Sign in to follow this  
Doosan

As The New Season Starts Please Be Careful Driving On Site

Site speed limits are there for a reason. Child v 5mph car is often just tears and a few bruises, child v fast car does not bear thinking about.

• Like 1

The site speed limit and any one way site road system should also be observed by cyclists, regardless of age. The unfortunate child in the video clip did not appear to be supervised by his/her parents.

Site speed limits are there for a reason. Child v 5mph car is often just tears and a few bruises, child v fast car does not bear thinking about.

Neither does a fast cycling child and fast car. :(

• Like 1

As said good job for a dash cam as it is always very easy to blame the driver .

Dave

• Like 3

Thank goodness the driver had a dash cam so that the parents can pay for the damage to the car .

Quite a ME ! ME ! ME ! attitude I must say PMB. ... "so the parents can pay for the damage to the car ", ? I certainly would not have been chasing for compensation and boiled it down to a lesson in life for the wee person on the bike. Parents can not watch their children every minute of the day and it doesn't matter how much tuition on the Do's and Dont's. . Thank Goodness the wee soul was taught to wear a helmet things could have been a lot more serious at 5mph. ...

GAS . ..... :rolleyes:

• Like 8

The site speed limit and any one way site road system should also be observed by cyclists, regardless of age. The unfortunate child in the video clip did not appear to be supervised by his/her parents.

Neither does a fast cycling child and fast car. :(

EH ?? :rolleyes: Absolute Nonsense. .. How do you know the child was unsupervised. .. ?? Kids will be Kids as I have already stated . .. The child wearing a helmet tells me for one the parents are taking precautions. ...

GAS. ... :rolleyes:

• Like 2

GAS did you see the damage to car ? Bonnet, bumper at least . The kid was ok, at least she had a helmet on, as CD said easy to blame the driver . Why should the driver have to claim his insurance for something that wasn't his fault ? Yeah maybe it is a bit me me me but why do those at fault always seem to get a away scot free and the innocent pay for it?

The kid look unsupervised because the adults that showed up didn't look like the parents.

Edited by purplemadboy
  • Like 5

Ban em! They should be kept on a lead.

• Like 3

GAS did you see the damage to car ? Bonnet, bumper at least . The kid was ok, at least she had a helmet on, as CD said easy to blame the driver . Why should the driver have to claim his insurance for something that wasn't his fault ? Yeah maybe it is a bit me me me but why do those at fault always seem to get a away scot free and the innocent pay for it?

The kid look unsupervised because the adults that showed up didn't look like the parents.

Totally disagree PMB . . You would be lucky if the front of the vehicle had a cracked number plate hardly a Big Financial Insurance Claim. Lost more money out of ma pocket running for a bus. How many parents actually on site watch their siblings every minute of the day ? I certainly could not keep an eye on Wee Smeesh every second of the day when he strutted his stuff out on his bike playing Buses. So does that make me a irresponsible parent ? Child in my Book comes first. . Now if it had been a teenager or an adult that's another matter all together. .. They should know better and be more aware of the Dangers when out on their Steeds. ...

GAS . ...... :huh:

• Like 2

Totally disagree PMB . . You would be lucky if the front of the vehicle had a cracked number plate hardly a Big Financial Insurance Claim. Lost more money out of ma pocket running for a bus. How many parents actually on site watch their siblings every minute of the day ? I certainly could not keep an eye on Wee Smeesh every second of the day when he strutted his stuff out on his bike playing Buses. So does that make me a irresponsible parent ? Child in my Book comes first. . Now if it had been a teenager or an adult that's another matter all together. .. They should know better and be more aware of the Dangers when out on their Steeds. ...

GAS . ...... :huh:

Children of that age should be kept an eye on at all times - if you can't do that then get someone else to. That child had obviously not been given any instructions as to how to ride on the campsite - this was the responsibility of the parents. And what about the feelings of the driver - even though it was clearly not his fault, he/she is probably feeling pretty upset by the whole incident.

• Like 9

Very unfortunate. Parents please note that a full-face helmet such as that worn by the child in the clip usually restricts the wearer's peripheral vision and interferes with their hearing. I won't entertain them when doing cycle training.

• Like 1

I use dog friendly and no children sites as I’m a grumpy old git :D

• Like 9

Totally disagree PMB . . You would be lucky if the front of the vehicle had a cracked number plate hardly a Big Financial Insurance Claim. Lost more money out of ma pocket running for a bus. How many parents actually on site watch their siblings every minute of the day ? I certainly could not keep an eye on Wee Smeesh every second of the day when he strutted his stuff out on his bike playing Buses. So does that make me a irresponsible parent ? Child in my Book comes first. . Now if it had been a teenager or an adult that's another matter all together. .. They should know better and be more aware of the Dangers when out on their Steeds. ... GAS . ...... :huh:

From what can make out and I may be wrong, the bonnet looks damaged on the left hand side . Modern cars have carp plastic bumpers that are easily damaged.

