Sign in to follow this  
peterjohn

One Persons Take On Solid Construction

Not sure what the links or your comments are supposed to point out. The gentleman needed a new roof panel because it was damaged.

I simply cannot see why someone has gone to the trouble of setting up a webpage aimed at criticising SoLiD construction and none of the points are related to the construction method, very poor construction standards in general, yes.

I thought I had posted in a constructive manner so am a little surprised at the attempts of sarcasm.

I think word is denialism.

The gentlemans web page clearly shows the problems with his caravan and the lack of build quality and poor design.

Its just clutching at straws to defend the problems with his caravan in stating his damp problems are not linked to SoLiD construction, whilst showing extreme lack of empathy with his plight.

Maybe next you'll be posting his images are fake.

Its this type of denial that keeps manufactures of these sorry products in business and owners stressed and broke.

I make no apologies for my posts but let's hope your caravan is free from similar faults.

Edited by Gaz40
  • Like 2

As a post script to all this, I have been in direct communication with the originator of the website and advised him of his rights to get his money back or get a new replacement. He is content at this time to accept having the van he owns go back to Elddis again for a proper refit. His main aim was to shame Elddis and make them aware of their shortcomings whilst admitting that the design of his van was just to his liking.

It is NOT the way I would have brought this to a conclusion but I have to respect his right a to do as he pleases.

Maybe Elddis will be made aware of what has gone on and do the decent thing and sort the gentleman out to his ultimate satisfaction. A good job they weren't dealing with me on this issue.

As long as this state of affairs exists however, I cannot help but think that the industry as we know it will not make significant strides.

P. S. I do not endorse his course of action but accept his right to do so. ......Peter

• Like 3

Maybe Elddis will be made aware of what has gone on and do the decent thing and sort the gentleman out to his ultimate satisfaction. A good job they weren't dealing with me on this issue.

The trouble is that he has no redress with Elddis, other than their legal obligations to honour their warranty to the end user. Legally his battle is with his dealer, no one else.

Regarding his creation of his web page "why not"

Manufactures give claim to their products. With revaluations of technical excellence, extended product testing and in production quality. .. SO . . Why not a owner highlighting the results of these advertised claims . .. What's good for the goose and all that.

If he can get all the work rectified to an acceptable standard of a new caravan and within a reasonable time, all the better. Its the easiest route to take and with probably the least hassle but it all depends on the individual.

Edited by Gaz40
  • Like 2

Hi Gaz40. Yes of course you are. Technically correct and the first thing you should do is contact the dealer, tell him that you want your money back plus expenses. Tell him how much you want and give him say 14 days. Make it clear that you WILL institute small claims court proceedings ( it will cost you £50 which you will get back)

If however the dealer has gone bankrupt then your redress is with the manufacturer, but either way in a situation where a dealer has twice tried unsuccessfully to effect a repair, then you are entitled to your money back END OF STORY.

What we ideally want is everyone in this situation to realise that it isn't a hard job to fight this, do not be put off by what might be said, I. e. "Ah well you've had it six months now and you have to keep it" Complete rubbish, time to stand up and be counted as one of those small people who took on the Goliaths.

Rant over, carry on NOT exercising your rights under SOGA and reap the damp rewards. ...Peter

• Like 1

Hi Gaz40. Yes of course you are. Technically correct and the first thing you should do is contact the dealer, tell him that you want your money back plus expenses. Tell him how much you want and give him say 14 days. Make it clear that you WILL institute small claims court proceedings ( it will cost you £50 which you will get back)

If however the dealer has gone bankrupt then your redress is with the manufacturer, but either way in a situation where a dealer has twice tried unsuccessfully to effect a repair, then you are entitled to your money back END OF STORY.

What we ideally want is everyone in this situation to realise that it isn't a hard job to fight this, do not be put off by what might be said, I. e. "Ah well you've had it six months now and you have to keep it" Complete rubbish, time to stand up and be counted as one of those small people who took on the Goliaths.

Rant over, carry on NOT exercising your rights under SOGA and reap the damp rewards. ...Peter

I'm afraid your wrong "End of story" no offence intended.

Your contract is solely with the supplying dealer. You can only rely on the manufacturer to offer repairs under their manufacturers warranty, where their terms and conditions apply. Not for a monetary refund of a replacement caravan, unless repairs deem it uneconomical to repair a caravan. But if you have no dealer or want to bypass them, this isn't going to happen.

