Mice In Caravan

Devils86

Up to the caravan for the weekend got here last night, when I opened one of the cupboards right at the front of the caravan I noticed loads of black bags had been chewed up and a packet of biscuits were all ripped up and eaten. I the removed the little panel at the front and found a hole had been chewed through on the internal wall ( see pic ). I have looked all over the caravan and there is no sign of mice or droppings, but I did open the front box and there was a mouse running around in there, so it seems they are getting in through the front, any one know how to stop then getting in ?

post-65961-0-07225900-1417271150_thumb.jpg

Edited by Devils86

Up to the caravan for the weekend got here last night, when I opened one of the cupboards right at the front of the caravan I noticed loads of black bags had been chewed up and a packet of biscuits were all ripped up and eaten. I the removed the little panel at the front and found a hole had been chewed through on the internal wall ( see pic ). I have looked all over the caravan and there is no sign of mice or droppings, but I did open the front box and there was a mouse running around in there, so it seems they are getting in through the front, any one know how to stop then getting in ?

Get a few mousetraps baited with chocolate to get rid of them, I run a circle of neat Jeyes fluid round each leg and the wheels, make sure all holes on the underside have mesh on them, I've used stainless mesh similar in density to a cooking sieve. Remove all food, job done

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

I had mice in one of my old caravans at the end of 2009. I was finding droppings but no mice. They were getting in at the wheel arch so I kept laying traps and caught a couple of balls of fluff! They were tiny!

I thought i'd emptied everything out before the site closed but no, I went in a drawer and there was still a bag of dry dog food - where they were all breeding! Found about 4 tiny mice with no fur on! I got my Husband and mate to shift them whilst I cleaned it.

Thankfully no damage done just a bit mess to clean and a tiny wire for the fridge to sort.

To keep them out apart from the traps we had kittens at the time that weren't allowed out so took up some lightly used cat litter and chucked it under the caravan. I also heard they hate the smell of mint and put some mint essence down and as said good old Jeys fluid. Seemed a waste buying Jeys just to pour it about but it works!

Then just this year I forgot i'd stupidly put bird nuts in the front locker after filling up the feeder only to go up the following week, went to fill up te feeder and the nuts were gone! And just a ripped bag left. Thankfully again they hadn't got in the caravan. It could also have been squirrel as where we are there's red squirrels where we have the caravan so could've been worse!

Compass Shadow 1988

We had a mouse problem a while back.

I now work on the basis that they will get in and set traps every time I leave it now, 7 of them!

Would not sleep at night if I thought the neck breakers were not on guard.

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare if the truth be known ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

I keep a spray full of Jeyes flue up at our store age site, so each time we return there I spray the steadies, round the wheels and the jockey wheel.

Had mice once and do not want them again!

• Like 1

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

I use jays on a regular basis to sterilise the hen houses and it doesn't bother the mice :(

As for traps, peanut butter is the best bait but chocolate takes some licking, so much so that you can often get two mice at once as they try to chew it off :)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Hi,

Stainless steel pan scrubs for blocking up holes and a ultra sonic pest scarer ( Ebay )

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

. ...... so much so that you can often get two mice at once as they try to chew it off :)

Not managed that yet but working on it!!

Nowt like going on a trap inspection and finding one triggered by one of those meeces with the old 14 gauge wire the back of its neck with that surprised look on its face and eyes sticking outlike a couple of little organ stops. ;)

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare if the truth be known ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

My neighbour last week had mice in his front lockers set some traps and went to bed 3. 30 his wife woke to some noise in the locker. She took the yorkie and herself into the rear bathroom. He went to the locker and sure enough a mouse was in the trap but not dead. Lifted the trap and the mouse shot out running into the rear bathroom. The wife screaming ran out of the van. Missed it I was spark out.

• Like 1

Lunar Delta RS, Ford Explorer. Ford Ranger

Moth balls. .................................

The light at the end of the tunnel has been switched off.

