Sign in to follow this  
outhouse

Dometic Toilet - Is This Progress?

Does anyone actually like these?

After years of Thetford came to the Dom with an open mind.

Unfortunately the amount of flushing water available was limited from delivery. The dealer said they were all like this - after much effort it's not now and the toilet actually flushes. Don't know what improved matters but I had a carbon filter let go and the months spent trying to get the water system to work again seemed to do the trick. ..

Unlike with the Thet if you sit on the toilet with the trap shut it breaks the seal and the compartment floods. Odd one this but Thet does advise that you use it's toilet this way to help flushing liquids.

The ceramic bowl seems to bring nothing to the party, tried making it a talking point but no one was interested!

The reservoir is very difficult to MT (poor hand holds) especially if you're left handed and requires numerous flushes and shaking (not advised) to evacuate. So much so that the float has now broken off.

And the shape of the bowl (probably the worst aspect) doesn't fit an average person (and I'm not average!) Have a look any toilet and count how many round ones there are - how many?

I know Dom couldn't copy Thets tried and tested design but I still think they could have come up with something more comfortable, usable and robust than this. Don't see any redesigns on the horizon.

• Like 2
  • +1 1

I have the same opinion I e-mail dometic again only this weekend to ask how they could make so many design faults in something as simple as a toilet. on emptying mine this last weekend my vent button took off and flew several feet into the air. Yet another thing to drop off . so sick of it I have my dealer looking into having a retro fit toilet of a better make. I don't think I will get a reply from my email as they have not responded to any others. My advise to anyone looking at a new van don't get one with a dometic toilet.

Can't really say I noticed a lot of difference - it's a loo after all and mainly used for number 1's by me.

Not had any problems emptying it.

OH thinks it's far superior to the previous Thetford.

Edited by hp100425ev

Can't really say I noticed a lot of difference - it's a loo after all and mainly used for number 1's by me.

I use mine for both and find cleaning after is a chore for small long fingered hand. The fill for the flush is too deep requiring a long spout. To empty the flush you waste it all into the toilet. The handle becomes stiffer after each use and a regular lubrication is required. The handle in use sits between your legs and fouls you're underwear. On emptying if you stand it up on solid ground it scratches the handle. The float lasted 3 weeks thinnest plastic I have ever seen. My cassette leaked from the seal holding the handle to the cassette. Resulting in a new cassette now the vent button has flown out. Very poor quality I questioned fit for purpose.

Dometic are great at making fridges.

Thetford are great at making toilets.

Neither should have ventured into either alternative items.

• Like 5

I was hoping for better from Dometic having had a lot of aggro with present Thetford C250, older cassettes (C200 etc.) gave many years faultless service.

Friends with latest Dometic toilets confirm problems.

Have to fully agree with Brecon on this.

I've got to agree with Brecon, but would ask why caravan manufacturers cannot also agree as well. I suppose we have to accept their decisions regarding installed equipment, are based as much upon economics as performance of said equipment, but unless we tell them, do they know of our misgivings with this equipment.

John.

Edited by John19

Another vote for Brecon!

I agree it doesn't seem any different and I haven't had anything go wrong either

• Like 1

Another, dissatisified with Dometic here! Why is it so tall? The so called 360 flush is just rubbish.

We've suffered with a Dometic loo for 2 seasons now. Never again - this would really be a deal breaker if we ever replace our caravan.

Jim

When I went to my dealer to complain about the vent button they said they would order new parts, but the service staff were having a dometic training day. The service manager asked me to write down the faults a4 page later he had my reply. Guess who managed to drop on the right day. Only managed to bend the technical managers ear Over the faults, the filler for the flush they wanted to make it a downward angle but manufacturers insisted on a straight filler for ease of installation. The flush is supposed to work after 5 secs a bigger pump would waste more water. The sharp edge I pointed out is because some toilets are fitted into shower trays. On the high while everyone feels it's too high one person complained it was too low? The handle has to come out of the front and has to be that size, I did suggest a smaller handle maybe making it telescopic to save space and the uncomfortable feeling of it stuck between your legs. As to cleaning not to shake it but just to swill it. The maintenance side is silicon grease on slider rails also to take out the vent plug and clean that and smear with grease. Make sure nothing is fouling the vent button from inside cassette causing the spring to break the button which is what happened to mine. Now on my third cassette with lots more things to clean and grease. Like I said before will not consider another van with this toilet.

