Battery Will Not Fit In Unicorn I I I

Russ-Stephens

It's not just underfloor battery boxes. I've got a 2014 Pursuit and two batteries 100 and 110 amps. One is shorter one taller than the other if you get my meaning and is a very tight fit indeed yet both fitted easily in previous 2006 Avondale. I'm guessing the battery boxes are proprietary components bought in so something has changed. Vehicle batteries have code numbers ie. 038 so you know which to buy,pity leisure batteries don't seem to

The Green Giant 110A battery I currently have fitted in my U3 Vigo came out of my 2009 Senator 6.

It was a snug fit in that 'van which was of the more conventional side wall mounted variety. So, 110A that fits the Senator - 5+ years later, the same battery also fits the Vigo. Go figure. ...

Edited by maplecottage

For once Bailey are not alone in this, I had it on a Sterling Europa - low height only. Alpha very helpful and cheaper than others!

I don't get how its baileys fault, there isn't a standard size battery so what are they suppose to do, make all the vans with massive battery boxes? then those with a small battery will moan about the box being to big!

I can only see that it would be baileys fault if the battery size was a predefined standard and then they made the box too small and

as been stated on here most have no problem with the battery fitting,

This world is going mad, when something goes wrong its always someone elses fault, sometimes its not and we can all help ourselves by doing a little bit of home work.

I don't get how its baileys fault, there isn't a standard size battery so what are they suppose to do, make all the vans with massive battery boxes? then those with a small battery will moan about the box being to big!

I can only see that it would be baileys fault if the battery size was a predefined standard and then they made the box too small and

as been stated on here most have no problem with the battery fitting,

This world is going mad, when something goes wrong its always someone elses fault, sometimes its not and we can all help ourselves by doing a little bit of home work.

:goodpost:

If the boxes either side or floor mounted were 25mm deeper I don't think there would be an issue. In case of the side mounted boxes someone has reduced the height. We've ascertained there is some small variation in battery sizes surely it would make sense to accommodate the longest/ widest/tallest dimensions. All the battery box maker has to do is to send someone to a few battery sellers with a notepad,pencil and ruler.

Why the hell don't caravan manufacturers provide caravans with batteries - you can't use it without one.

Would you buy a new car without a battery??!!

When you buy a new motorhome, the seperate leisure battery is included. So why not in a caravan?

It's a bit more

If the boxes either side or floor mounted were 25mm deeper I don't think there would be an issue. In case of the side mounted boxes someone has reduced the height. We've ascertained there is some small variation in battery sizes surely it would make sense to accommodate the longest/ widest/tallest dimensions. All the battery box maker has to do is to send someone to a few battery sellers with a notepad,pencil and ruler.

It would be nice if manufacturers provided a battery, but I do wonder if just making the box bigger and bigger is not as simple as it seems. Manufacturers have to factor into the spec a weight allowance for batteries. Making the boxes bigger so they can take ever bigger thus heavier batteries will have knock on effects to the published towing limits. False as these are they do effect peoples choice and sales. Soon people would be moaning that their new 150 amp battery would not fit. Even more so if you start factoring in double batteries, which personally I would love. As well as increased load allowance.

The false perceptions encouraged by the 85% advice only add to the problems. What Bailey and all the others should do is publish as part pf the Spec the largest battery that will fit. That is size of battery not amp rating.

Edited by Alan Stanley

Why the hell don't caravan manufacturers provide caravans with batteries - you can't use it without one.

When you buy a new motorhome, the seperate leisure battery is included. So why not in a caravan?

Well it obviously keeps the headline cost down but it also allows people choice. Some people fit motor movers that require more power from the battery, others have seasonal pitches and require less, some want lead acid and others gel. In my opinion, it's not really a one size fits all item.

They should fit Optima batteries, then they can fit them in any position or angle, even upside down (Now that would be a battery box) and suit the solar panel to a treat http://www. optima-battery. co. uk/

Edited by Gaz40

What we need is a basic caravan with an option list.

It works for the car industry, maybe have a Unicorn SE, Sport, etc.

It's a bit more

It would be nice if manufacturers provided a battery, but I do wonder if just making the box bigger and bigger is not as simple as it seems. Manufacturers have to factor into the spec a weight allowance for batteries. Making the boxes bigger so they can take ever bigger thus heavier batteries will have knock on effects to the published towing limits. False as these are they do effect peoples choice and sales. Soon people would be moaning that their new 150 amp battery would not fit. Even more so if you start factoring in double batteries, which personally I would love. As well as increased load allowance.

The false perceptions encouraged by the 85% advice only add to the problems. What Bailey and all the others should do is publish as part pf the Spec the largest battery that will fit. That is size of battery not amp rating.

The weight of the battery comes out of your load allowance. Most people seem happy with a110. amp battery which will weigh the same whatever shape it is. A battery box is just a vacumn forming costing pennies(unless you buy one as a spare part!) and weighing very little. How hard can it be to make it a bit deeper?

The weight of the battery comes out of your load allowance. Most people seem happy with a110. amp battery which will weigh the same whatever shape it is. A battery box is just a vacumn forming costing pennies(unless you buy one as a spare part!) and weighing very little. How hard can it be to make it a bit deeper?

Just hope the latest ones are a bit more than a vacuum formed tray hanging from the floor.

Hoped at least it would be strengthened with straps of some kind, so I don't have to do any battery dodging driving down the highway but I do inderstand fully what your saying.

What's the ground clearance of these boxes ?

Edited by Gaz40

Hoped at least it would be strengthened with straps of some kind. ...

Don't worry - it is . ..

What's the ground clearance of these boxes ?

Bottom of the battery box is higher off the ground than the spare wheel and the axle - job done.

Edited by maplecottage

Don't worry - it is . ..

Bottom of the battery box is higher off the ground than the spare wheel and the axle - job done.

What its strengthened with ?

Are! . ... That why you have to have recuced height battery's :)

What its strengthened with ?

2 x Aluminium straps, each about 2" wide, secured to underside of floor at both ends. I'm sure there is a picture on here somewhere.

Found it. ............... New Picture. bmp

Edited by maplecottage

I suppose we shouldn`t moan too much about an essential like a battery not being supplied, - after all, how long did it take manufacturers to supply a spare wheel. ?!!!

John

2 x Aluminium straps, each about 2" wide, secured to underside of floor at both ends. I'm sure there is a picture on here somewhere.

Found it. ............... attachicon.gifNew Picture. bmp

Lovely . .... I wont have to do any amp dodging on the highways. The box looks like polystyrene is it insulated, are the straps going around that.

There are enough battery types to suit the box, just as long as they fit solar panels to all the up and coming new model ranges that'll have the same size box in the same areas .

Where do they put the controller for the solar panel in the Unicorn?Must admit the truma 100watt is excellent. Makes the battery a fit and forget item.

Assuming it fits in the first place!

Where do they put the controller for the solar panel in the Unicorn?Must admit the truma 100watt is excellent. Makes the battery a fit and forget item.

Assuming it fits in the first place!

In the Madrid its in the high level cupboard next to the door

Solar Control

Edited by Birdingbilly

We've got one on our dealer special Pursuit and it's on the side wall of the cupboard by the door which looks much neater but makes it hard to see and adjust. Thanks for that I was going to look at the NEC but forgot.

In the Madrid its in the high level cupboard next to the door

gallery_44743_1650_552948.jpg

Same for the Vigo, just inside the door except the cupboard is above the fridge

Edited by maplecottage

I Have not actually measured it, just quoting Bailey. will do next time I visit dealers.

Has anyone actually physically measured yet please ?