Sign in to follow this  
Jiffy176

Weak Signal Booster And Multiple Device Access Point

We mainly use club sites when away and take iPads. Home broadband is with BT so we have the ability to use BT broadband when out and about

I am interested in what are the systems available to pick up a weaker wifi signal and allow connection for the iPad.

I have seen the iboost system and in an ideal world would go for this but I can't really justify that cost for what is only a few nights per year.

I read the info about the TP wireless AP and wondered if that worked with the likes of BT FON etc.

Anyone else use any other kit?

Thanks.

Seriously, just buy an iboost from motorhome wifi . co. uk.

It does all you want and more.

I have had one for the last 18 months and it has revolutionised our reception, home and abroad.

+1 iboost from motorhome wifi

• Like 1

does Iboost allow you to use multiple devices or is it just a repeater that you can connect multiple devices to?

caravan and camping club wifi requires a device to login each time and from what i gather I boost will just pass through that to the end device basically being a wifi repeater.

if its just a repeater then its a highly overpriced device that not much more use than an old router in repeater mode with a big gain antenna.

What i am looking for is something that can log into the site wifi web page and then provide my own wifi internally to multiple devices on the one connection.

Edited by BGB

My understanding of the iBoost system is that it connects to the wifi hotspot, using credentials provided by the site / CC, it then generates an independant hotspot that you and the family connect to. The site only ever sees one connection.

I'm no expert (I always felt this product was overpriced) but I believe this product behaves in the way you would want it to.

Do remember that most smartphones have this functionality built in (personal hotspot) and some phones (iPhones excluded) allow connection to an external antenna. There is also a software package called Connectify that does this too - trouble is, your laptop needs to be switched on of course for it to work.

Edited by tictag

Here's what we use and does the same as the iBoost set up (£160!!) at a big cost saving:

http://www. solwise. co. uk/wireless-usb-usbwifirpt-3000. html @ £48. Ok, it's 240v but you can get a 12v adapter.

http://www. solwise. co. uk/wireless-usb-utp2470-12. html @ £41.

Our set up is really only used to find and access BT Fon. Sometimes we're lucky and get something 2 miles away but if there's no Fon due to distance or coverage, then that's the end of that. This is no different to the iBoost. You could always use an Omni directional antenna for ease of finding a possible signal but you'll lose range/distance.

Just to add that Solwise give great tech backup and support.

Edited by Pebble

I got my 3G/4G omni and my wifi 'puck' antenna from www. connextech. co. uk but I have to say, the customer support from Solwise if so very much better.

+1 for Solwise. I use their Rocket antennae with the WiFi Repeater. Works great and we watch UK TV via internet in Spain with little disruption. A good VPN helps in this regard.