I use jays on a regular basis to sterilise the hen houses and it doesn't bother the mice :(

As for traps, peanut butter is the best bait but chocolate takes some licking, so much so that you can often get two mice at once as they try to chew it off :)

Using members of the crow family for that purpose, is not really recommended! ;)

Sam :beardy:

Range Rover Sport - Auto Sleepers Kensington

Not just caravans the Wee Monsters destroy. ... Brother in Law's much prized classic SK8 Jaguar had his wiring loom destroyed after a family nesting in the bonnet lining . ... All sorts of warning lights on . .... I said I would look after it for him. ..

GAS . ...... :angry:

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

Not just caravans the Wee Monsters destroy. ... Brother in Law's much prized classic SK8 Jaguar had his wiring loom destroyed after a family nesting in the bonnet lining . ... All sorts of warning lights on . .... I said I would look after it for him. ..

GAS . ...... :angry:

​Ah ! - do you mean to say you finally found out what the problem was---------------

My neighbour last week had mice in his front lockers set some traps and went to bed 3. 30 his wife woke to some noise in the locker. She took the yorkie and herself into the rear bathroom. He went to the locker and sure enough a mouse was in the trap but not dead. Lifted the trap and the mouse shot out running into the rear bathroom. The wife screaming ran out of the van. Missed it I was spark out.

Its posted in this thread to use chocolate for bait but a whole Yorkie bar, bit much. ...............

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

I find that chocolate is no good on account of me eating it all on the way to storage. I might try peanut butter next time, but I like that too, and marmite and cheese. Neck breakers it is then, using Griffs eloquent terminology.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies, I used Jayes fluid and I filled the hole they chewed through behind the panel with expanding foam I'm not sure if the foam will work but hope it works until the next time I go there I also put 2 traps with chocolate in the front box and have yet to be activated. At the moment I think the nice have gone, the bloke in the caravan next to mine who is staying on the site for a while showed me his jacket Which was chewed to bits and he has been catching mice every night, he also told me a bloke on the site with a motor home has had mice chewing his electrics, it seems like a major problem :0(

Mice -- insignificant! We have just had RATS break into ours (the two-legged variety) whilst In storage and yet to see what damage they have done. Thieving b******s I wish I could find a neck-breaker for them!

Alan

Edited by a13est
  • Like 1

Moth balls. .................................

Didn't know that moths had them!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just found mice in the front locker, little blighters, I have mothball all over the van including the front lockers, seemed to have no affect. They have eaten all my Camping & Caravanning pennants which I have collected over the last 25 years so it's not just food their after but bedding,somebody recommended expanding foam, anymore details please, give Jeyes fluid a try.

Swift Fairway pulled by a Ford Mondeo 2. 0 Business Edition 5 door hatchback

Adventure before Dementia

• 5 weeks later...

E have them at the moment and will try a few things here.

Steel wool was recommended so we have that all over the place in nooks and crannies they could be using to move about.

It was our own fault as we left a packet of Potatoes and dog food on the bottom of a cupboard intending to go away next weekend and never managed it. 3 weeks later we went to go away and instead spent the day gutting the van and washing everything.

We go out every 2 weeks now but they were still about. droppings everywhere. We used the grain bait blocks but they seem to have devoured all of them.

if the steel wool hasnt worked we are going for traps that kill.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2015 BMW 330d Touring Xdrive pulling A 2014 Bailey Unicorn S2 Cadiz

It was the traps in the end that worked for us. Little . ...... you know what's!!

Compass Shadow 1988

i ordered 6 of the traps from fleabay.

goign out on Saturday with chocolate covered in peanutbutter to kill them all

• Like 1

wee update.

the steel wool seems to have kept them from entering the caravan. no new evidence of them in there.

Will put donw a pile of traps but not any bait. if they have gone would rather they stay gone

I don't use traps as I don't want to encourage them in. I keep all steadys up and spray Jeyes over wheels and jockey wheel. Stainless mesh and wire wool in holes underneath. Bleach down all internal surfaces and floor to remove scent to stop their trail.