Sign in to follow this  
Deefi

Land Rover Assistance Not Enough? Do I Need Cover X 2?

Hi

I have recently bought a Range Rover and am reliably informed that if i have a problem with the car whilst towing Land Rover will recover me and the van. However if there is a problem with the caravan they won't help me. So to be safe do I have to get another breakdown as well? It sounds sensible to call a land rover expert if i have a problem but if i have a caravan problem then I call the other breadown service? Seems a little crazy? So if so then I suppose i'll get Adac as well to cover me in Europe too. Advice appreciated. ...

thx

Hi I had a new Freelander and due to reliability issues I took the caravan club green flag, as you are correct when you break down LR Assist will either fix it or recover your RR and your caravan iF ATTACHED to a local repairers. Could be inconvenient if your caravan is miles from home and the hire car is a Focus. My plan was call Green Flag and get your car & caravan to your destination site or home then sort out the RR.

One big advantage of the Club scheme* is that they will return the caravan to storage, the car to a local garage and you to home. I don't know of any regular breakdown cover which would that.

The worst case for me is - what happens if I'm on a caravan site, but have gone out for the day. If I break down and it's going to be a major repair, how do I get my caravan home?

* If you buy the right level of cover.

Hi

I have recently bought a Range Rover and am reliably informed that if i have a problem with the car whilst towing Land Rover will recover me and the van. However if there is a problem with the caravan they won't help me. So to be safe do I have to get another breakdown as well? It sounds sensible to call a land rover expert if i have a problem but if i have a caravan problem then I call the other breadown service? Seems a little crazy? So if so then I suppose i'll get Adac as well to cover me in Europe too. Advice appreciated. ...

thx

ADAC is the German AA breakdown service and will only tow you to a local garage and will only recover you to UK if the vehicle can not be repaired . For a recovery service in Europe go for someone like Red Pennant . I find some new car cover will only cover in the UK and is worth checking if it covers Europe .

Dave

It's so annoying and costly. I get free recovery with two separate schemes. Neither of which will cover the Caravan. I've offered extra cash as a top up but No. So good old Caravan Club /Green Flag for either of us in any vehicle. I'm out of pocket but it works.

ADAC is the German AA breakdown service and will only tow you to a local garage and will only recover you to UK if the vehicle can not be repaired . For a recovery service in Europe go for someone like Red Pennant . I find some new car cover will only cover in the UK and is worth checking if it covers Europe .

Dave

Plus one! Only way to go!! ;)

Hello Deefi, We purchased a new Discovery 4 with all the bells & whistles of Land Rover breakdown but read the small print, if the Land Rover breaks down whilst towing there is a limit to the length of caravan they will recover. We have continued our May Day policy.

This doesn't just apply to LR but to most if not all manufacturers.

• Like 1

I pay a small extra premium with my caravan insurance which gives me cover with the AA . The cover is for when I have a problem with the caravan including if it is sited. if my car breaks down when away from the site they will recover the caravan for me

Edited by pagan

Good choice of tow car, which one did you get?

Mayday for UK and red pennant for abroad.

I wonder why no other recovery firm has come up with a service to match what is on offer from Mayday ?

Yes I know there is the RAC one but that has shortcomings compared with Mayday so I read occasionally ( not venturing off tarmac being one ).

Judging by the posts on this forum alone it appears there would be a lot of interest if the price was cheaper for the same service.

Ian

I wonder why manufacturers sell vehicles knowing that many of them will be used for towing and dont either include full caravan cover or at least offer an upgrade option.

• Like 1

I wonder why manufacturers sell vehicles knowing that many of them will be used for towing and dont either include full caravan cover or at least offer an upgrade option.

I should think they get a good deal just covering the risk on new cars start adding variables of old caravans and different lengths and widths it would then become a less of a attraction to a recovery insurance company .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

I was in a similar situation with the Kuga when it was new but never did cancel my Britannia Rescue for that very reason. I merely extend my Britannia Rescue when travelling abroad. I find this approach nearer to my requirements of just getting me etc. home if things go wrong. Other protection is much more comprehensive but you pay for what you get. Repatriation without holiday continuation etc. in the event of a severe breakdown or accident at an acceptable cost does me. Others want and pay for more.

Land Rover assistance (as with most) is supplied by the AA, same as Vauxhall/Ford/the list goes on They are usually VERY accomodating when it comes to looking after it's members and only refuse service if the truck and trailer (caravan) takes it over the limit for the vehicle. The experience I have had with LR assistance and the AA has always been great.

Chris

Land Rover assistance (as with most) is supplied by the AA, same as Vauxhall/Ford/the list goes on They are usually VERY accomodating when it comes to looking after it's members and only refuse service if the truck and trailer (caravan) takes it over the limit for the vehicle. The experience I have had with LR assistance and the AA has always been great.

Chris

Well Honda use the AA and I certainly didn't find them accommodating.

When the turbo went on my (company) car, I made it to the garage under its own steam. Fortunately the garage were able to replace the turbo by the end of the week, because the breakdown company (before I joined Mayday) weren't interested in helping me get the car or caravan home.

Can't remember if it was AA or RAC - it would have been one of them.

Good choice of tow car, which one did you get?

Mayday for UK and red pennant for abroad.

Got the Vogue SE 2011 - its a beauty!

Sign in to follow this