Sign in to follow this  
xjjohn

We Still Build Caravans How Come No Cars

I would think that due to continual strikes and demands for higher wages, the companies decided it may it better to move off shore or to sell up to foreigners?

Except that when foreign management moved in they seemed to have little trouble with the unions. Under- investment and poor management seem to have been equally culpable.

I think by then the unions may have known better, or at least were not as strong.

Not easy to get investments for a white elephant I was once told by the DP of a Rover dealership I subbed for.

i get that but most are now owned by other countrys. bmw mini and so on. we seem to bulid cars for other countrys. .it seems sad we no longer have cars we could truly say were british.

Because most British cars were quite simply *****.

The British caravan industry is not nuch better than the poor quality and build shambles that was BL et al.

• Like 1

paulthomas, on 31 Dec 2014 - 5:40 PM, said:

Except that when foreign management moved in they seemed to have little trouble with the unions. Under- investment and poor management seem to have been equally culpable.

I know a couple of people who were saying that when the foreign company took them over, that they were no longer a number instead they were part of the team, they were also given shares in the company.

• Like 2

British cars, auto deleted? What's that about. Never heard of it.

Interesting though that Mini is seen as a success, while Rover 75 is often seen as no good. Designed in the same office, by the same people, using many of the same parts. Go figure as the Americans would say.

• Like 1

British cars, auto deleted? What's that about. Never heard of it.

Interesting though that Mini is seen as a success, while Rover 75 is often seen as no good. Designed in the same office, by the same people, using many of the same parts. Go figure as the Americans would say.

The British car industry went into self-destruct mode, with every factor involved equally culpable - the government, the unions, the workforce, the dealers and the customers.

The original Mini never made a profit, despite the brilliant concept and it's long production run - the MINI and Rover 75 were designs overseen by BMW so more successful, but too little too late in the 75's case.

Ford must be given huge credit for turning JLR around as BMW did LR no favours.

Ford must be given huge credit for turning JLR around as BMW did LR no favours.

No arguments with that. IMO what a huge shame they did not stay to reap the benefits.

No arguments with that. IMO what a huge shame they did not stay to reap the benefits.

Ford had enough issues of it's own, trying to push the "One Ford" programme through and sorting Lincoln out, its own basket case.

I also think that Ford realised that JLR needed complete engineering autonomy to succeed and Detroit acknowledged they wouldn't allow that.

Are there many truly large companies, worldwide, that are owned by shareholders of one country? I would doubt it and I believe that we live and work in a global economy where most large companies are multi national,

Reagrds,

Ian

• Like 1

Are there many truly large companies, worldwide, that are owned by shareholders of one country? I would doubt it and I believe that we live and work in a global economy where most large companies are multi national,

Reagrds,

Ian

Good to see you back Ian.

A very Happy New Year to you!

• Like 1

yes it seems that way to me also. i know we build loads of cars here for the rest of the world and i guess it keeps folk in a job but we don't have a mainstream car maker since rover went bust. you could argue they were rubbish and deserved it,but i don't they had the support or they might still be a force today?

I thought that Rover were bought by BMW who put tens of millions into the company but still couldn't make it work. It was then sold for a pittance to a group that ran it into the ground having put millions into their own pension pots first. Or do I remember it incorrectly?

Alan

• Like 1

I thought that Rover were bought by BMW who put tens of millions into the company but still couldn't make it work. It was then sold for a pittance to a group that ran it into the ground having put millions into their own pension pots first. Or do I remember it incorrectly?

Alan

BMW bought Rover Group, used LR's expertise to design the X5 and then sold LR on to Ford, asset-stripped as much as they could of the rest keeping Cowley for themselves and giving the worthless Rover Cars to Phoenix.

BMW bought Rover Group, used LR's expertise to design the X5 and then sold LR on to Ford, asset-stripped as much as they could of the rest keeping Cowley for themselves and giving the worthless Rover Cars to Phoenix.

sounds about right. but it shoudnt have been like that.

sounds about right. but it shoudnt have been like that.

I don't recall anyone else being remotely interested in aquiring Rover Group when BMW did.

Ah - The Phoenix Four - the ruination of our UK owned car industry.

