What To Tow With Next

Are you sure that's it's ok with 2000kg? I would have thought it was a bit light for that

It "can" tow 2000kg's - dosen't mean you "should" tow 2000kg's!

the 1450kg Skoda Yeti 170 TDi "can" tow 2100kg's - but i wouldn't want to hook my 1800kg Hobby to it!

Edited by ADG
  • Like 1

Al.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

These threads are pointless - they just turn into a feast of people putting their favorite brand forward.

Ooops,   Just bought a 2 year old Toureg. Hope iv'e done the right thing.

Im not going to suggest a towcar for you but If I may, Id suggest you modiy your driving style. Small modifications can extend the life of brake pads by huge amounts and the life of tyres by signifi

Hi Charlie,

You still at Kings Lynn Models? If so I might be coming to see you soon for a sebart katana and all the gear, I'll bring my Touareg and you can have a go if you like, superb car. Mines not new though 2006 but it looks and drives as if it is. What sort of budget have you got for your tug.

Regards to stueysheep

Hi,

Sorry, we obviously know each other but i haven't got a clue who you are!!!

I don't actually work at KlMS but i help out in many behind the scenes ways, including tea boy.

Let me know when your going and i'll be there and get the kettle on.

I have a mate here who has offered me his 2 year old Toureg for a play. Its about the age of car i would be looking at.

I also like the look of but know nothing about an XF Sportbrake or a 5 Series BMW Estate.

Charlie

Hi,

Sorry, we obviously know each other but i haven't got a clue who you are!!!

I don't actually work at KlMS but i help out in many behind the scenes ways, including tea boy.

Let me know when your going and i'll be there and get the kettle on.

I have a mate here who has offered me his 2 year old Toureg for a play. Its about the age of car i would be looking at.

I also like the look of but know nothing about an XF Sportbrake or a 5 Series BMW Estate.

Charlie

Just be warned Charlie, once you've driven the Touareg there won't be any going back!

Suggest you go on mytreg. com, lots of good info on there, buying guide, engine choices etc, good crack, good set of guys and great banter.

• Like 2

I'm going to get a Mazda CX-5, next year. It tows 2000kg, has 4wd, and costs around £25000. Diesel economy is aroúnd 50mpg, I don't know towing economy but I would imagine about 30.

Next years model will see some enhancements, its certainly the best time to buy as all the bugs should be now sorted.

solo I usually see around 42/43 mpg locally less on the motorway, but up to a best of 55mpg on A and B roads. If a DPF burn takes place on route it destroys the economy.

Towing 1565kg I've had a one of at 34mpg, but usually its 24 to 29mpg.

All computer averages, so brim to brim is usually around 1mpg less.

So don't build your hopes up.

I would probably tow up to 1650kg with it but certainly not over the kerb weight.

For my model the KW has increased with each addition of equipment.

The 2000kg tow limit is for a trailer with brakes, not a caravan.

Edited by xtrailman

Just be warned Charlie, once you've driven the Touareg there won't be any going back!

Suggest you go on mytreg. com, lots of good info on there, buying guide, engine choices etc, good crack, good set of guys and great banter.

Already been informed by the rest of the family that this ones a keeper!

"The 2000kg tow limit is for a trailer with brakes, not a caravan."

Not trying to start an argument, but isn't a caravan just a trailer with brakes?

Mike

Edited by Townie

2014 SsangYong Rexton W towing a 2017 Sprite Major 4EB. (After June 9th).

"The 2000kg tow limit is for a trailer with brakes, not a caravan."

Not trying to start an argument, but isn't a caravan just a trailer with brakes?

Mike

Technically it probably is.

But a caravan is also a trailer fitted with a large fixed sail. :)

• Like 2

I currently tow with a Citroen C6, which weighs 1900kg unladen. It can tow, according to the handbook, 1600kg, but according to the plate on the "B" post, 1390kg. It has the same gearbox as the 3 litre car, which tows 1650kg.

My car has 173bhp, and the torque is 295ft/lbs.

Carlight is a featherweight now, 1050kg.

I want a larger van, looking at one MTPLM 1550kg. The Mazda can tow this, up to 2000kg. This car has 150bhp, and torque of 270ft/lbs. I, for one, would not like to go over the car's weight of 1600kg, but until someone somewhere gets their ducks in a row, I can only go on the car's plated weight.

And by the way, I passed my test in April 1974. .... :rolleyes:

I currently tow with a Citroen C6, which weighs 1900kg unladen. It can tow, according to the handbook, 1600kg, but according to the plate on the "B" post, 1390kg. It has the same gearbox as the 3 litre car, which tows 1650kg.

My car has 173bhp, and the torque is 295ft/lbs.

Carlight is a featherweight now, 1050kg.

I want a larger van, looking at one MTPLM 1550kg. The Mazda can tow this, up to 2000kg. This car has 150bhp, and torque of 270ft/lbs. I, for one, would not like to go over the car's weight of 1600kg, but until someone somewhere gets their ducks in a row, I can only go on the car's plated weight.

