Sign in to follow this  
Newhouse

Cracking Panels.

Can you send your name to me at Danieljbryan51@yahoo. com

I will compile a mailing list and liaise direct

I thought I'd seen it all with my 2013 elddis van and after nearly 3 years of hectoring the dealer and trips back and forth for warranty claims, I dared to dream we were just about there and ready to enjoy the van without the worry. And then I discovered a crack in the front panel.

I thought buying a new van would be less hassle than a used one. My wife wanted one that was unused inside. Next time, I'll get a used one and change all the soft furnishings if I have to, it'll still be cheaper and far less hassle than a brand new van.

I for one will _never_ buy anything ever again from the Explorer Group.

Edited by mcbrucer
  • Like 2

Hi, New to forum,so hope this appears ok !

Bought 2015 Compass Rallye 482 in March 2015. Noted crack in top rear nearside back panel October 2015. Dealer agreed with Compass to replace whole back panel. This was done in Jan 2016. Caravan has been out once this year,( kept dry and clean under carport ) getting ready to go out next week,so hubby went to wash it and guess what. ...... crack has appeared in exactly the same place on the new back panel. Onto dealers again, but really feel this panel is not fit for purpose. I don't think that having paid over £20,000 for a new caravan we should put up with having rear panel replaced twice. The interior of the caravan is great,the exact layout we wanted. Anyone offer any advice ?

If picture appears, the tape is only there to get camera to focus,also for some reason picture is appearing upside down ! You can tell I,m no good at this !

post-81126-0-16324000-1467920015_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Disgruntled

In March this year I found cracks to both the bottom rear corners of my Xplore 304. Thanks to this forum, Elddis agreed to replace panel, great you think, but no, I am still waiting for 3 parts four months later!

I have also found hair line cracks on the front panel edges, Elddis have turned down this warranty claim, without giving a reason. When I purchased the van in March 2015 I was told that it had a 10 year body warranty, there was no mention of the one year warranty for front and rear panels!

It looks as if I may have a challenge with Elddis. I can only say BRING IT ON!

Hi, New to forum,so hope this appears ok !

Bought 2015 Compass Rallye 482 in March 2015. Noted crack in top rear nearside back panel October 2015. Dealer agreed with Compass to replace whole back panel. This was done in Jan 2016. Caravan has been out once this year,( kept dry and clean under carport ) getting ready to go out next week,so hubby went to wash it and guess what. ...... crack has appeared in exactly the same place on the new back panel. Onto dealers again, but really feel this panel is not fit for purpose. I don't think that having paid over £20,000 for a new caravan we should put up with having rear panel replaced twice. The interior of the caravan is great,the exact layout we wanted. Anyone offer any advice ?

If picture appears, the tape is only there to get camera to focus,also for some reason picture is appearing upside down ! You can tell I,m no good at this !

See my post #124 above. The interior and layout of our Affinity 530 was perfect for us but in the end we had to move on. We were spending more time worrying about the van and dealing with issues than we were away enjoying it. It had to go. ..

Mark.

• Like 2

2013 avante 576 cracked rear panel AGAIN.

Totally fed up with Elddis.

This is second rear panel that has cracked at the top.

2nd panel has cracked just over 12 months since being replaced. Van is now just under 3. 5yrs old.

Warranty repair has just been refused by Elddis.

After 2 rear panel failures, 1 front panel blistering, 2 floor delamination, sink drain leak problem, oven issues, cupboard front problems I've had enough.

• Like 1

I would read up on SOGA (there are many threads on here) and go back to your dealer. Ignore the fact that Elddis have rejected the claim, it's not your issue. The dealer is still responsible to repair it and the warranty is just a way of the dealer reclaiming their costs from Elddis.

Any judge in a court would agree that a rear panel on a brand new caravan should not fail twice in just over 3 years. You did better than us though, my first one went at 9 months and then the second at just under 3 years. After damp in the roof as well we managed to negotiate a deal with the dealer and Elddis to buy it back.

Write a formal letter to the MD of the dealership asking them to repair the caravan under SOGA and give them 7 days to respond. Good luck. ..