Terry

I find it OK. Holds more so less emptying for me to do and the ceramic bowl cleans easily. Flush is a bit feeble. Slight gripe over how the handle can scratch up a bit too. Some scope to improve but overall I think I marginally prefer it to the Thetford.

Apart from scratches on the handle mine has been fine over the 261 nights we have been out in the van.

Our previous Thetford used to leak into the van.

Ian

Having had to campaign for a new updated pump for mine to allow it to operate as it should. It has now developed a very small leak from the flush tank and it is coming away from the wall. Dealer has ordered a complete new toilet.

I mockingly asked them to fit a Thetford. They said that was not possible and they had looked into it as so many had asked for this.

They said I should expect to wait a couple of months for Dometic to send the new loo.

John

• Like 1

We have a Baily Unicorn with a thetford toilet which is too small flimsy plastic and every morning sitting on it gives you a wet experience as it gets totally covered inside with condensation.

We don't like leaving the lid up so have to suffer this.

We have had mant caravans over 30 years and this toilet is the worse one we have had.

David

I have had a Dometic loo in my 2013 Lunar Clubman and have struggled with it ever since.  The slider gets very stiff and is very difficult to operate especially when sitting on it.  I have tried all sorts of grease but although silicone seems the best, the slider tightens up after a few goes.  it seems so silly to expect a plastic slider to operate freely between two rubber seals.  Dometic sent me a new slider assy. but it is no better.  The float broke in mine also.  Thetford have the best arrangement in that their shutter drops away from the seal before it slides out of the way.  I am considering replacing the whole unit with the Thetford C223CS.  I will have to do a bit more research to see if it would be possible to do this.  As this loo runs from caravan mains water, it will mean blanking off the flush tank filler on the inside if the Thetford does not cover the hole.  This would look unsightly so that could scupper the project.  I have been in touch with Thetford but they were no help at all.  You would have thought that with all the complaints about the Domestic, Thetford would have grabbed the chance of a retrofit for theirs.  I am also trying Lunar but I doubt I'll get very far with them either.  Watch this space!!!   Brian.

38 minutes ago, Brian N said:

I have had a Dometic loo in my 2013 Lunar Clubman and have struggled with it ever since.  The slider gets very stiff and is very difficult to operate especially when sitting on it.  I have tried all sorts of grease but although silicone seems the best, the slider tightens up after a few goes.  it seems so silly to expect a plastic slider to operate freely between two rubber seals.  Dometic sent me a new slider assy. but it is no better.  The float broke in mine also.  Thetford have the best arrangement in that their shutter drops away from the seal before it slides out of the way.  I am considering replacing the whole unit with the Thetford C223CS.  I will have to do a bit more research to see if it would be possible to do this.  As this loo runs from caravan mains water, it will mean blanking off the flush tank filler on the inside if the Thetford does not cover the hole.  This would look unsightly so that could scupper the project.  I have been in touch with Thetford but they were no help at all.  You would have thought that with all the complaints about the Domestic, Thetford would have grabbed the chance of a retrofit for theirs.  I am also trying Lunar but I doubt I'll get very far with them either.  Watch this space!!!   Brian.

No complaints at all with our Dometic and better in most respetcs than Thetford.

• Confused 1

I have to lubricate my slider regularly - the dealer did replace the slide under warranty but no better afterwards - I use silicone spray lubricant or GT85 whichever is to hand.

