you did it on purpose then that's a different matter.

Re children are children - my point exactly, they are not old enough to be responsible and that's where the parents should come in. Yes, I have passed a driving test and I do look out for hazards, be they other motorists, children, animals, cyclists etc etc. No I did not take a "hazard perception test" as part of my driving test - what is your point exactly with this comment ?

Still don't agree with your notion that pedestrians and cyclists have priority over vehicles - I think we all have a duty of care to look out for other "roadusers", be they on foot, in cars or on bikes - but a road is designed for cars to drive on.

Edited by Laney16
  • Like 1

I am not sure it is a criminal offence to run over a pedestrian if they walk out in front of you - if you did it on purpose then that's a different matter.

Re children are children - my point exactly, they are not old enough to be responsible and that's where the parents should come in. Yes, I have passed a driving test and I do look out for hazards, be they other motorists, children, animals, cyclists etc etc. No I did not take a "hazard perception test" as part of my driving test - what is your point exactly with this comment ?

Still don't agree with your notion that pedestrians and cyclists have priority over vehicles - I think we all have a duty of care to look out for other "roadusers", be they on foot, in cars or on bikes - but a road is designed for cars to drive on.

Respectfully. . :)

Regarding running over a pedestrian - there may be circumstance on the highway, as you suggest, that running over a pedestrian is simply unavoidable as happens daily all over the country. But this is with respect to Caravan Parks, which is not the highway, where there is no demarkation or segregation of pedestrians, cyclists, children etc. I'm sure in a court of law,if you ran over an elderly, partially sighted octogenarian crossing over to the toilet block, Dashcam or not - you would probably be prosecuted in a court of law for causing death by dangerous driving.

I'm also sure the same would apply with a young child or any other pedestrian/cyclist in the same environment.

I'm not disagreeing with the OP at all,but accidents will and do happen and its up to us all to prevent them and although I think dashcams are a great idea, I worry if people think that by having them, they will have immunity against being prosecuted or even worse, that someone would use one to claim compensation from a child's parents for repairing the damage to the front of their car after they've just killed or seriously injured them.

I worry if people think that by having them, they will have immunity against being prosecuted or even worse, that someone would use one to claim compensation from a child's parents for repairing the damage to the front of their car after they've just killed or seriously injured them.

Let's say the wee girl was seriously hurt and the car was damaged. The dash cam showed it was her fault, who pays to get the car fixed ?

Let's say the wee girl was seriously hurt and the car was damaged. The dash cam showed it was her fault, who pays to get the car fixed ?

Who cares who pays for the car, if she was seriously hurt?

Who cares who pays for the car, if she was seriously hurt?

How about the owner of the car ? Why should he/she be out of pocket?

• Like 2

Topics like this seem to bring out the worst in people.

She is a young child, she has no common sense, even after being taught not to do things children always try and push the boundaries. I know, I have two! I am fairly sure she was thinking it was great fun riding her bike, not that she should slow down and move to the correct side of the road in case a car is coming.

Having been present as a three year old child died through a momentary lack of attention by their parent I find some of the anti parent, anti child sentiment very sad. You can't physically watch children the whole time they are awake and if you do, it probably won't do them long term good. As adults and car drivers we owe it to those less able to make rational decisions to ensure their safety, that includes short sighted octaginarians with dementia and kids on bikes.

As for who would pay, if they were my child I would happily stump up the cash and be glad they weren't seriously hurt. If I was the driver, I would happily claim on my insurance and be glad they weren't seriously hurt!

Dogs and children, both guaranteed to be like a hand grenade thrown in a flour sack. ........

• Like 4

How about the owner of the car ? Why should he/she be out of pocket?

I'd claim on my insurance. What would you do?

Am I missing something? Where is the driver of the car in this clip? Impact was at 10 seconds, and clip ends at 23 seconds. I would have been the first out of my seat to check on the child in that scenario and it wouldn't have taken me almost 1/4 of a minute to do it.

• Like 2

I'd claim on my insurance. What would you do?

I would claim on her parents insurance

• Like 2

Well at least you answered the question.

I must renew my child's insurance come their birthdays, thanks for reminding me!

• Like 5

I must renew my child's insurance come their birthdays, thanks for reminding me!

