Sign in to follow this  
Riggerclark

New And Need Advice On What My Car Can Pull

Hi

I'm new and need advice to the max MTPLM for my 1. 6 HDI 2013 exclusive C4 Picasso. It's very unclear in the handbook what I can safely and legally pull.

I have see a few caravans around 1400kgs is that too heavy? Also my VIN plate says different to my handbook?

Weights on vin plate

3340kg

1940kg

1-1100kg

2-940kg

Also if 1400kgs is too heavy what is the safe and legal limit I can pull? My car will have 2 adults, 2 kids and dog plus bags.

Please can you help?

Andrew

Attached Thumbnails

image. jpg

Edited by Riggerclark

1550 kg

I think that this is correct. No doubt there will be others along soon!

John. :)

Edited by leedslad
  • Like 1

I assume it's like my c6, which means that the difference between the first and second is the amount you can pull, 1400kg.

Ignore the handbook, like all Citroens it's written by a different department and the towing weight is something that's plucked out of the air. :)

However, I have no idea if anyone has actually tried this on the road- at your weight, I'd look for around 140hp, at least.

The "85% limit" is 1190kg, by the way- at the "teaching your grandmother" stage, I'd recommend a towing course with the Caravan Club, if you've not towed before. Armed with the towing course, you can pull up to the maximum.

• Like 1

Hello and :welcome: to the forum.

I've just checked my handbook and for the 5 seater c4 picasso 110 HDI, and that reads 1300 Kgs,

however if it's grand 110 HDI picasso,thats only 1180 Kgs.

Best I can do . ...but I hope it's some help.

Edited by lute
  • Like 1

Doesn't your V5 show the maximum towing limit?

Thanks everyone for the input. :)

Today i've seen a Elddis 464 with MTPLM 1350kg 2009, checked on tow safe and its come up with good combination however says check the VIN Plate.

Citroen have also come back and said the Max MTPLM is 1450kg

What do the amounts mean on VIN plate?

3340, 1940, 1100 & 940kg?

If i buy this and it is under the 1400kg will it be ok dont want to be stopped and been done by the police, also very good point Drummond i will get this towing course from the caravan club.

Thanks

The weights on the VIN plate are

Gross train weight

Max gross weight

Front axle weight

Rear axle weight.

Difference between gross train and max gross is 1400kg so thats your max tow weight.

Be aware, though, this is for any trailer, not specifically a caravan.

For a caravan, the caravan organisations recommend that the max caravan weight should be no more than 85% of the car kerb weight for an inexperienced tower.

Brian

• Like 1

Doesn't your V5 show the maximum towing limit?

Ah, yes, it does. On my c6, a maximum braked mass of 1700kg.

Citroen say that one should go by the plate on the car, which shows the gtw at 3720kg, and the mgw at 2330kg, i. e. a towing limit of 1390kg.

Oh, and I've got the original brochure (!) which says 1400kg.

I've got a Lunar Clubman, which has a MPTLM of 1460kg. I put a little in the caravan and quite a lot in the car, to keep the actual weight below the 1390kg- without going over the gtw. If I get stopped by the police, I shall point to the V5 and ask for their opinion. .....

Edited by drummond

The MIS is also incorrect on my V5c, it appears that the information isn't reliable.