We bought a new Knaus Starclass 695 in Dec 2018 - fitted with the Dometic toilet and at first glance, I thought it would be the best on the market.  How silly I was - it was absolutely rubbish. The  blade was always stiff, despite there being plenty of silicone grease and me applying more. The cassette leaked from the blade - both into the van and the cassette locker.  The flush was pathetic, wheels too small to be of any use whatsoever, and you need three hands to operate the release valve whilst emptying (pressing the valve once, as per the instructions, didn't work) . The telescopic handle jammed in the fully open position - far too complicated a design and flimsily built.  And, finally, the flush mechanism packed up altogether - all in the first five months of ownership. Plus, whoever designed the filler aperture, clearly had never been caravanning.

Whilst the dealer was more than happy to replace the toilet - they were restricted in that it had to be a like-for-like replacement and based on their experience, they recommended replacing it with a Thetford - but I would have to pay.  Given what we had paid for the van and the fact that I was sick and fed up with continual problems, I agreed for them to do this and the new Thetford went in without a problem - other than the fact that the flush now draws water from the inboard tank since the flush water apertures do not align - thereby rendering the aperture on the van redundant.

Although it is unlikely that I will be buying another caravan, like others I would not buy one if a Dometic toilet was fitted.

Posted (edited)

The Dometic loo has been fitted to the new Coachmans. I feel this is a step backwards. I have had to almost fight the slider from day one. We both feel that a child would need help with it. Like others, I have found that silicone spray is the best but what worries me on this thread is the broken sensor float. One possible solution to this is instead of using ‘blue’ I use Lidl’s Formil bio laundry pods in the GREEN box. - and only Lidl’s in the green box! Other brands do not work nearly as well.  I have seen reports of people using other brands and complaining of the pong! Lidl’s pods seem to kill most of the smell and a little spray bottle of Zoflora diluted 40-1 keeps everything smelling sweet. They break solids down extremely efficiently and therefore the swirling of the contents before emptying is not as important. The swirling MUST be done gently! Do not go like a bull at a gate or you will break the float.  I hope this helps. In the flush water I use Lidl’s ‘doussey’ fabric conditioner- highly scented and no black bits! I use the same amount as I would pink. The savings are considerable particularly against the blue and with no danger of spillage causing untold anguish for the hapless caravanner!!  Lidl Pod in the waste tank - Fabric Conditioner in the flush tank (if you have one)

Edited by Bobajob63

We have a Lunar Clubman with a Dometic toilet - it's always been troublesome - fine when it was new but soon became stiff to operate - the slider mechanism was replaced by the dealer under warranty at 1 year old with the same result, fine to start then becoming stiff.

It had become so stiff over time that I needed to lubricate the mechanism every time I emptied it - but this week I've cleaned it with Thetford Cassette Cleaner and then removed the slider assembly, cleaned it again and then re-lubricated everything that moves with silicone grease or silicone spray - it works fine now but it's anyone's guess how long that'll last.

For fluids we use plain water in the flush and Asda Biological Washing Liquid in the cassette - the Dometic toilet is automatically vented to fresh air, like a SOG system but without the fan.

Another anti Dometic appliance user here. OH has to empty kettle in toilet where the pump water misses. I never think the water will be pumped out fully for winter storage, just waiting for frost to claim the tank.

The next van will not have Dometic appliance in..

3 hours ago, Black Grouse said:

It had become so stiff over time that I needed to lubricate the mechanism every time I emptied it - but this week I've cleaned it with Thetford Cassette Cleaner and then removed the slider assembly, cleaned it again and then re-lubricated everything that moves with silicone grease or silicone spray - it works fine now but it's anyone's guess how long that'll last.

For fluids we use plain water in the flush and Asda Biological Washing Liquid in the cassette - the Dometic toilet is automatically vented to fresh air, like a SOG system but without the fan.

We pour extra virgin oil on the seal [Super U own brand] after each emptying and operate the opening mechanism 4 or 5 times, or until the seal spins freely to keep it supple.

Steve