Caravan Cover Causing Mould

Using a caravan cover for the first time this year and have noticed that there is a little bit of black mould in the van, the van is in storage and so when I took it in for service last week and took the cover off I had to thoroughly clean both inside and out before replacing the cover. Should I be ventilating the van by opening windows or Hekis a little or is this a known problem with covers. The cover is reasonable quality 4 ply type advertised as being breathable ?

Absolutely you should. Condensation inside the van is inevitable as the temperature varies between day and night. Best thing to do is to leave the windows on the security latch so they're open half inch or so and I always leave the smaller roof vent on the first notch. Have done this for several years never had a problem. Large tray of salt left on the table helps too

Absolutely you should. Condensation inside the van is inevitable as the temperature varies between day and night. Best thing to do is to leave the windows on the security latch so they're open half inch or so and I always leave the smaller roof vent on the first notch. Have done this for several years never had a problem. Large tray of salt left on the table helps too

Ok thanks perksm makes sense really when you think about it

we have used one for three years no issues as above good ventilation is key.

Volvo XC90 D5 AWD, Lunar Ultima 615,Towing at 62%

You have a second chance at life it's called tomorrow!

I heard of a pop top, brand new, they kept the top down

and after a two week holiday came home and stored

the caravan. Under the bed s was all black which matched

the walls and ceiling.

An ideal situation would be warm and well ventilated but

a through flow of air (the well ventilated bit) is really necessary.

My van gets sunshine one end while the other is in shadow so

I juggle openings accordingly (just remember security)

Jackyboy. It's really important with the mould that you get rid of it. Lots of ventilation and go get yourself some Sophis Digestant, as it kills all of the spores of the mould. Once done, do as perksm suggested

You can get Sophis here:

http://www. caravanaccessories4u. co. uk/products/awnings/awning-accessories/sophis-digestant-500ml

Edited by milkymarsh

Thanks everyone for your replies

Using a caravan cover for the first time this year and have noticed that there is a little bit of black mould in the van, the van is in storage and so when I took it in for service last week and took the cover off I had to thoroughly clean both inside and out before replacing the cover. Should I be ventilating the van by opening windows or Hekis a little or is this a known problem with covers. The cover is reasonable quality 4 ply type advertised as being breathable ?

The main causes of damp and mould are from; ambient air humidity, human activity and still air.

Consider a new caravan, hopefully when it leaves the production line it is leak free and as dry as it is likely to be unless being used in a desert scenario.

Our green and pleasant land is just so, because it has a temperate climate and the ambient air will always contain a fair amount of moisture.

No matter how a user ventilates a caravan the soft furnishings will absorb moisture from its user’s and the humidity in the air itself.

Now after use if the caravan is left closed up, with nothing to circulate the almost static air the moisture in the air will deposit itself on the coldest items and will be absorbed by the driest items, (Soft furnishings and any hydroscopic coverings).

Sealing a caravan will promote mould growth. Mould spores which are a fact of life will settle on any moist surface and start to grow. The way to prevent damp and mould is to ensure internal temperature variations and promote air circulation.

In the winter the way I achieve this is by ensuring my floor ventilators are clear with nothing obstructing them and by leaving my roof lights, (Heki’s etc. ,) open on their first setting, (ajar). I then cover the caravan with its fitted Protec cover.

The cover is made of a breathable material and is dark green in colour. This causes the air inside of the caravan to be heated by the weak winter sun to a temperature that is always higher than the outside air. As we all know warm air rises. The warmed air exits the roof lights and passing through its breathable cover. Fresh air is drawn in through the floor vents.

The important point being the air is in a continual state of circulation. I also leave all the fitted draws and internal doors open, with all seating and bedding squabs positioned on their sides, giving maximum air exposure to all surfaces.

The down side of this free ventilation strategy is during a typical damp British winter the air being drawn into the caravan can be very moist. This is when the use of some form of dehumidifier is essential for both circulation and reducing the moisture content of the ambient air.

At the very least dehumidifying packs should be left in the caravan. Personally I use a small fan assisted compressor type dehumidifier, which I turn on for one 24 hour period each month. It helps to both circulate and dry the air.

My caravan is now seven years old and has never suffered any form of damp or mould.

I am not alone in using this strategy it is developed from the experience of many, maintaining and keeping the internals of boats fresh. Marine environments are about as damp as it gets. Over 30 plus years of keeping boats I have never suffered any damp or mould contamination. ;)

Twin Axle Fleetwood Heritage 640 EST - pulled by a dual fuel, (Petrol/LPG) BMW 528i Auto