Years ago we had a ford probe (1996) , the wife was reversing out if our garage and clipped the door frame & damaged the bumper, took it to fords to get it fixed, £600 it cost as there are lots of different bits to the bumper, all had to be coloured to the rest of the car . Needless to say it was an insurance job . . If you can drop that kinda money your a richer man than me Smersh.

• Like 1

To be honest, if it was me driving the last thing on my mind would be the money.

The sight of that wee girl bouncing over the bonnet would be all that I would be worried about. Thankfully she looked ok, I'm sure she will be more careful next time she rides her bike around a site.

When we are on site we always try to pitch close to the play park so that we can keep an eye on the kids but if they decide to go away on their bikes or scooters we don't know exactly where they are.

I grew up in the 70's & 80's and my parents weren't watching me every minute of the day. I came back when I was hungry as I'm sure was the same situation for most of the people on here over a certain age.

• Like 9

Can I just add, I'm all for kids being out playing & getting up to mischief, it's what kids do. But some parents think once on a campsite kids can do what they like as they are on holiday.

CBBC 100% right with the last paragraph

Edited by purplemadboy
  • Like 1

I'm with Purplemadboy on this. We take the grandkids away and have done ever since they were very small. The second set are now 5 & 7 and they get told the rules regarding running, walking cycling and are supervised as far as we can. They are our responsibility and no one else's.

They are told off and reminded everytime they are seen running across roads without looking or going the wrong way when scootering or cycling or even racing on the roadways. They also know not to cut across other pitches and that footballs etc are only allowed on the playing fields, not around cars or caravans.

It's our responsibility to make sure they are safe and to know where they are but hopefully others using the roads and pathways will recognise that kids are out playing and they have a duty to keep to the speed limits and be aware that kids are unpredictable and should either be given a wide berth or stop until they are out of the way.

It's only by being aware & careful rather than being in a hurry that an incident like this doesn't become something considerably more serious.

• Like 1

CBBC 100% right with the last paragraph

Agree totally. ..............you will find that away from 'sites' that many rallies forbid the riding of cycles altogether or limit use to after the Friday night rush. ..the 5mph rule is also most likely to be enforced.

geoff

• Like 2

As I said in a earlier Post it does not matter how much tuition you give kids especially as young as this wee soul "kids will be kids".... Just astonished the first thing that come's in to certain members heads "thank goodness for the Dash Cam at least the parents can pay for the damage" and how do we know the child was unsupervised ? No one knows its just a guess. . The Guilty until proved Innocent on this Forum is Alive and Kicking. .. Just my opinion which I'm perfectly entitled too. ... :rolleyes:

GAS . ........ :angry:

Edited by Grumpy Auld Smeesh
  • Like 1

I'm with PMB on this one. Whether you like it or not, this isn't a motorist driving on a cycle path, it's a motorist driving on a road designed for cars and caravans access. If children use these roads, they must be taught that they will possibly meet motor vehicles, just as they would on public thoroughfares. I'm sure that children of that age wouldn't be allowed out on public roads without parental supervision.

Just my opinion which I'M perfectly entitled to.

Mike.

P. S. That's probably why me and the Mrs use adult only sites wherever possible.

M

• Like 5

GAS I only said what I said because you could see the wee lassie was ok . Thank god for that . But parents being parents it will always be someone else's fault .

• Like 1

It might just be me but the car was going a lot faster than I can walk, however it is a good reminder that all of us should respect the 5mph speed limit.

• Like 1

"I grew up in the 70's & 80's and my parents weren't watching me every minute of the day. I came back when I was hungry as I'm sure was the same situation for most of the people on here over a certain age."

I grew up in the 60's/70/s and when I was the same age as the girl in the video appears to be, my parents knew exactly where I was and if they weren't available, then another responsible adult did so.

The phrase " kids will be kids" doesn't wash with me I'm afraid - it seems to be an excuse used anytime a child does something to upset someone else or do something wrong. Until they are old enough to be responsible for themselves, it is down to the parents to take responsibility and if that restricts what the parents or children can do, then so be it. It's a choice to have children and with that comes responsibility.

• Like 3

When our kids were as small as the little girl in the video, they weren't allowed to play, on foot or bike, on any road, including campsites, where they could come into contact with vehicles of any kind. We preferred to exercise our responsibilities of parental supervision BEFORE an incident occurred, rather than face the gut-wrenching anguish of one of our kids being seriously hurt, or worse.

We have seen anguish first hand - our 16-year-old niece worked at a stables. One Sunday afternoon, on the way home on her bike, her friend asked for a lift, and she sadly agreed. They came off in front of a service bus. Her friend escaped, but our niece, although showing no outward signs of injury, suffered serious internal head injuries which rendered her brain dead. It ended with her mother having to agree that the machine be switched off.

So, parents, whatever your views about campsite rules and criticisms, don't risk having to face a similar decision, or fate cruelly giving you no decision at all. The clock cannot be turned back!.

• Like 3

Sign in to follow this