Sign in to follow this  
Griff

New Camera

After years of carting SLR camera gear around and finding that I was using it less and less due to the bulk, decided to move it all on and revert back in time to a range finder model.

When I say range finder, not wanting to spend Leica money, I settled for a Fuji X100S.

post-1814-0-56184700-1420364360_thumb.jpg

Anyone else gone down this route and using similar.

Not sure if I will be disappointed.

For the same reasons, but with an eye on enjoying taking photos rather than using cameras, I went even more radical and now use two cameras!

Fuji XP to carry when I only might be taking pictures, small, light, rugged and if it does get nicked or broken does not really matter.

Fuji S9400 for when I expect to be taking pictures.

I now take 10X as many pictures, spend 1/10 the energy carrying and take at least one camera to far more places without worrying about the kit. After all, it's more about taking pictures than using cameras isn't it?

Don't get taking selfies Griff!!.........It's not that strong! :lol::lol::D

For the same reasons, but with an eye on enjoying taking photos rather than using cameras, I went even more radical and now use two cameras!

Fuji XP to carry when I only might be taking pictures, small, light, rugged and if it does get nicked or broken does not really matter.

Fuji S9400 for when I expect to be taking pictures.

I now take 10X as many pictures, spend 1/10 the energy carrying and take at least one camera to far more places without worrying about the kit. After all, it's more about taking pictures than using cameras isn't it?

I had the X100 for some time. ..great camera, lovely IQ but a little slow to start up and shutter lag a bit slow. But my main reason for changing was that despite trying to work with a fixed lens, I found myself carrying a DSLR for those occasions when I needed other focal lengths. So it didn't help with weight of bulkiness of camera gear.

I now have the Fuji XT1 for colour and a converted EX1 for infra red. Even with 3lenses this kit is a fraction of the Nikon gears weight and is my staple holiday kit. The image quality is as good as my Nikon D3S without the weight and 'steal me' appearance. The only problem with these type of cameras is the response time. They are not good enough for sport or wildlife photography or even some grab shots. ..but you can't have everything!

Not sure if the 'S' version had many improvements over the base model I had. But there were a number of dials and knobs that were easy to misalign getting in and out of the bag/pocket. I had to remember to check before shooting.

Edited by ericfield

. ....Not sure if the 'S' version had many improvements over the base model I had. .....

Some 69 differences apparently although I expect some to be trivial for most including me.

There is now an X100T which supersedes the S.

For the last four years I have used a Canon DSLR, more recently coupled with a 15-85 mm zoom lens. As lovely as the pictures are that it takes I am also finding it heavy to lug around. Sometimes, if out on the bikes or on the bus I would use Margaret's small Lumix camera. At Christmas I decided to bite the bullet and have treated myself to a Canon G16 which will fit in my pocket. Not really had a chance to put it to the test yet.

David

• Like 1

We've been using a Canon Powershot SD500 for a few years now, It takes great snaps. My poor old Cannon DSLR hasn't seen the light of day for years sadly. But I too would like something with a bit more flexibility so thank you for the recommendations above. I will start looking into them too. Things have changed a bit since I last looked at new cameras !

My Sony DSLR has been in a draw for the last 2 years since I bought this. Samsung Camera

http://www. amazon. co. uk/Samsung-GC100-Galaxy-Camera-discontinued/dp/B009K27FMK/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1420381038&sr=1-6&keywords=samsung+camera

A bit too easy to turn on, sometimes slow to react, I have found that when it uploads to Dropbox it does not sync properly. That means absolutely everything gets uploaded but does not get deleted from dropbox when I delete on camera. Soon end up with 90% of pictures uploaded are rubbish.

Can be used as a Wi-Fi hot spot, not sure if that is the same as Mifi, but not done this so do not know how it might compare to others. eg Huawei R207, videos are good, screen very good but still no good in bright sun. Can also be used to view internet.

Reasonable compromise though. New model now available, don't know what has changed.

John

My Canon S110 is small enough to slip into a pocket, so unlike my old 450D it's likely to be with me when a photo-opportunity appears. Takes good pics too.

The whole concept of social photography as we know it, may be gone in a generation or so.

