Sign in to follow this  
bmwbrooks

Lorry Speed Increase

Speed limit for lorries to increase from 6 April 2015 to 60 mph on dual carriage and motorways

that should be fun trying to overtake one while towing

https://www. gov. uk/government/news/hgv-changes-to-give-fairer-deal-for-hauliers

It is of course already 60 on motorways for HGVs - this announcement is in addition to the single carriageway NSL increase from 40 to 50mph for HGVs.

that should be fun trying to overtake one while towing

You can't - they'll have the same speed limit !

• Like 2

https://www. gov. uk/government/news/hgv-changes-to-give-fairer-deal-for-hauliers

It is of course already 60 on motorways for HGVs - this announcement is in addition to the single carriageway NSL increase from 40 to 50mph for HGVs.

You can't - they'll have the same speed limit !

as a retired lorry driver i see their point of raising the limit as to towing i just keep out of there way and just plod on at 55 i am in no rush

• Like 2

Good news. I predominantly travel on rural roads on my commute, better to be behind one at 50 than 40mph.

• Like 2

Don't forget it won't apply in Scotland or Northern Ireland.

You have to remember LGV's are fitted with speed limiters set at 56mph.

John

You have to remember LGV's are fitted with speed limiters set at 56mph.

John

But they're legally allowed to exceed that currently on motorways, eg downhill - as most, but not all, limiters just control the throttle, but don't apply brakes to an overspeed.

But they're legally allowed to exceed that currently on motorways, eg downhill - as most, but not all, limiters just control the throttle, but don't apply brakes to an overspeed.

I see that many HGV's hold their speed back downhill anyway as I tend to do when towing.

It could be a good thing and maybe it'll stop people who tow (caravans etc) from passing lorries who are traveling at 56mph on downhill stretches.

Although I can't see it.

I can see this being a total disaster---speed limiters reset to 60 and lorries not being able to pass vans/ horse boxes etc who travel at around 55mph. So what will happen is that lorries will pull out into the overtaking lane and take a month of Sundays to complete the overtaking manoeuver, as already happens, which causes long tailbacks of frustrated car drivers.

I can see this being a total disaster---speed limiters reset to 60 and lorries not being able to pass vans/ horse boxes etc who travel at around 55mph. So what will happen is that lorries will pull out into the overtaking lane and take a month of Sundays to complete the overtaking manoeuver, as already happens, which causes long tailbacks of frustrated car drivers.

Speed limiters won't be reset to 60 - the 56 mph is set by the EU - no, it won't alter the "elephant racing" but won't make it worse.

Realistically you won't notice any difference. As other have said, the stabilised speed will continue to be set at 90kph. Many LGV drivers already run (albeit illegally) at this speed on duel carriageways in the belief that police forces allow 10% plus 3mph above the limit before they prosecute.

I was told that in older speed limiters it was quite common to allow a lorry to free wheel down hill to a speed above that set by the limiter. The driver would then engage gear and and it would disable the device until it was replaced thus allowing them to drive faster when wanted. Maybe some of the older truckers would know about this.

Realistically you won't notice any difference. As other have said, the stabilised speed will continue to be set at 90kph. Many LGV drivers already run (albeit illegally) at this speed on duel carriageways in the belief that police forces allow 10% plus 3mph above the limit before they prosecute.

ACPO guidelines are not to prosecute at 10% +1mph and to prosecute at 10% +2mph - but they are only guidelines, not all police forces adopt them and those that do don't use them all the time.

But under the old/current HGV limit on dual carriageways (not motorways) their 50mph limit would only be prosecuted at 57mph or higher under the ACPO guidelines.

When towing on a motorway, I usually find an HGV travelling at 56mph and drop in behind him/her. If we reach a hill and they start to struggle, I've got enough power to overtake.

• Like 3

Many of the big transport companies track the vehicles to make sure they obey the speed limits,that's why they do 40mph on single carriageways.

John

Many of the big transport companies track the vehicles to make sure they obey the speed limits,that's why they do 40mph on single carriageways.

John

In Scotland, where they have a 50mph trial for HGVs on the single carriageway A9 between Perth and Inverness, they've asked hauliers NOT to apply a 40mph policy during that trial. It's a difficult ask when some hauliers operate at lower speeds to reduce fuel costs.

Will a certain supermarket chain still limit their haulliers to 50

as a retired lorry driver i see their point of raising the limit as to towing i just keep out of there way and just plod on at 55 i am in no rush

Im with you there fender. Any faster, you can see the fuel gauge moving. our motor is quite capable of 60 and we are running at about 56%, but like you we aint in any rush.

I was told that in older speed limiters it was quite common to allow a lorry to free wheel down hill to a speed above that set by the limiter. The driver would then engage gear and and it would disable the device until it was replaced thus allowing them to drive faster when wanted. Maybe some of the older truckers would know about this.

I fitted and repaired RSL's from long before they were a legal requirement and have seen them develop from crude mechanical devices to the present ECU controls which are highly accurate and effective but have never heard of this. I would be intrigued to know what sort of RSL was fitted to allow this to happen.

At this point in time, the only change is the Scottish A9 trial increase from 40>50 on single carriageway - the 50 dual carriageway and 60 motorway are unchanged.

It'll be interesting to see if they alter their internal policy for the increase next April in England & Wales - HA only announced this on Friday so no time for official company responses yet.

It's not only supermarkets. Quite a lot of haulage companies have had their RSL's reset to 85 kph for fuel economy reasons.

Speed limit for lorries to increase from 6 April 2015 to 60 mph on dual carriage and motorways

PROPOSED increases. Let's hope there are no set backs. .............. such as a General Election!

The speed limit increases for HGVs will be implemented via a change in the law to be put to Parliament during the next few months, with implementation scheduled for 6 April 2015. The existing limits continue to apply until the change has been put into effect.

How appropriate! :rolleyes:

Whoops :blush::blush:

Sign in to follow this