Sign in to follow this  
TwoMoles

Losing Jack Points

We have fitted powertouch movers to our Bailey Unicorn Barcelona, (twin axle) and have lost our Jack points, (hate the Alko Jack anyway). I have bought a Kojack but will have to drill new holes in the chassis further out from the centre, has anyone else done this? What have you done Jack wise by fitting motor movers? I really do not like jacking the van up each time to put the Alko locks on, it cannot be good to keep stressing the chassis

Drilling the Alko chassis is a no-no. Apart from the unlikely event of having to make a claim on the warranty for future chassis problems when any warranty will be void it could be a problem at trade in.

Some seem to fit one Alko lock and another type approved lock on the second wheel

I fit 1 alko lock on rear wheel and another type on the front wheel called a Nemesis Ultra. I also have a stronghold hitchlock. The nemesis is approved by my insurance company 'Safeguard ' so I am happy that if it was stolen I would be covered. The Nemesis has a bar which fits through the wheel and stos it turning because it hits the chassis. I too would not jack up my van although there is a leveling air bag system which allows you to let 1 wheel spin free to fit the Alko if you want.

I have never had a twin axle caravan so forgive me if this is a daft suggestion, but is it possible to align one wheel with the Al-ko lock and then deflate the other tyre to allow it to be turned into position, perhaps using the jockey wheel to get a little more clearance?

I use an old Land Rover bottle jack placed on the chassis between both wheels. Although I never have the caravan disconnected from the car as this can cause instability issues.

• Like 1

Lifting the van to put a wheel lock on,could you use a Milenco type caravan Leveler I don't know if it's possible or strong enough. And just in case you have a puncture you could carry a levelling block so you could drive one of the wheels onto this thus lifting the other for removal. Just a couple of suggestions before you weaken your chassis.

• Like 1

Buy a Lock n Level on web this will solve your problems.

• Like 1

On no account should you drill the chassis! It is also illegal!

As somebody has already suggested the Lock & Level is the easiest option for fitting and levelling a Twin Axle, also I had 2 Kojack bottle jacks collapse on me, I presumed the 1st one was faulty when it let go spraying oil from the top seal, second time it was used, so exchanged for another which lasted 3 attempts and then the same thing happened, after that I would not touch one with a long stick.

A wheel leveller like the Milenco or Bulldog.

Don't drill the chassis it will weaken it.

• Like 1

Several points come to mind here.

Drilling a lightweight chassis should never be done for two reasons. First there is a possibility of weakening the chassis, and second by doing so it may invalidate your insurance.

Jacking up a caravan should be the exception, not the rule, and having to do this simply to secure the caravan is quite frankly ludicrous, and a perfectly avoidable hazard.

A security device should be designed to protect the owner's property without placing them at risk of injury. While I accept it may be possible to easily fit the Al-Ko wheel lock to a single axle caravan, the probability of both wheels of a twin axle being in alignment for two locks is remote, hence the (in my opinion, unacceptable) requirement to raise the wheel from the ground to rotate it.

As for raising a caravan for the purpose if changing a punctured tyre, I would never trust a flimsy scissor jack, or a narrow topped bottle jack, but would use a trolley jack under the axle mount, backed by an axle stand, before removing a wheel. Even then, only if the caravan was hitched to the towcar.

If a wheel lock is required by an insurance company, then I would always choose one of the various designs that clamp around the wheel without the need to raise the caravan. Additionally I would always fit a good quality boot style hitch-lock.

Gordon.

• Like 2

We have fitted powertouch movers to our Bailey Unicorn Barcelona, (twin axle) and have lost our Jack points, (hate the Alko Jack anyway). I have bought a Kojack but will have to drill new holes in the chassis further out from the centre, has anyone else done this? What have you done Jack wise by fitting motor movers? I really do not like jacking the van up each time to put the Alko locks on, it cannot be good to keep stressing the chassis

As per other posts, do NOT drill any holes in the chassis. With Towergate Insurance they do not require two locks to be fitted. In addition, you can buy a Lock 'n Level which will resolve all your problems allow you to fit two ALKO locks without using a jack.

