Sign in to follow this  
nme2no1

Towing A Big Hobby

I know legally the big ones should be towed by a commercial vehicle, do any of you tow with the likes of an ordinary 4 x 4 (eg Touareg, q7 etc), if so, have you had any hassles from the authorities?

Thinking of getting one, great vans, good quality and all of that space!

Phone your car insurance and ask but be prepared for them to cancel your car insurance .

You will get a tug if seen . Travellers use these large Hobby caravans but you will see they only put the large caravans behind tippers and the smaller twins behind their 4x4 s .

Not all sites like the big German caravans .

Dave

Am I interpreting this correctly. ....

'I know it is against the law, but is it alright if I break the law just a bit?'

• Like 1

I know legally the big ones should be towed by a commercial vehicle, do any of you tow with the likes of an ordinary 4 x 4 (eg Touareg, q7 etc), if so, have you had any hassles from the authorities?

I would hope that Caravan Talk members would not flout the law and take chances with outfits that are known to be illegal. Any that knowingly use illegal outfits, quite frankly deserve all that is meted out to them.

I have owned a number of large outfits, all towed with 4x4s, but they have all been perfectly legal and I hope nobody here would advocate the use of "normal" 4x4s for towing caravans that should only be towed by larger (often commercial) vehicles.

Remember if your towing vehicle is less than 3500Kgs GVW then the maximum size of trailer / caravan you can tow with it, is 7 metres body length (excluding the drawbar / A-frame), and 2. 55 metres body width. It makes no difference how many wheels it has.

If your towing vehicle is greater than 3500Kgs GVW, then the maximum trailer dimensions are 12 metres in length (excluding drawbar / A-frame) and 2. 55 metres in width, providing it has at least 4 wheels, and the overall outfit length does not exceed 18 metres. Trailer of these dimensions are permitted under certain circumstances to have a rear overhanging load up to 3. 05 metres.

I hope this is helpful to anyone who may be tempted to tow caravans exceeding 7 metres by 2. 55 metres in the UK with a "normal" towcar.

Gordon.

To break the law in such a deliberate and visible way is asking for trouble as lots of people would be irritated when they see your outfit. If you were stopped by plod, you would not be permitted to continue your journey!

'I know it is against the law, but is it alright if I break the law just a bit?'

Never.

Gordon

To break the law in such a deliberate and visible way is asking for trouble as lots of people would be irritated when they see your outfit. If you were stopped by plod, you would not be permitted to continue your journey!

Whilst not condoning breaking the law it is a fact that there are hundreds of over-length caravans being towed in the UK and very few are reported as having been been stopped because of it. . It is now more likely that DVSA will do the stopping but these outfits are likely to be on the bottom on their list of "to do's". There will be far more "legal" outfits that are not conforming to other regulations, and especially. , overloading, which could be considered far more dangerous

The UK is the only European country that has a 7 metre body length restriction as all but two of the others permit 12 metre body lengths so to plead safety as a reason is not really justified. In fact, the UK did consider increasing the length limit when the width was under consideration but decided that there was insufficient demand and not that it was a road safety matter. There are only three Hobby models exceeding 7m body length and the longest is 8. 3m so perhaps the reasoning for retaining 7m in the UK was appropriate?

• Like 1

Phone your car insurance and ask but be prepared for them to cancel your car insurance .

Dave

That's rather misleading. Car insurers do not require to be advised that the car will be used for towing although declaring a towbar as a modification could create a presumption.

A claim involving an oversized trailer may invalidate a claim for damage to the car but could not preclude a third party claim by others.

Motorists act illegally every day without invalidating their comprehensive insurance. Towing an oversize trailer is no different.

• I agree completely 1

That's rather misleading. Car insurers do not require to be advised that the car will be used for towing although declaring a towbar as a modification could create a presumption.

A claim involving an oversized trailer may invalidate a claim for damage to the car but could not preclude a third party claim by others.

Motorists act illegally every day without invalidating their comprehensive insurance. Towing an oversize trailer is no different.

It was posted on here a couple of years ago that someone phoned and said he was was enquiring about towing a caravan over 7 m and his insurance company informed him his insurance was being immediately cancelled.

Dave

I'm simply asking the question are the authorities interested in them? What about Germans touring the uk does the law give them an exemption? I used to tow with a sprinter, I can go back to doing that again but I'm interested to hear if anyone does bend the rules, just like the people that speed, drive while tired etc etc. if you wish to lecture me about the rights and wrongs, save your bandwidth I'll listen to people that are answering my question, the rest of you I already know the law and the possible implications - thank you, it's the width rather than extended length that I'm interested in.

Edited by nme2no1

Lots of answers here, mostly quite negative, but you haven't said how big is the van you are looking at.

I'm simply asking the question are the authorities interested in them? What about Germans touring the uk does the law give them an exemption? I used to tow with a sprinter, I can go back to doing that again but I'm interested to hear if anyone does bend the rules, just like the people that speed, drive while tired etc etc. if you wish to lecture me about the rights and wrongs, save your bandwidth I'll listen to people that are answering my question, the rest of you I already know the law and the possible implications - thank you, it's the width rather than extended length that I'm interested in.

