Sign in to follow this  
Cheshire_Centre

Rallying With The Caravan Club

Hi,

I was wondering how many people on here Rally with their local club?

We are promoting Rallying and would love to see some new faces, have a look here for some idea about rallying with the Cheshire centre http://youtu. be/TjMIFS9XptI

For the more seasoned of you, next year is our Celebration year, 600th Rally and 45th Year, fancy coming along to have a fun May Day weekend? post-71072-0-16177500-1419347139_thumb.jpg

Well, we tried rallying with your Centre back in the late 80s/early 90s when our daughters were still tagging along. We were never made to feel welcome, especially at the socials where, if you couldn't line or sequence dance you were left in the background. There wasn't any other form of dancing, e. g. disco dancing, that we could all join in without knowing the moves. No-one made an effort to involve us or show us the moves. Oh, and when we arrived on site after work, we found most of the pegs had a welly on them to reserve for regulars. Would you be surprised that we decided after a few weekends of the same that the Centre was nothing more than a big clique? We reverted back to the C&CC where we always have felt comfortable. So thank you for the invitation but I think we'll give it a miss.

Edited by MalH
  • Like 3

So it was like that 20 -30 years ago. At least you don't bear a grudge

• Like 4

So it was like that 20 -30 years ago. At least you don't bear a grudge

No I bear a few scars!

Personally I find that when heading out of a bend on full throttle with opposite lock the caravan tends to swing out wildly - mind you I did have summer tyres on the caravan at the time :D

Edited by springtime

I've always thought that Rallies are like marmite.

But I'vd never tried them!

We have done about 660 rallies ( thats about 27 English, 5 Scottish plus Ireland,no Welsh,CC Centres)...including many of the Cheshire Centre Celebration ones, and as they are the biggest Centre of all they have more Celebrations than others. ............however, we had not been with them for a while until middle of this year and found exactly the opposite of early posters. .we were asked across to Marshalls 'van for tea on arrival, then for a natter and another cuppa at teatime. ..following night an on-field bbq provided free by Marshalls. ........none of his was forced on us and many families stayed in their 'vans. ...

Friendly. .most certainly

geoff

• Like 1

Maybe it's changed, but the faces look the same only older!

Wispman, your thinking is wrong. Rallies are not all the same.

I am surprised how often people who have not experienced something do not like it.

I am surprised how often people who have not experienced something do not like it.

The fear of the unknown so they rubbish it as quick as possible so they don't look stupid being too scared to go.

• Like 2

We have rallied with the Cheshire Centre at home and abroad since 1991 and have always had a good time.

One bad experience, particularly if it is a first experience, puts people off for a very long time, and if they find an arrangement that suits them well, they may never go back.

• Like 2

One bad experience, particularly if it is a first experience, puts people off for a very long time, and if they find an arrangement that suits them well, they may never go back.

Exactly!!!!

There will always be good and bad rallies a lot of the time it depends on the weather, good weather people sitting outside easy to talk to and easy to invite strangers to stop for a chat, bad weather inside the van with the door shut so difficult to get to know people.

I've got to admit the sequence dancing put us off a bit with North Lancs in the early 80s but we did enjoy the TOW and volleyball.

I've never rallied with the Cheshire centre, we are going to Germany with them in 2015 though, but have met many of their members on other rallies.

It's a pity the celebration is on at the same time as the Scottish National rally as it will effect attendance at both.

Ian

Well, we tried rallying with your Centre back in the late 80s/early 90s when our daughters were still tagging along. We were never made to feel welcome, especially at the socials where, if you couldn't line or sequence dance you were left in the background. There wasn't any other form of dancing, e. g. disco dancing, that we could all join in without knowing the moves. No-one made an effort to involve us or show us the moves. Oh, and when we arrived on site after work, we found most of the pegs had a welly on them to reserve for regulars. Would you be surprised that we decided after a few weekends of the same that the Centre was nothing more than a big clique? We reverted back to the C&CC where we always have felt comfortable. So thank you for the invitation but I think we'll give it a miss.

Some of the reasons why we never bothered with carrying on rallying with the CC or C & CC. I think many centres are desperately scratching the bottom of the barrel looking for new members.

I think the main reason why people do not want to rally is that people no longer want to do without the luxuries when camping. Try booking a place of a rally where there is EHU and you will be lucky to get a booking! That says it all!

• Like 3

Malh, some is a word that would fit in your reply nicely. Some of us want something a little different from a housing estate when we use the van. Try getting on the York Rally at Easter, it will be full up and no hook up.

We've rallied for over 30 years with C&CC various DA's and sections, recently joined the C. C. Hoping for some new experiences, but still the same old pre booking. When we both work full time, and her as a care worker with no set pattern of shifts, pre booking ing Dec or Jan for a May Day rally is a non starter.

I agree with the posting above that the reason rally's seem to be falling out of favour is that the new generation of caravanners want to plug into EHU for their telly, micro wave and pumped wet central heating

• Like 2

We've rallied for over 30 years with C&CC various DA's and sections, recently joined the C. C. Hoping for some new experiences, but still the same old pre booking. When we both work full time, and her as a care worker with no set pattern of shifts, pre booking ing Dec or Jan for a May Day rally is a non starter.

I agree with the posting above that the reason rally's seem to be falling out of favour is that the new generation of caravanners want to plug into EHU for their telly, micro wave and pumped wet central heating

Only some of the new generation want ehu, some just don't like having to book long in advance or being told what to do on a weekend away.

Have rallied with the C&CC and the CC over the years. I liked the C&CC ones because I could just turn up and be made welcome. It was a bit of a bind pre-booking CC rallies so far ahead.

• Like 2

Only some of the new generation want ehu, some just don't like having to book long in advance or being told what to do on a weekend away.

Oh Dear---- that hoary old chestnut again ! We have for years rallied with the C&CC--- never been told what to do other than "join in or not --- its up to you " Regardind booking -- VERY few C&CC D/A rallies are prebooked-- its normaly "turn up & enjoy " We dont rally with the C. C. --- did one rally . ...................

• Like 2

Oh Dear---- that hoary old chestnut again ! We have for years rallied with the C&CC--- never been told what to do other than "join in or not --- its up to you " Regardind booking -- VERY few C&CC D/A rallies are prebooked-- its normaly "turn up & enjoy " We dont rally with the C. C. --- did one rally . ...................

Sorry, I was rather assuming that the person I quoted was talking about the CC, from the use of the word "centres".

• Like 1

Stevan, I have been on lots of rallies, not once was I told what do. Personally I think it is a bit of a myth that this happens.

Maybe you confuse being invited to join in if you fancy it, with being told what to do.

I feel this sort of talk, often unfounded, scares people off trying what they might well go on to enjoy.

• Like 2

Stevan, I have been on lots of rallies, not once was I told what do. Personally I think it is a bit of a myth that this happens.

Maybe you confuse being invited to join in if you fancy it, with being told what to do.

I feel this sort of talk, often unfounded, scares people off trying what they might well go on to enjoy.

Spot on. ....... We go on many rallies where we don't know certain people are on until they leave as they just want to be doing 'their own thing'...

It is like the talk of cruises ' you have to do this and have to do that'.....apart from an initial safety briefing you don't do anything you don't want to do. ..

geoff

• Like 1

Most certainly not a myth! I have on a few occasions been on a field shared by two rallies, the CC rally folk were told exactly where to pitch, which way to point their caravan and where to park their towcars. For the others it was a case of "anywhere down this side". I also joined CC one year because I wanted access to some CLs and some were charming, but others were oppresive in telling me what to do or not do.

• Like 2