Mark.

Hi Mark

My only issue is that I purchased the van from Campbells caravans at Preston who were next to useless and we so wished we never used them. Also they are up north and we are in the south. (Again another lesson learnt). We were finally able to find a dealer near to us who would take on all warranty work for us. They replaced the first panel.

So do I go back to supplying dealer who I know don't deal with Elddis now or go back to current dealer who doing warranty work.

Regards

Steve

My van is not 3 years old until September but going in for 3rd panel next week. Like the van but looks like I will be changing soon as don't want the hassle of fighting to get repairs done if the panel lasts more than year then cracks again. Should know with in 6 months as that's all they have lasted. Van has spent more time cracked than whole. Spoke to some dealers for prices and they know about this problem and have reduced price to cover themselves.

After 3 rear panels in 2 years and crack found in front at second service we got rid.

I am surprised that no one has raise the issue of the 10 year warranty with the advertising standards board as surely the advertising is misleading ragrding the damp warranty and panels.

Hi Mark
My only issue is that I purchased the van from Campbells caravans at Preston who were next to useless and we so wished we never used them. Also they are up north and we are in the south. (Again another lesson learnt). We were finally able to find a dealer near to us who would take on all warranty work for us. They replaced the first panel.
So do I go back to supplying dealer who I know don't deal with Elddis now or go back to current dealer who doing warranty work.
Regards
Steve

It will be worth your while to take the caravan back to the supplying dealer because if it goes as far as a court case, then you can demonstrate that you tried to negotiate with the supplying dealer for a repair under warranty as the item was nto fit for purpose as proved by the second panel failing.

• Like 1

I am surprised that no one has raise the issue of the 10 year warranty with the advertising standards board as surely the advertising is misleading ragrding the damp warranty and panels.

The wording of the warranty is quite clear unfortunately so I am not sure the advertising standards agency would have any issues with it. The wording states that front and rear panels are covered for 12 months and the ingress warranty only covers permanently sealed joints. Very bad I know considering the cost of a new caravan. ..

Hi Mark

Regards

Steve

Yes it has to be the selling dealer, irrespective of whether they still deal with Elddis or not. Your new dealer is not legally obliged to repair the fault under SOGA as they did not sell the van to you.

Mark.

Edited by Markt1891

The wording of the warranty is quite clear unfortunately so I am not sure the advertising standards agency would have any issues with it. The wording states that front and rear panels are covered for 12 months and the ingress warranty only covers permanently sealed joints. Very bad I know considering the cost of a new caravan. ..

Mark.

The brochure clearly states 10 year warranty against damp and this is false advertising. You only find out about the limitations of the warranty once you have access to the owner's handbook so yes it could be construed as false or misleading advertising.

Buccaneer-Brochure-2016. pdf

The brochure clearly states 10 year warranty against damp and this is false advertising. You only find out about the limitations of the warranty once you have access to the owner's handbook so yes it could be construed as false or misleading advertising.

The warranty terms are detailed on their website for all prospective and existing customers to read. I guess it's the same as many things, the details are always in the small print.

http://www. elddis. co. uk/help-support/help-advice/warranty

Mark.

Yes it has to be the selling dealer, irrespective of whether they still deal with Elddis or not. Your new dealer is not legally obliged to repair the fault under SOGA as they did not sell the van to you.

Mark.

I have wondered how they stand using the advertising and using the term DRY in their main advertising in the wording for Solid construction .

To advertise that something is to remain dry which with leaks and cracks is false advertising ?

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Hi

We've had a 2014 Avante 636, for 2 years and now have a new Crusader Storm, neither have had cracked panel, so fingers crossed. ...the rear lamp cracked, but I surposed that had something to do with branch I hit. ......

Hi

We've had a 2014 Avante 636, for 2 years and now have a new Crusader Storm, neither have had cracked panel, so fingers crossed. ...the rear lamp cracked, but I surposed that had something to do with branch I hit. ......

