Sign in to follow this  
steve14

Jeremy Vine Show On Caravans

OK who heard all the ignorant idiots commenting on us caravanners on the Jeremy Vine show, whats you thoughts on the stupid things they were saying such as its us who cause all the traffic jams and accidents, and wagon drivers were agreeing talk about kettle calling the frying pan black.

I'd advise never listening to the Jeremy Vine show, the level of ignorance and stupidity displayed across every topic is just depressing.

• Like 7

That show that is a bastion of evidence based fact. ............

• Like 1

I must say in all my driving over the years (35000 miles a year for the last 15 years) I have never seen a caravan accident, seen numerous truck accidents and one motorhome accident, and as for the caravans causing problems, what a load of rubbish.

I randomly caught this while on testdrive after servicing a customers car earlier, had to go and extra couple of miles to hear it. .. Bunch of idiots, white boxes blighting the landscape, hitting cyclists with our ridiculous mirrors, slowing one fella down so much that it added 2 hours to his journey etc etc.

They can all go whistle in my opinion.

• Like 1

I must say in all my driving over the years (35000 miles a year for the last 15 years) I have never seen a caravan accident, seen numerous truck accidents and one motorhome accident, and as for the caravans causing problems, what a load of rubbish.

I whole heartedly agree, I too have travelled in excess of 30,000 mile per year for probably the last 18 years and in that time have only seen 3 caravan accidents however I seen dozens of accidents involving HGV's which is what made my blood boil

Think blaming truck drivers for the accidents is a bit unfair,I must admit a lot of trucks are involved in accidents. But if you actually see how other road users cut in on trucks you would see the main reason why there's so many accidents involving trucks. Many of these guys have spent large sums of money to become qualified LGV drivers and highly professional drivers.

Yep, i had the miss fortune of listening to it and it made my blood boil it seemed apart from Martin Roberts defending our corner that any other caravanner was given little air time to put our side across and Jeremy vine in my opinion is not a fan of our great british pastime either. I think the respondants who dis-agree with are very out of touch with the modern tow car and are stuck in the memories of a 1970's over heating tug loaded to the hilt and pratt on the bike ( 3 times )!! got caught on the towing mirrors, well if he wants to join us he just has to say and not cling on the mirrors for an invite for a brew and chat! A very miss leading programme again on radio 2 by Mr Condesending.

• Like 1

Think blaming truck drivers for the accidents is a bit unfair,I must admit a lot of trucks are involved in accidents. But if you actually see how other road users cut in on trucks you would see the main reason why there's so many accidents involving trucks. Many of these guys have spent large sums of money to become qualified LGV drivers and highly professional drivers.

Unlike those truck drivers on the radio who blamed caravanners, I'm not blaming truck drivers for accidents, I just think it's rich that some truck drivers were blaming us for accidents, just because you drive a 40 ton articulated truck doesn't make you a good driver and able to cast judgement on everyone else. In the last 20 years or so I've driven in approx of 750,000 miles which is more than most and I'm still amazed at what people do on the road and I personally have had trucks (and cars) cut me up on more than one occasion whilst towing my caravan, luckly (so far) I've had the fore sight to see what they,ve been up to.

• Like 2

The Jeremy Vine programme goes out of the way to find people with outlandish view points on nearly all the subjects they discuss. I remember Jimmy Young and he was much better at controlling the programme. Have given up long ago listening to it. I switch it off as I do with all phone in programmes!!

• Like 8

Who the hell is Jeremy Vine?

Edit - ah, Radio 2 :rolleyes: . Thought he might be on Kiss or Absolute

Edited by Pebble

Well of the 2 Vine brothers I prefer Tim. Saw him at the Edinburgh Fringe last year. Very funny. Jeremy, who is also funny in a different way and who spent some time not so long ago stirring up a hatred for 4x4s is now doing the same for the tin snail. Carry on Jeremy, listening to silly people with silly views is entertaining.

Well, I didnt hear it, but agree with others. I drive all over the country and even yesterday going kent to birmingham, 3 accidents all involving lorries. .....no caravans. Lorries do 56mph, sit 3 abreast on a 4 lane motorway, because 1 can do . 5mph more than the other, I see lorries in outside lane, yet I have never seen a caravan being driven in a way that even comes close to the way lorry driver's behave, think we should all ping an email of complaint to the BBC, heck 25 people complain about an advert and all hell breaks loose.

Strange I only do 7K a year, yet I've seen at least six caravan accidents, less lorry accidents, and I hardly use the motorway.

Unlike those truck drivers on the radio who blamed caravanners, I'm not blaming truck drivers for accidents, I just think it's rich that some truck drivers were blaming us for accidents, just because you drive a 40 ton articulated truck doesn't make you a good driver and able to cast judgement on everyone else. In the last 20 years or so I've driven in approx of 750,000 miles which is more than most and I'm still amazed at what people do on the road and I personally have had trucks (and cars) cut me up on more than one occasion whilst towing my caravan, luckly (so far) I've had the fore sight to see what they,ve been up to.