Aren't caravanner's lovely people? :blush:

• Like 2

I revisit my earlier answer in the light of John W's post. That's not really an answer given that most kids don't carry pedestrian insurance. See point 4 on the link below:

http://www. accident-claim-expert. co. uk/road-accident-claim/pedestrian-claims. html

Respectfully. . :)

Regarding running over a pedestrian - there may be circumstance on the highway, as you suggest, that running over a pedestrian is simply unavoidable as happens daily all over the country. But this is with respect to Caravan Parks, which is not the highway, where there is no demarkation or segregation of pedestrians, cyclists, children etc. I'm sure in a court of law,if you ran over an elderly, partially sighted octogenarian crossing over to the toilet block, Dashcam or not - you would probably be prosecuted in a court of law for causing death by dangerous driving.

I'm also sure the same would apply with a young child or any other pedestrian/cyclist in the same environment.

I'm not disagreeing with the OP at all,but accidents will and do happen and its up to us all to prevent them and although I think dashcams are a great idea, I worry if people think that by having them, they will have immunity against being prosecuted or even worse, that someone would use one to claim compensation from a child's parents for repairing the damage to the front of their car after they've just killed or seriously injured them.

If I was driving within the regulations of the campsite and a pedestrian of whatever age or cyclist was knocked over by me due to their "mistake", I doubt very much whether I would be prosecuted for dangerous driving. The other users of the road also have to take some responsibility for their actions - looking where they are going and not stepping out in front of an oncoming vehicle being one of them.

As for claiming "compensation" well if it is not offered by the person(s) causing the accident, then yes they should. If it was me or a member of my family that had caused the damage, then I would offer to pay for it - it's just the right thing to do. This seems to be somewhat lacking in today's society. People also seem to ignore the feelings of any driver involved - causing serious injury or death whether or not your fault must be dreadful to live with. I have, fortunately, never hit a pedestrian or cyclist but I did hit a dog once when it ran out in front of me on a main road. I took it to a local vet to make sure that there was nothing that could be done and then took it to the owners house - they had only had it a few weeks and they were devastated - as was I. And yet they still took time to write to me and thank me for my efforts and ask if there was any damage to my car. I still live with the guilt of killing that poor dog now - so imagine how someone how hits a pedestrian or cyclist must feel.

Most people's house insurance policy offers some sort of cover for instances like this. That's what insurance is for. If you damage something belonging to someone else, you should pay for it.

• Like 3

I'm guessing that everyone who has said that parents should keep their children with them at all times are not parents themselves (or their own children have grown up). We have 3 young children and we activly encourange them to go off and explore when we're away if we didn't then it wouldn't be much of a holiday for them or us.

I find it unbelievable that people can be so narrow minded to discuss who's going to pay for the car to be repaired, this is just another example of the blame culture we live in today. If I was the driver I'd be relieved that the little girl was OK rather than worrying about the damage to my car, after all cars are easily fixed.

Maybe us caravaners with kids should put them on leads and tie them up outside outside the van so they can bark at everyone who walks past ;)

• Like 6

3 Behaviour on site

a. Please make sure you, and anyone staying with you, respect the comfort and convenience of other site users. When you're on site please don't behave in a way that discredits The Club. Verbal or physical abuse won't be tolerated. THis will result in you being asked to leave the site and your membership may be suspended.

b. If you have children with you on the site, you are responsible for their supervision.

c. No one wants their outfit damaged, so ball games are not allowed near the pitches. Please ask the Site Staff if there is anywhere suitable to play ball games.

From CC site rules.

• Like 2

I'm guessing that everyone who has said that parents should keep their children with them at all times are not parents themselves (or their own children have grown up). We have 3 young children and we activly encourange them to go off and explore when we're away if we didn't then it wouldn't be much of a holiday for them or us.

I find it unbelievable that people can be so narrow minded to discuss who's going to pay for the car to be repaired, this is just another example of the blame culture we live in today. If I was the driver I'd be relieved that the little girl was OK rather than worrying about the damage to my car, after all cars are easily fixed.

Maybe us caravaners with kids should put them on leads and tie them up outside outside the van so they can bark at everyone who walks past ;)

It's not about the blame culture or being narrow minded - it's about doing what is right and proper and taking personal responsibility.

Who takes responsibility for your young children when they are off "exploring" ?

And cars may be easily fixed but it is not free to do so.

Edited by Laney16
  • Like 2

Sign in to follow this