Now you've done it :unsure:

Although I'm pleased everything was ok before you tempted providence :o

• Like 1

I have an Elddis 574 with cracked rear panel top and bottom dealer and Elddis rejected claim and took no notice of sale of goods act so now gone for section 75 with my credit card company all I wanted was a new rear panel and the mod so it will sort the problem but I will post the outcome.

I have an Elddis 574 with cracked rear panel top and bottom dealer and Elddis rejected claim and took no notice of sale of goods act so now gone for section 75 with my credit card company all I wanted was a new rear panel and the mod so it will sort the problem but I will post the outcome.

Why did they reject the claim. .. is the van over 12 months old? (Panels are only covered for 1st year).

To be honest you are better off going sec 75 or SoGA. I purchased an Affinity in May 2013. Rear panel cracked in Feb 2014 and was replaced under warranty. The frame underneath was modified in accordance with Elddis' guidance before the replacement panel was fitted. The 2nd panel cracked in March 2016. .. van went back to Elddis (permanently).

Good luck and hope things work out, even if they replace the panel you could end up in the same situation in 12 months time.

Mark.

Your issue is with the dealer and not with Elddis so you should be claiming off the dealer. The Sale of Goods Act does not apply as the caravan was bought after Oct 2015 and it si covered under Consumer Rights Act 2015.

It is not your concern that Elddis rejected the claim as the warranty does not apply to the consumer in the this case as the warranty is between the dealer and the manufacturer. The dealer should be paying for the work incl labour.

IMHO it should be relatively easy to prove inherent fault as there are numerous posts concerning cracked panels on Elddis and other brands as the panels are supplied from a single manufacturer to the caravan manufacturers. BTW we have had two cracked panels on our Buccaneer which is assembled by Elddis.

• Like 2

Having had 2 Elddis 'vans that leaked, & not believing ABS or very thin glass fibre panels were up to the job, I bought a Bailey in 2011. These have alloy panels all round. Looks like I was right on that point.

Job sorted? If only. I then had cracks appear above the door at 3 yo. (along with several others I personally know of). Cost nearly £3K to replace side.

You just can't win! People still tell me that I'm wrong when I say that older 'vans were better built than the new ones are, really?

Hi I have been offered by Elddis caps to cure the issue on both sides of my rear panel at the top - near to the seal between the rear panel and the main body (may even run into the seal on one side).  This happened after replacment of first panel - any experience or advice on these caps?

Swift started to cap the tear corners of vans that had cracked, but it did depend on how bad it was some were still replaced. If you have a crack which goes right to the edge of the panel id be insisting on a replacement panel no cap will cure that crack imo

they need to drill a hole at the ends of the crack to stop it from creeping. With the problems elddis have had with the rear panels id have thought some remedial wook needs to happen under the panel with th wooden frame.  

I wouldnt be pleased if they offered me caps its just masking the issue and saving them £000s

Kev

Hi All

I am looking for independent expert advise on these cracked panels - does anybody know a person or establishment that would be willing to look at this?

One of the problems when you are in dispute with a manufacturer/dealership on this issue is getting them to outline what they will/have done and why it happened in the first place - in writing.   The dealer is compromised with their contract to the manufacturer and they deal direct with them and the manufacturer likes to keep things vague and keep a strict control of the information.   My service engineer will not tell me exactly how my replacement was done so that I can compare it to how it is done now - let alone why it has happened again.   Hence the need for an independent expert  and any help with this could benefit all other people with this problem.

Chas

6 minutes ago, ChasNick said:

Hi All

I am looking for independent expert advise on these cracked panels - does anybody know a person or establishment that would be willing to look at this?

One of the problems when you are in dispute with a manufacturer/dealership on this issue is getting them to outline what they will/have done and why it happened in the first place - in writing.   The dealer is compromised with their contract to the manufacturer and they deal direct with them and the manufacturer likes to keep things vague and keep a strict control of the information.   My service engineer will not tell me exactly how my replacement was done so that I can compare it to how it is done now - let alone why it has happened again.   Hence the need for an independent expert  and any help with this could benefit all other people with this problem.

Chas

Any AWS technician should be able to give you a report.