And by the way, I passed my test in April 1974. .... :rolleyes:

The 150ps(148bhp) model did have 280 pound feet. :)

I tow with a Disco4 - get 30 mpg solo and 22 towing, tyres will last approx. 25000 miles and new ones are about £150. 00 each fitted and balanced.

Not a cheap car to buy but so far after 4 years of ownership it has not cost me a penny in repairs nor has it let me down once and this year it has had to work bloody hard as we have spent four months in Germany sorting out my late mother-in-law's estate which has required commuting from London to Munich and then from Munich to Magdeburg and Hanover in northern Germany carrying huge amounts of ''apartment clearance'' goods and here the Disco excels as with all seats down it is almost as big as a Transit !! :D

Please let us not get into a ''hate Land Rover'' scenario :wub:

Discovery 4 XS SDV6 and Airstream 532 plus 1996 MGF owned since new.

Please let us not get into a ''hate Land Rover'' scenario :wub:

I think the disco's from 3 onwards are brilliant and it would have been high on my hit list until I was told the engine was a Peugot - Citreon development, that made it fall down the list a long way. I had a few trips in Friends disco 3, I couldn't believe it was a diesel, the performance and noise levels were amazing. That said whilst I haven't looked at a disco 4, the 3 seemed a little behind the competition in the interior stakes, to me it looked like bits stuck on.

Disco 3 & 4 are great cars I'm sure and a very capable tug, one to be considered, my earlier remark was simply a little banter, tongue in cheek from someone who drives a VW toe rag!

Edited by nme2no1

. ............ the Disco excels as with all seats down it is almost as big as a Transit !! :D

:goodpost:

I've just collected 405 kg's of laminated flooring from the reseller - chucked it all in the back, didn't know it was there :D:D:D

Choosing a different towcar is frustratingly difficult. We lost our Volvo last May and had we not been loaned a Discovery we would have never considered one. And that's the point. ..unless we actually get a chance to TOW with a car of your choice, you are reliant on other people's opinions. It's a great shame that dealers or someone?? dont have a range of demo cars with towbars and 'allow' test tow drives with your caravan.

Edited by ericfield
  • Like 1

:goodpost:

I've just collected 405 kg's of laminated flooring from the reseller - chucked it all in the back, didn't know it was there :D:D:D

5th gear did a test of a Touareg towing a Boeing 747, under advice from VW they added ballast in the back. ...... 4. 5 tonnes!

There is the clip on youtube, it look amazing.

Got to say my touareg just keeps on amazing me. Did well over 500 miles towing yesterday albeit a car trailer and cars. Nearly 11 hours and still felt good. Managed an average of 24 mpg and that was with over 2 ton on the back for 400 miles.

Got to say the tax is a disappointment but you know what. ....

Wouldn't swap it!

• Like 1

Got to say my touareg just keeps on amazing me. Did well over 500 miles towing yesterday albeit a car trailer and cars. Nearly 11 hours and still felt good. Managed an average of 24 mpg and that was with over 2 ton on the back for 400 miles.

Got to say the tax is a disappointment but you know what. ....

Wouldn't swap it!

I have yet to tow with mine but at the end of my current offshore trip. .................

Another vote for Touareg here. Just done 2000 miles + towing 1650 kg caravan through Portugal and Spain. .Totally stable,amazing power,loads of space and extremely comfortable.

I had absolutely no intention of buying one until I drove a friend's. After that I just had to have one!

You need to test drive.

5th gear did a test of a Touareg towing a Boeing 747, under advice from VW they added ballast in the back. ...... 4. 5 tonnes!

There is the clip on youtube, it look amazing.

And michelin said, do not exceed 20 mph or the tyres may explode ! Not real is it :ph34r:

• 1 month later...

I'm going to get a Mazda CX-5, next year. It tows 2000kg, has 4wd, and costs around £25000. Diesel economy is aroúnd 50mpg, I don't know towing economy but I would imagine about 30.

You mean it has a TL of 2000kg. Have you checked it's KW??

David.

Supatramp, I've now got a Lunar Clubman SI with a MTPLM of 1450kg, so it should be within the limit. ....my point is still valid, though- if the car is able to tow 2 tonnes, even if it weighs 1650kg, can the law reasonably stop it and give a different limit?

Supatramp, I've now got a Lunar Clubman SI with a MTPLM of 1450kg, so it should be within the limit. ....my point is still valid, though- if the car is able to tow 2 tonnes, even if it weighs 1650kg, can the law reasonably stop it and give a different limit?

My 2013 175ps CX-5 Sport AWD weights 1663kg, the 2014 model is heavier still.

There should be some good deals on this model because the 2015 model due around April is getting some worth while updates.

Personally I would pay a bit more and buy the latest spec.

http://www. whatcar. com/car-news/2015-mazda-cx-5-face-lift/1322650