Many of today's young photographers aren't concerned with the notion of prints on a wall, lens quality, noise levels etc. They are more concerned with immediacy. ...click > onto social network sites. Never mind the quality, it's the instant avaialbility that's more important. ...'look what I did/saw just now!' You only need to see this on Sky news. ...amateur footage taken irrespective of quality because everyone wants to know what's happen straight away.

The performance of many of these smaller, mirror less, cameras is already consigning DSLRs to the cupboard. They soon will be just the preserve of the professional or diehard amateur.

The one problem with compacts is that their low light level performance can be poor compared to a DSLR with either a full frame or APS-C sensor.

This caused me to swap from a "bridge type" to a DSLR and I'm unlikely to go back.

This article explains the differences

http://www. gizmag. com/camera-sensor-size-guide/26684/

• Like 1

The whole concept of social photography as we know it, may be gone in a generation or so.

Many of today's young photographers aren't concerned with the notion of prints on a wall. .....

I know what you mean.

Been into photography for most of my life and changed to digital some 20 years ago.

Anyway, like most I have that large box in the loft with all those prints from roll film taken from the outset of my interest, some going back to the Trifca days of 3 pics on one print.

A few months back I decided that it was time to scan all of our old prints and as also being custodian of historic photos from both sides of the family included these, anyone or any place we could not put a name to got dumped.

Not finished by any means yet but have now scanned just over 2,500 prints.

I will still keep the prints but think that we will view them more now that they are on our computers along with several hard drive backups for good measure.

When finished I will circulate copies to any family members and friends wanting to keep their and our historic roots.

• Like 1

I know what you mean.

Been into photography for most of my life and changed to digital some 20 years ago.

Anyway, like most I have that large box in the loft with all those prints from roll film taken from the outset of my interest, some going back to the Trifca days of 3 pics on one print.

A few months back I decided that it was time to scan all of our old prints and as also being custodian of historic photos from both sides of the family included these, anyone or any place we could not put a name to got dumped.

Not finished by any means yet but have now scanned just over 2,500 prints.

I will still keep the prints but think that we will view them more now that they are on our computers along with several hard drive backups for good measure.

When finished I will circulate copies to any family members and friends wanting to keep their and our historic roots.

Did something similar over Christmas for my 91yr old Dad. ...scanned all his old military and early family prints, then uploaded them to his iPad.

Have to say that the iPad is a good substitute for a classic photo album. Well worth doing.

Edited by ericfield

The one problem with compacts is that their low light level performance can be poor compared to a DSLR with either a full frame or APS-C sensor.

This caused me to swap from a "bridge type" to a DSLR and I'm unlikely to go back.

This article explains the differences

http://www. gizmag. com/camera-sensor-size-guide/26684/

I would not have thought that people think that a compact might compare in quality with full size size camera although quality has vastly improved in the former.

For me, I do not want to be restricted by the size and weight of my DSLR and bag of lenses.

John

For me, I do not want to be restricted by the size and weight of my DSLR and bag of lenses.

An ongoing issue regarding the lenses, but with some of the "superzooms"* now available less of an issue

Sigma 18-300, Tamron 18-270 & 16-300.

I'm seriously tempted by these.

My Leica Lux V-lux 30 is a gem. It has made all my heavier digital stuff semi redundant. :rolleyes:

A Nikon One J1 with a 30-110 VR lens is also well used. :)

The choice of camera is a personal thing, as I wear photochromic glasses in some lights the screen on the compacts is difficult to see so I much prefer a viewfinder. With the DSLR I tend to find I can point, frame, zoom, shoot and take a few shots well before most folk relying on the rear screen have got the first shot.

I would not have thought that people think that a compact might compare in quality with full size size camera although quality has vastly improved in the former.

John

I think many people who buy the biscuit thin compacts are less discerning or concerned with comparisons. Many are ditching them for phones. And since most images are only viewed on screens, tablets or phones the image quality between formats is less obvious anyway.

There is no doubt, though, that some of the so called bridge cameras are on a par with DSLR image quality.

The choice of camera is a personal thing, as I wear photochromic glasses in some lights the screen on the compacts is difficult to see so I much prefer a viewfinder. With the DSLR I tend to find I can point, frame, zoom, shoot and take a few shots well before most folk relying on the rear screen have got the first shot.