605 posts. Surely youve figured it out by now. Everybody on here is perfect, nobody on here ( apart from me apparently ) has ever speeded, has ever driven " the morning after" or violated any traffic regulation in any way. Likewise they all have perfect children, perfect dogs, and perfect manners at all times and therefore reserve the right to lecture. :D

• Like 6

It was posted on here a couple of years ago that someone phoned and said he was was enquiring about towing a caravan over 7 m and his insurance company informed him his insurance was being immediately cancelled.

Dave

Why on earth would a policy be cancelled for asking a question, that sounds ridiculous to me, it's like asking, can I fit alloy wheels? Sorry policy cancelled.

• Haha 1

605 posts. Surely youve figured it out by now. Everybody on here is perfect, nobody on here ( apart from me apparently ) has ever speeded, has ever driven " the morning after" or violated any traffic regulation in any way. Likewise they all have perfect children, perfect dogs, and perfect manners at all times and therefore reserve the right to lecture. :D

Is all of that whilst towing a big hobby?

Lots of answers here, mostly quite negative, but you haven't said how big is the van you are looking at.

I suppose 7 metres but as wide as they go.

Is all of that whilst towing a big hobby?

Perish the thought. :ph34r:

If you are looking at 7m in length and no more than 2. 55m in width, then it's legal to tow with a car, as long as the weights ok.

. . . but you haven't said how big is the van you are looking at.

I suppose 7 metres but as wide as they go.

I'm now left wondering why there would be any "hassles from the authorities" if you are proposing to tow a perfectly legal 7 metre length by (up to) 2. 55 metre width :unsure: although I infer from your first post that you were considering something longer.

I am not aware of any Hobby caravans that exceed 2. 5 metres in width, even those around the 9 metre length.

As far as I am aware, while Hobbys are well built caravans, the only problem is that some sites prefer not to accept them. I have friends with a Hobby, and while they get a few rejections, most sites will accept them once they realise they're just an ordinary family with kids who will leave when they say.

I thought some of them had width issues moving them into the commercial vehicle tug requirements.

Anyway, not a problem, I sought advice elsewhere and got the sort of information I was seeking.

Thanks everyone.

• Like 1

Why on earth would a policy be cancelled for asking a question, that sounds ridiculous to me, it's like asking, can I fit alloy wheels? Sorry policy cancelled.

The insurance company legally have to cover the caravan with third party liability even if it is over 7m and being illegally towed.

They are saying they are not taking the risk by canceling the insurance before you possibly cause thousands of pounds damage they have got to pay out.

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

The above is perfectly correct as does the insurance company cancel your policy because you got caught speeding? After all their only interest is in the car and not the trailer.

The above is perfectly correct as does the insurance company cancel your policy because you got caught speeding? After all their only interest is in the car and not the trailer.

Any trailer on the road has to be insured this is done by the car insurance covering the trailer with third party liability.

An insurance company is interested as they will have to pay out for any damage caused by a oversize trailer.

Dave

The OP asks a Forum for an opinion, leaving out some detail. Several differing opinions given based on an element of presumption. A bitchy response to any opinion that is not favourable. By standing nit pickers grab the opportunity to catch out any errors. OP advises he got the answer he wanted elsewhere. Great stuff.

• Like 1
  • I agree completely 1

The OP asks a Forum for an opinion, leaving out some detail. Several differing opinions given based on an element of presumption. A bitchy response to any opinion that is not favourable. By standing nit pickers grab the opportunity to catch out any errors. OP advises he got the answer he wanted elsewhere. Great stuff.

But confused what presumptions?

Dave

I'm simply asking the question are the authorities interested in them? What about Germans touring the uk does the law give them an exemption?

Despite myth there is no exemption for foreign vehicles entering the UK. However, it is reputed that such vehicles are tolerated.

Edit; Found the details in my library.

International Convention relative to Motor Traffic, Directive 96/53/EC, Annex I, provides visiting vehicles with an exemption from the construction, equipment and maintenance of vehicle requirements specified in Part II of Construction and Use Regs but not from the requirements for Regulations 7, 8, and 10, which relate to length, width and height respectively.

This regulation applies to vehicles over 3500kg GVW so would not apply to a caravan.

Edited by beejay

Despite myth there is no exemption for foreign vehicles entering the UK. However, it is reputed that such vehicles are tolerated.

Edit; Found the details in my library.

International Convention relative to Motor Traffic, Directive 96/53/EC, Annex I, provides visiting vehicles with an exemption from the construction, equipment and maintenance of vehicle requirements specified in Part II of Construction and Use Regs but not from the requirements for Regulations 7, 8, and 10, which relate to length, width and height respectively.

This regulation applies to vehicles over 3500kg GVW so would not apply to a caravan.

Thanks for that beejay, good to see we really are harmonising with Europe!