Service Time... Bailey Dealer Or Ncc Approved Mobile Engineer ?

richrimmo

Hi guys,

I've just recently purchased a 2012 bailey Olympus 530/4. We are the second owners and I've just transferred the warrant over into my name (£35 transfer fee ??? Really Bailey ??)

Anyway it's too far to take it to the supplying dealers for service so I was wondering if I can use an NCC approved mobile fitter and keep my warrant valid ?

Has anyone done this and had any problems when it's time to get repairs done ?

My local Bailey dealer wants £220 but I don't know anyone who has a good word for them. A local NCC approved guy wants £150 and will do it at my home which is very convenient.

I'm not so much bothered about cost but convenience and keeping my warranty valid is very important.

Can anyone recommend any mobile fitters in the Hull, East Yorkshire area ?

Regards

Rich.

The best place to start would be the Approved Workshop website & search for potential companies in your area. ...

http://www. approvedworkshops. co. uk/approved-touring-caravan-motorhome-servicing

Thanks but do you know if it would invalidate my warranty or would it be ok ?

It's common practise to use an AWS mobile engineer for annual servicing and provided he is 'approved' by the manufacturer and he sends a copy of the report to them as proof the service was done, it should be ok.

The problem comes when you need warranty work. Many/ most? mobile engineers are either unprepared to do warranty work or not authorised by the manufacturer to do this work.

Edited by ericfield

We were told by our Bailey dealer that anyone can service the caravan that is NCC registered and it will not effect the warrantee as long as the service intervals are adhered to . ... BUT . ..... Only Bailey approved workshops can carry out warrantee work.

I was rather relieved at that as our old van I was forced to use a mobile NCC approved I just simply could not get it to the dealer so decided that it was better to service it than not . ... My sister in law has that van now, upon buying our new van I asked the dealer and his reply was as above. I must say I found the mobile guy serviced the van far better in many ways than two different previous main dealer.

I won't give you his details as I guess he won't travel from South Wales up to you !!!

We were told by our Bailey dealer that anyone can service the caravan that is NCC registered and it will not effect the warrantee as long as the service intervals are adhered to . ... BUT . ..... Only Bailey approved workshops can carry out warrantee work.

I was rather relieved at that as our old van I was forced to use a mobile NCC approved I just simply could not get it to the dealer so decided that it was better to service it than not . ... My sister in law has that van now, upon buying our new van I asked the dealer and his reply was as above. I must say I found the mobile guy serviced the van far better in many ways than two different previous main dealer.

I won't give you his details as I guess he won't travel from South Wales up to you !!!

Just to clarify if a company is just NCC registered your warranty WILL NOT remain intact. .... They must be a member of the APPROVED WORKSHOP scheme.

If you use a mobile AWS then make sure he performs the correct damp check for your Bailey. There should be full reading of the whole floor and front lockers (with plastic trays removed as they cannot be tested with the trays in). Its all very well saving yourself money at this point but if any ingress gets missed then will be more hassle getting it sorted in the long term.

I used a AWS man for my last service and saw what he did.

I'm happy with the job saving a gallon of fuel hassle, and saved around £40 to £50 pound.

As a bonus he is gas safe registered .

With the two dealer services I had a lot of warranty work but paid too much IMO for the same service job, I assume they serviced it, as you never actually get to see inside the service bay to check.

Oh and I also got the sticker on the A frame to make it official :)

Edited by xtrailman

Being a bit cynical, I marked the position of the wheel bolts when I last took my van for service. On collection I could see that at least they took the wheels off!

The guy I'm thinking of using says he is authorised to do warranty work on most of the appliances etc fitted to my van if any require any repairs.

Here is the reply I have received from baily today-

Dear Rich

Thank you for your email

Providing they are NCC workshop approved you are able to use them for servicing of your caravan.

If you would like me to confirm for peace of mind please could you provide me with their details?

I will check this against the NCC database and advise you further.

Kind Regards

Chantelle Kimmins

Customer Service Co-Ordinator

Bailey of Bristol

South Liberty Lane, Bristol, BS3 2SS

www. baileyofbristol. co. uk

Edited by richrimmo

If you use a mobile AWS then make sure he performs the correct damp check for your Bailey. There should be full reading of the whole floor and front lockers (with plastic trays removed as they cannot be tested with the trays in). Its all very well saving yourself money at this point but if any ingress gets missed then will be more hassle getting it sorted in the long term.

I think you may find it was the mobile service companies that didn't stop doing a damp check. And all members of the Approved Workshop scheme should have the correct tools to check for damp without the need to remove the plastic trays.

Just got this back from Bailey-

Dear Rich

Thank you for your email

I can confirm Adams Tourer Services are NCC workshop approved.

You are able to use this company for the servicing of your caravan keeping inline with your warranty agreement.

Please be aware that should any warranty work be required you would need to contact your purchasing retailer.

Kind Regards

Chantelle Kimmins

Customer Service Co-Ordinator

Hi Richrimmo - I purchased my Bailey new from a dealership in Oct 2012 and haven't been back since.

I use a mobile service engineer who is Bailey and Swift registered and get a far better deal from him.

I am able to stay with him while he does the service and he is happy to explain everything he does.

I have also had warranty work done by him which he gets authorised by Bailey - fairly small bits and pieces so far but if major work needs doing he has a workshop as well which he uses for bodywork, resealing etc, and then if it requires going back to Bailey, he organises it.

The cost of his last service was £180 - worth every penny as I know it has all been done correctly. :)

I think you may find it was the mobile service companies that didn't stop doing a damp check. And all members of the Approved Workshop scheme should have the correct tools to check for damp without the need to remove the plastic trays.

I have had to complete damp repairs on quite a few Bailey caravans that were services by mobile AWS. My point is these were caravans that had been brought in to part exchange and we had never serviced them previously but have had to carry out large damp repairs on a lot more than one occasion where the service reports state no damp found as opposed to individual readings. There is no way for correctly checking front locker ingress without removing the trays as far as im aware . I will ring Bailey tommorow and confirm as they have never stated any different. By the way this is not a vendetta against mobile service engineers as im aware that there are cowboys in all areas and just having the ticket doesnt guarentee quality workmanship.

Edited by Cvan1

Whether mobile OR a main dealer!!!

Kev

there are cowboys in all areas and just having the ticket doesnt guarentee quality workmanship.

Just to clarify if a company is just NCC registered your warranty WILL NOT remain intact. .... They must be a member of the APPROVED WORKSHOP scheme.

This is correct. They must be a member of the AWS, a member of the NCC means nothing as regards manufacturers warranty

Edited by Reads

According to Bailey both yourself and he caravan medic are wrong on this, look at post 12 and 14

Kev

This is correct. They must be a member of the AWS, a member of the NCC means nothing as regards manufacturers warranty

Edited by Kevin H

According to Bailey both yourself and he caravan medic are wrong on this, look at post 12 and 14

Kev

This looks like a possible miss reading. Approved workshop scheme is under the ncc but you can have an ncc approved dealer/retailer without approved workshop scheme status. This means the dealer can retail caravans ie pdi but cannot service for gain

Edited by Cvan1

Non invasive meters are not recognised by Bailey.

What moisture meters do Bailey recognise ? I thought the Protimeter Aquant was the industry standard for caravan servicing companies

As bailey require a Full Approved Workshop service to maintain their warranty & as all members of the Approved Workshop scheme must use a non invasive along with an invasive moisture detector how is it that you think Bailey won't recognise one. ....the info for them is readily available on line!