Not to mention arm length wobble.

But many bridge cameras, the Fuji is a case in point, have a viewfinder.

After enjoying a 3 day photography workshop in the Lake District in november last year, I recently "invested" in a full frame DSLR and a couple of L lenses (all second-hand ! ). In an effort to try and improve my hit rate for keeper shots, I'm trying to be much more selective about where and when I take the "big" camera. I haven't yet managed to square the weather/time/location circle yet but am planning another trip to the Lakes in the near future.

That said, I don't go anywhere without my Canon G15 (had a G10 before that which SWMBO laid claim to). As a camera to carry about on the off chance that there might be something worth shooting, it's ideal. I was very tempted by the S110 also but thought it might be a bit fiddly.

Anyway, this thread is worthless without pictures. ...

This from the Canon G15:

post-33770-0-12466200-1420478117_thumb.jpg

and this from the last crop sensor dslr which has motivated me to try and do some more:

post-33770-0-54638000-1420479108_thumb.jpg

Be nice to see some shots from the other models mentioned in the thread. ..

Edited by F70100

Nice view of Tarn Hows on that second picture

The River Rothay at White Moss Common

Canon 650D

10511077_10202823490562440_5198338807172

Whitby Abbey same camera

10557221_10202977445691222_2505431420503

Edited by Ich
  • Like 1

I love all the x range Fuji cameras.

I use a Fuji X10, it's a great camera, fits into a coat pocket and takes excellent pics.

A couple of snaps over the Christmas break.

It could do with a slightly bigger sensor but for the money (paid £300 new) it's hard to beat.

post-63974-0-87754300-1420576226_thumb.jpg

post-63974-0-60296500-1420576315_thumb.jpg

Edited by brotherdeal

Not trying to say 'its the best', but I find my compact fine for my needs, Here is a selection of pictures taken during 2014-13. I was pleased with the airshow, in the daylight I could not see the screen and it was a lot of guesswork.

Samsung Galaxy Camera.

Damage to Van
https://www. dropbox. com/sh/3mer07u13kzk1f2/AADVziVkACqkgPnYlnviPKrSa?dl=0

Dunsfold Airshow Oct
https://www. dropbox. com/sh/l2v6dswgx6ygztv/AADCpkTRQrch8IqRY3wsHe3qa?dl=0

Lakes Feb
https://www. dropbox. com/sh/rhkq6pf0hizox2j/AACbS3pPcbP_OGcCoogbD6FDa?dl=0

Westonbirt Nov 2013
https://www. dropbox. com/sh/cirgvv8hdc1ffyo/AAChlRY6SvMl7eIkXOWX3lBTa?dl=0

John

Edited by JCloughie

The biggest difference between most modern cameras, except the very cheapest, is the person holding it. A good photographer with an average camera can produce far better pictures than an average photographer with an expensive camera.

That said, mid price compacts can produce excellent pictures while being easy to carry and mid price bridge cameras often have fantastic zoom range, good low light ability and great video ability.

I am not trying to say these are the bees knees but I think they are OK for a compact camera. It will give a good idea of the Galaxy camera, mark 1, I believe there is a new one out but do not know what the improvements might be.

Click here:

https://www. dropbox. com/sh/ij7gxdzjwxmf8g2/AADpX1DC8I95skT4kfhKiuvUa?dl=0

John

I use a coz on d600 with an 18 to 135 lens attached, great to use and great pictures. I have never until recently been at all impressed with cameras on phones but. ... Last November my Lumia 800 phone refused to start, I bought it cheap as an end of line, but apparently it still came with a 2 year warranty. So away it went gif repair and 3 days later they sent me "my" phone back. It was not my phone it was a Lumia 930 selling at an outrageous price but free to me. A week later I went to Cyprus on holiday and took some pictures on to put on Facebook for my family. Now when I look at the pictures it takes they are in many ways the equal of those I took of the same scenes on my Canon. I am tempted to sell the canon but I will not as it is much more flexible than the phone.

I hate predictive text that should be Canon D600.

Edited by Bill Lord

Sign in to follow this