Well In my limited motorway driving its very rare to see a lorry being driven badly, but common to see caravans speeding. They do seem to tail gate other lorries but i rarely have a problem with lorries.

I think trying to turn the augment to lorry drivers being the culprit is risible.

Jeremy Vine, seriously?

The man is a self serving egotist who picks topics for 'debate' based solely upon how many ill informed callers will come on to boost his ratings.

I have radio 2 on until 12 but as soon as I hear him come on its straight over to Smooth for a couple of hours.

I never used to do that, I used to have radio 2 on all the time until one day I found myself literally talking back to the idiots that ring in. I was on my own in the car !!!!!! Time to switch channels me thinks :-)

• Like 8

Who the hell is Jeremy Vine?

Edit - ah, Radio 2 :rolleyes: . Thought he might be on Kiss or Absolute

No he's the second rate presenter with the annoying voice. :D

Edited by xtrailman
  • Like 1

iDriver

:goodpost:

DeeTee

Edited by DeeTee

Jeremy Vine, seriously?

The man is a self serving egotist who picks topics for 'debate' based solely upon how many ill informed callers will come on to boost his ratings.

I have radio 2 on until 12 but as soon as I hear him come on its straight over to Smooth for a couple of hours.

I never used to do that, I used to have radio 2 on all the time until one day I found myself literally talking back to the idiots that ring in. I was on my own in the car !!!!!! Time to switch channels me thinks :-)

Radio 2 was ok when Jimmy young, and Gloria? were on air, and Terry wogan.

• Like 1

It's called "entertainment" and as Jeremy Vine is the Daily Mail of BBC 2 you always get what you might expect! It's NOT about "saying things as they really are". Similarly Top Gear takes controversial stands that seems to upset so many on this forum.

The problem, of course, is that so many see the views expressed as inflammatory. They are extreme views chosen to create controversy which is the lifeblood of the broadcast.

My advice is simple. Either simply don't listen or watch but if you do have a smile on your face!

My second piece of advice is don't castigate categories of road users. Of course there are poor HGV drivers but so too caravan drivers and private motorists.

I suppose a forum does allow those with prejudices to publicise them and that's EXACTLY what the Jeremy Vine show sets out to do!

• Like 3

I think we are all showing our age here! :o

Pretty obviousley a poor news day. .. And we respond like a disturbed wasp nest. As referred to in a previous thread I got held up by an Austin seven on a dangerous twisty road with no safe passing place . .. so when the road wad clear I quickly got round the classic Carr, all hell broke loose with the rest of the world trying all sorts of dangerous stunts to pass me resulting in an oncoming car being forced into the gutter . .. and I'm the one getting dirty looks even though I'm ahem breaking the speed limit to relieve a situation. Anyway next week on the Vine show it'll be centre lane hoggers . .. Women rubbish reversers . ..stealth cameras on m25 etc . . Benefits scroungers . .. get my drift.

Well, I didnt hear it, but agree with others. I drive all over the country and even yesterday going kent to birmingham, 3 accidents all involving lorries. .....no caravans. Lorries do 56mph, sit 3 abreast on a 4 lane motorway, because 1 can do . 5mph more than the other, I see lorries in outside lane, yet I have never seen a caravan being driven in a way that even comes close to the way lorry driver's behave, think we should all ping an email of complaint to the BBC, heck 25 people complain about an advert and all hell breaks loose.

try the M6 on a holiday weekend and see the caravanners who tow in the outside lane or the prats that tow at 70mph in huge 4x4s towing big heavy twin axles ????? Yeah right don't tell me that all the caravan fraternity are squeaky clean when it comes to driving safely and legally because there not

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn
  • Like 1

I just thought that it was funny that a cyclist complained that caravans weren't subject to road tax. But that's another can of worms.

A report issued by the police and caravan club a few years ago .

Statistics show that incidents involving vehicles towing caravans or trailers accounted for 43 fatalities and 1400 injuries in 2006. In 2008 9,394 towing related incidents were attended across the country. Recently published figures from the Highways Agency show that in the CMPG patrol area there was over 1100 towing related incidents with 20 caravans overturned during the year ending March 2009. Not only does this result in a loss of the caravan there is also the possibility of serious injury or loss of life. To clear an overturned caravan from the motorway takes on average eighty-six minutes. Given the large volume of traffic through these motorways this can create long tailbacks and delays. These delays will often have a knock on effect to the surrounding road systems causing further delays and loss of time.

http://www. caravanclub. co. uk/community/your-stories/Dave/Operation-Velopy---Stop-and-Check/rb/29151/

Dave

Sign in to follow this