Why Do People Mess You About?

LongTimeCaravaner

I see where you are coming from but to be honest the majority of the texts I received were just time wasting idiots(would I swap for a pig and 2 shekel type offers). If it was a reasonable text like " when is it good to call etc"I would be inclined to call them back but on the whole I state it in my advert no texts and if they can't read or follow basic instructions then more fool them. For the time it takes to text back and forth a couple of questions it would have been quicker to call.

Now I know why I part ex rather than trying to sell private, I just couldn't do with all the messing about. I find it much easier to do the deal and take mine in and pick up the new one. I don't mind selling small things private but cars and caravan is a Part exchange deal.

Edited by pagan
  • Like 3

Now I know why I part ex rather than trying to sell private, I just couldn't do with all the messing about. I find it much easier to do the deal and take mine in and pick up the new one. I don't mind selling small things private but cars and caravan is a Part exchange deal.

Yes better to lose a small margin on a trade-in than every penny to a fraudster!

• Like 2

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Yes better to lose a small margin on a trade-in than every penny to a fraudster!

Or somebody that comes to view with the sole intention of returning later to rob you.

• Like 1

Possibly only harming your own chances. A lot of the young ones are used to communicating this way. In their eyes it's a way of cutting through the early stages of any sale without the confrontation of verbal communication. It can work quite well and places you under no obligation.

Many use text or email as it avoids the "answer me now" situation - not just young ones ;)

Remember that a cleared cheque can 'bounce' up to 6 months after the deal.

I've put a few things for free on Gumtree. Without exception the first two contacts will ask the price!

What's the easiest way to catch out a trader, purporting to be a private seller - you ask them something that's clearly stated in the ad but not going to be the same if they have multiple ads, eg if the question "how much?" gets a response "which ad" you know you've got a trader.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Many use text or email as it avoids the "answer me now" situation - not just young ones ;)

What's the easiest way to catch out a trader, purporting to be a private seller - you ask them something that's clearly stated in the ad but not going to be the same if they have multiple ads, eg if the question "how much?" gets a response "which ad" you know you've got a trader.

Yes I agree, but then why not come to view having proved that I am a private sale as stated and all my answers just confirmed what I had put in the advert. This is what I just don't understand. One caller who said he was from Glasgow said it was a long way to come to look. Yes it is so why telephone?

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com