Just jack up near to the axle, either on a axle or the double thick plated part of the chassis that the axle is welded too.

If you drill and jack away from the recommended area the chassis can be bent, I had a AWS man do that and that prat slightly bent my chassis on my last caravan, I now use another AWS man that jacks correctly.

I routinely jack up my caravan while unattached to a car, as do ALL AWS men.

I have used the Lock n level to change a wheel, fit the Alko locks and to level the van. Just drive onto the device and stand back while the compressor does the hard work, so easy.

I use a double action hydraulic jack directly under the suspension part on the chassis. The first picture is the jack I use it is a very low profile, has a very wide base and a saddle top to avoid sliding off. I also have a more traditional one placed alongside in the second picture to give a comparison. post-33096-0-80078700-1418759808_thumb.jpgpost-33096-0-75737300-1418759867_thumb.jpg

I have used the Lock n level to change a wheel, fit the Alko locks and to level the van. Just drive onto the device and stand back while the compressor does the hard work, so easy.

I have done the same - great bit of kit.

Steve

Edited by BroGoat

I find the quickest and easiest way to fit both alko locks to my twin axle caravan is to simply side a trolley jack between the wheels a jack up on the chassis - takes a couple of minutes and job done

I find the quickest and easiest way to fit both alko locks to my twin axle caravan is to simply side a trolley jack between the wheels a jack up on the chassis - takes a couple of minutes and job done

Seriously? You take a trolley jack on holiday with you?

Seriously? You take a trolley jack on holiday with you?

Yep, and i know lots of other people who do to. We tend to leave the jack under the caravan while we are away so its not in the way. It certainly helps to have a big boot. :-)

I've looked into different bottle jacks as an alternative as to the trolley jack but have found the trolley jack to be so much easier and quicker to use. We tend to leave the jack under the caravan while we are away so its not in the way.

I took a trolley jack to France last time I went and used it to change a caravan wheel following a puncture. Much easier that a side jack and iy just sat in the bowels of the boot until required. It also helped when putting the old wheel back into the Alko frame.

I use a trolley jack at home but take a carajack on holiday, trolley jack is easier but I weighed mine at around 11kg, against the carajack at around 4kg.

I use a trolley jack at home but take a carajack on holiday, trolley jack is easier but I weighed mine at around 11kg, against the carajack at around 4kg.

That 4 kgs, does it include the brackets to; these of course come off the van's rather than the cars payload?

Even with my Disco3's payload I don't carry a trolley jack I have made an alloy adaptor to be able to use the Disco's jack I already carry to suit the van. I do have to haul the van's sickened wheel up onto my wooden blocks but I carry them anyway.

I too have Barcelona but only ever put two locks on over winter or during longer period of not using the 'van. Do this using a trolley jack. Have CC insurance and not taken out the lock discount so there is no requirement to fit both - a hitch lock and the alarm/tracker are all that is needed.

Have one of these http://www. trailervision. co. uk/index. php?main_page=product_info&products_id=211 that I keep in the front locker if I need to change a wheel. Not had to use it yet (thankfully) but it's there is needed.

Cheers

Paul

I too have a twin-axle caravan and use two Al-Ko wheel locks.

I used to have a Kojack bottle jack with their brackets, but the seal went on my jack too and it now no longer works. I then bought a Clarke bottle jack, which i placed under the axle, but this often involved having to lay on the floor to make sure it was correctly aligned. What a pain just to fit a lock!!!

If a bottle jack is used, then you need to make sure that it compresses low enough to be placed under the axle with both tyres deflated (worst case scenario).

I have to say that I often wonder if constantly jacking the caravan up to fit the locks causes any structural damage to the caravan/chassis in the long term? Never heard of any such issue myself though.

Dave O

• Like 1