• Like 1

For those unfamiliar with the above, the story continues.

http://www. telegraph. co. uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/11188772/MG-Rovers-Phoenix-Four-to-receive-more-than-1m-each. html

They struck the final blow but the rot started decades before that - from top to bottom, the UK had totally the wrong attitudes to rebuilding after WW2.

• Like 1

How polite everyone is being .

Mrs T and her government decided to close down British Industry and she made an excellent job of it.

It has gone!

My pal claims the alternative would have been even worse.

Well how can I prove him wrong?

I worked in BMC Bathgate for 10 years quality was appalling management was a joke and the unions?

One year we had 340 plus strikes in 240 working days!

We Scots had a recent sight of our dinosaur union leaders and their views at Grangemouth Refinery where they almost lost 1000 well paid jobs.

Then their murky undemocratic interefering in the Falkirk by election.

On the incompetent management side--well we will soon read of The Bankers Christmas Bonuses for their incompetent performance in 2014!

In absolute terms on paper our vehicle output looks not to bad 1970 2. 1 million vehicles built 2013 1. 6 million.

Sadly in that time Germany has almost doubled her output to 5. 8 million and much more importantly still owns the technology.

China is now the giant on the block with 22. 1 million vehicles produced in 2013.

http://en. wikipedia. org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_motor_vehicle_production

As stated lets hope they do not start caravan production.

A Happy New Year to all :D .

How polite everyone is being .

Mrs T and her government decided to close down British Industry and she made an excellent job of it.

It has gone!

My pal claims the alternative would have been even worse.

Well how can I prove him wrong?

I worked in BMC Bathgate for 10 years quality was appalling management was a joke and the unions?

One year we had 340 plus strikes in 240 working days!

We Scots had a recent sight of our dinosaur union leaders and their views at Grangemouth Refinery where they almost lost 1000 well paid jobs.

Then their murky undemocratic interefering in the Falkirk by election.

On the incompetent management side--well we will soon read of The Bankers Christmas Bonuses for their incompetent performance in 2014!

In absolute terms on paper our vehicle output looks not to bad 1970 2. 1 million vehicles built 2013 1. 6 million.

Sadly in that time Germany has almost doubled her output to 5. 8 million and much more importantly still owns the technology.

China is now the giant on the block with 22. 1 million vehicles produced in 2013.

http://en. wikipedia. org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_motor_vehicle_production

As stated lets hope they do not start caravan production.

A Happy New Year to all :D .

BS - British industry had put the writing on the wall while Margaret Thatcher was still at university.

Problem was that having "won" WW2 we lost the peace, every other country set about rebuilding bur UK plc including its workforce sat back on their laurels and thought the world owed them a living - result was that British industry became uncompetitive on quality and cost with every other country

• Like 1

Actually it took Mrs T and the unions to destroy British industry.

For Mrs T there were two options, modernise her way or die.

For the unions there were two options, stay the same or die.

They took the route they agreed on!

• Like 2

I feel the main reason was we did not want the vehicles, given an option.

Somehow, with caravans the bulk market still wants the unique UK style and looks little further at what is being purchased.

paulthomas, on 01 Jan 2015 - 09:41 AM, said:

Good to see you back Ian.

A very Happy New Year to you!

:goodpost::)

Actually it took Mrs T and the unions to destroy British industry.

Mrs T & the Torys invested 1bn in BL and every pound had to be matched by the company, so the government did their bit and that was a lot of money back in the 70's, and it still is today.

The company was let down by poor management and ultra left wing unions. I know I worked at Cowley for 22 years and with a few other people literary took on the unions without success. One thing I would praise the management for was for not sacking me when the union convener asked them to get rid of me after we had a very big altercation.

• Like 2

Mrs T & the Torys invested 1bn in BL and every pound had to be matched by the company, so the government did their bit and that was a lot of money back in the 70's, and it still is today.

The company was let down by poor management and ultra left wing unions. I know I worked at Cowley for 22 years and with a few other people literary took on the unions without success. One thing I would praise the management for was for not sacking me when the union convener asked them to get rid of me after we had a very big altercation.

Simply throwing money is never a good way of solving problems. Had Mrs T insisted on replacing the managers with competant ones and then let them manage, things might have been different.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this