Abbey Wood

anorak

Hi guys & gals,

Thinking of using Abbey Wood for a trip to London in June but have heard there may be rail disruption at London Bridge. Don't know London that well so will this be an issue or should I consider Crystal Palace. I will be coming from Yorkshire if that's relevant.

Cheers anorak

Swift Sprite Alpine 4 + Ford Kuga Titanium 2. 0 TDCI 180

London Bridge Station is undergoing a major rebuild HOWEVER the Southeastern Trains from Abbey Wood to Cannon Street will still be stopping at London Bridge whilst the Charing Cross service will bypass London Bridge.

It will make very little difference to visitors but could upset some commuters.

Abbey Wood CC Site is a lovely well laid out site and whilst just a few minutes walk to the station it is also very quiet being in a an ancient forest and the site was (before the CC took it over) part of the Royal Arsenal Cooperative Society's sports and recreation grounds.

You can also take a bus into London or just to Woolwich or Greenwich both of which have many worthwhile attractions - if you need more information let me know - I live near the CC site and used to store our van there.

• Like 1

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

Ted,

Thanks a lot for the info, very helpful!! I shall be stopping for at least 4 days so any advice on the rail tickets I should be looking at would be helpful. Buses are good as we are both on the bus pass!

Cheers Anorak

Swift Sprite Alpine 4 + Ford Kuga Titanium 2. 0 TDCI 180

Anorak

The site wardens will be able to advise the best type of ticket to buy - we are a bit out of touch as we are OAPs and have the London Freedom Pass which gives free travel on all of London's public transport except taxis and the Thames Clipper where we travel for half price :D

When we have visitors we get Oyster Cards which give reduced fares on all transport systems - again except taxis. You can get a refund for unused amounts on an Oyster card.

We prefer Crystal Palace. There was a thread on this a little while ago so worth a search. We come from the West Midlands and find CP much easier to get to.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2, 1986 Honda XBR500

The route to Abbey Wood is dead simple :- over the Dartford Crossing (don't forget to go online to pay - no toll booths now) exit on the A2 towards London then look out for and follow the ''brown'' signs.

London Bridge Station is undergoing a major rebuild HOWEVER the Southeastern Trains from Abbey Wood to Cannon Street will still be stopping at London Bridge whilst the Charing Cross service will bypass London Bridge.

It will make very little difference to visitors but could upset some commuters.

Abbey Wood CC Site is a lovely well laid out site and whilst just a few minutes walk to the station it is also very quiet being in a an ancient forest and the site was (before the CC took it over) part of the Royal Arsenal Cooperative Society's sports and recreation grounds.

You can also take a bus into London or just to Woolwich or Greenwich both of which have many worthwhile attractions - if you need more information let me know - I live near the CC site and used to store our van there.

Will be attending a function at the Old Royal Naval College Greenwich in March.

Have booked three nights Tuesday to Friday at Abbey wood for this, would appreciate any advice re transport to and from Greenwich as some alcholic imbibing will take place and dont' want to use the car.

The East gate appears to be our easiest and closest for the painted hall, would the bus or train be easier or taxi as the function starts at 1700, finishes 2130. We will be leaving the dog for a few hours in the van so will not be staying out late.

Any advice Ted will be greatly appreciated.

Dave formerly DaveBelcanto

Def. the train = about 5 minutes walk at both ends and they run until after midnight.

BTW The Painted Hall is about to get a make over so ceiling could well be covered in sections.

Def. the train = about 5 minutes walk at both ends and they run until after midnight.

BTW The Painted Hall is about to get a make over so ceiling could well be covered in sections.

Thanks for that Ted.

I am given to understand the Dinner is to be in the Queen Mary Undercroft building.

Train it is then. Many thanks.

Dave formerly DaveBelcanto

Thanks for that Ted.

I am given to understand the Dinner is to be in the Queen Mary Undercroft building.

Train it is then. Many thanks.

That makes sense ;)