Adjuster From Metric To Imperial

Just wondered if you knew how to convert my swan neck towbar which is a metric 50 mil to fit a vintage caravans 2" hitch?

Is there an adjuster that can be fitted? Need the metric one for my Elddis caravan, so need it to be easily fitted and removed.

"Mavis" 1992 Elddis Force 2 towed by 2011 Vauxhall Meriva 1. 7 CDTi - Just me and my dog

“Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love. They depart to teach us about loss. A new dog never replaces an old dog; it merely expands the heart. If you have loved many dogs, your heart is very big." Erica Jong

DON'T use a 50mm ball with a 2" hitch - the difference is enough to risk detachment.

Investigate the possibility of changing the 2" head for a 50mm head - it'll depend if the shaft diameter is common though.

• Like 1

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

What year is your Elddis? Are you sure it is 2" . . It's quite a while since 2" was replaced by 50mm.

You may be able to pick up a 50mm head for your existing hitch.

Thing is . . NEVER put a 50mm hitch onto a 2" ball . .it is one H**L of a job to get off.

Roughing it . . but in comfort . .

Just wondered if you knew how to convert my swan neck towbar which is a metric 50 mil to fit a vintage caravans 2" hitch?

Is there an adjuster that can be fitted? Need the metric one for my Elddis caravan, so need it to be easily fitted and removed.

Don't try to mix and match. If you want to retain your vintage look it may be possible to source a 50mm vintage looking hitch from a caravan breakers.

John.

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

Now this could bring us onto another point as BG has pointed out, when did you last measure your coupling or lowball for wear.

My mobile serviceman measures my towball every year, specifically in two directions to ensure it's not wearing unevenly and still within tolerances.

Dealers don't as the car isn't there and the MoT doesn't with a detachable if it's not on the car (I don't think they measure it anyway).

Elddis started in 1964 . . I am fairly sure the 50mm hitch became standard in the 1950's, so your van is almost certainly already a 50mm hitch

Hi, sorry for the confusion, my Elddis is a 1992 with an Alko hitch - I have a swan neck detachable tow bar for that which is 50mm. I have just bought a 1968 Viking which I will be renovating and taking to festivals for catering purposes. That will have I presume an old imperial hitch which will slightly too big for my current tow bar.

I just wondered if there was something that could fit over the top that takes up the slack or can detachable tow bars be bought in an imperial 2" that I could easily swap?

Elddis started in 1964 . . I am fairly sure the 50mm hitch became standard in the 1950's, so your van is almost certainly already a 50mm hitch

It is a late 60's viking - I wonder if it is 50mm then? Will get it checked thanks

"Mavis" 1992 Elddis Force 2 towed by 2011 Vauxhall Meriva 1. 7 CDTi - Just me and my dog

“Dogs come into our lives to teach us about love. They depart to teach us about loss. A new dog never replaces an old dog; it merely expands the heart. If you have loved many dogs, your heart is very big." Erica Jong

Clean up the hitch casting and have a good look for numbers cast or embossed which may give the size.

I thought the changeover was in the '70s but it's before my time really.

Edited by Black Grouse
  • Like 1

I thought the changeover was in the '70s but it's before my time really.

I well remember the change over and the problems it caused on the rally field when 2" ball Landrovers towed 50mm ball caravans through the mud . . I had almost given up rallying in the 70's . . though I admit my memory pictures Series 2 LRs so that is after 1958

Slightly O/T but are there published figures for allowable wear on a 50mm ball?

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2, 1955 Francis Barnett Cruiser 75

I recall the wear allowed was 1mm.

IME they don't wear quickly, my last 50mm ball was 10 years old with negligible wear.

I have seen a published tolerance of -0. 8 to +0. 0 mm in every direction - it may not have been exactly spherical when new and ungreased hitch friction stabilsers to cause more wear than the greased hitch and blade stabiliser used previously

Edited by Black Grouse

Yes I think my memory has got the 1mm wrong

"Towball has reached the lowest wear limit of 49. 61mm dia."

From the link.

http://www. al-ko. co. uk/edit/files/handbooks/caravanchassishandbookwhite. pdf

Yes I think my memory has got the 1mm wrong

"Towball has reached the lowest wear limit of 49. 61mm dia."

From the link.

http://www. al-ko. co. uk/edit/files/handbooks/caravanchassishandbookwhite. pdf

I'm happy to take that Alko link as definitive - but the figure of 49. 61mm just seems a strange number.

Isn't it a requirement of ISO 74058 that a 50mm tow ball has a flat top and 50mm stamped onto it?

The OP knows that he's got a 50mm hitch (presumably with a flat top) the issue is the caravan hitch.

• Like 1

The OP knows that he's got a 50mm hitch (presumably with a flat top) the issue is the caravan hitch.

Yes there will be a small amount of play - obviously unacceptable, just wondered if there was a simple device that fits between the 2 rather than buying another tow ball.

I cannot say that I have ever seen a 2" ball with a swan neck mounting therefore I suggest you contact Watling Engineers as they may be able to assist you.

Remember too that apart from the differing diameters, the 2" (50. 8mm) towball has a different profile from the 50mm item as there is no ledge below the 2" ball for a latching mechanism to locate in.

2 inch towball profile.jpg 50mm towball profile.jpg

I don't believe there is any kind of adaptor available, so I fear you will have to replace either the hitch or the towball to achieve compatability.

Hope this is some help.

Gordon.

Watling Engineers

88 Parkstreet Village

St. Albans

AL2 2LR.

Tel: 01727-873661

Email: sales@tow-bars. co. uk

Web: http://www. watling-towbars. co. uk

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan Talk.

Yes there will be a small amount of play - obviously unacceptable, just wondered if there was a simple device that fits between the 2 rather than buying another tow ball.

Given that the difference between 2" and 50mm is only around . 032" (32 thou) or 0. 8mm, then any device would have a radial thickness of only . 016" or so. I can't imagine any device of that thickness being robust enough to take the forces involved. As others have said, I'd look into replacing the hitch on the older caravan.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2, 1955 Francis Barnett Cruiser 75

There is some interesting (for those who are interested, anyway) historic Gen on hitches on this pdf

Gosh, didnt realise there were so many!

Thanks for the pdf Disco Kid, very interesting.

Does anyone remeber the 1 1/4" dia. ball hitch? Yes I am realy that old LOL.

3L auto Nissan Terrano, 2004 & Swift Elegance 530, 2018. As Leonardo da Vinci once said: 'If you find from your own experience that something is a fact & it contradicts what some authority has written down, then you must abandon the authority & base your reasoning on your own findings' ie: use your common sense!