I can link you to my Trading Standards Case officer if you want. (Been there got the T-shirt)

Gaz 40. You may have been there and bought the T shirt but you are still entitled to your money back whether it is from the dealer or the manufacturer. Telling people they can not get there money back after two unsuccessful attempts to put things right is wrong.

I have bought that T shirt and have had my money refunded. ...Peter

• Like 1

Gaz 40. You may have been there and bought the T shirt but you are still entitled to your money back whether it is from the dealer or the manufacturer. Telling people they can not get there money back after two unsuccessful attempts to put things right is wrong.

I have bought that T shirt and have had my money refunded. ...Peter

Firstly you need to be corrected :angry: . ...... I did not state that folks cant get their money back (within certian criteria) and you cant fight for a monetary refund, either full or partial or maybe none at all. You can also fight to replace your caravan, again within certian criteria.

Secondly name me one case that a caravan manufacture has refunded the customer their money, where the manufactures has not been the seller to the end user. Again name me another case where the manufactures has supplied a replacement caravan directly to the end user and not through the selling dealer ( In turn the dealer has to claim against the manufacture)

The manufacture has no legal obligation to refund your money or replace your caravan, if they are not your seller. !

So I suggest you restrain from misleading folks that they have a claim against the manufacture, if their manufacture is not the seller. The only claim they would have against a manufacture, is if the manufacture fails to honour their product warranty, when all their terms and conditions have been met.

With respect I would return your T-Shirt, it sounds as if you've purchased the wrong one :D

Contact your local Trading Standards for advice and a outline of the SoGA ;)http://www. which. co. uk/consumer-rights/problem/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-faulty-product

Edited by Gaz40
  • Like 1

Gaz 40 please contact my friend jcf1966 and ask him about how he not only got a full refund on his new Swift in 2005 but also got £7000 in compensation enabling him to buy his new Hymer.

We talk from experience not from hearsay.

You see it can be done.

Unfortunately you suffer from the same misconception as others who do not stick up for their rights.

Please read again the 1974 & 1979 sale of goods act and use it

You did ask for proof, now you have it.

Gaz 40 please contact my friend jcf1966 and ask him about how he not only got a full refund on his new Swift in 2005 but also got £7000 in compensation enabling him to buy his new Hymer.

We talk from experience not from hearsay.

You see it can be done.

Unfortunately you suffer from the same misconception as others who do not stick up for their rights.

Please read again the 1974 & 1979 sale of goods act and use it

You did ask for proof, now you have it.

Yes you can possibly get a refund and you can also possibly claim compensation within a County Court and that is a judgement of the court or even settled out of court. .... But you'll get this awarded from the retailer NOT the manufacture, if they were not the retailer. :rolleyes:http://www. which. co. uk/consumer-rights/problem/what-do-i-do-if-i-have-a-faulty-product

I have no misconceptions what so ever . ... Thank you very much :Dhttp://www. adviceguide. org. uk/wales/consumer_w/consumer_common_problems_with_products_e/consumer_what_you_can_do_about_faulty_goods_e/faulty_goods_-_if_you_want_your_money_back. htm

You given no proof what so ever, that a manufacture refunded the purchasers money or gave him compensation. ;) Its easy to talk the talk but how about walking the walk :o

The only way I can see anyone getting compensation from a manufacture is if they claimed for some kind of negligence in design or build (Dangerous Goods) and the end user sued them for this for damages, but this is totally a different scenario and I have never heard of this with a caravan manufacture and this falls outside of the SoGA :beardy:http://www. adviceguide. org. uk/wales/consumer_w/consumer_taking_action_e/consumer_making_a_claim_e/consumer_claiming_compensation_for_faulty_goods_e/claiming_from_the_manufacturer_for_damage_caused_by_faulty_goods. htm

Some trading standards are advising that Warranty/guarantees are now legally enforceable against the person offering it. Which in this case is the Manufacturer. If the Trader has ceased trading to comply with E. U. legislation. Not researched it though.

http://www. renfrewshire. gov. uk/webcontent/home/services/community+and+living/consumer+advice+and+protection/es-mw-tradingstandardsfaq

Some trading standards are advising that Warranty/guarantees are now legally enforceable against the person offering it. Which in this case is the Manufacturer. If the Trader has ceased trading to comply with E. U. legislation. Not researched it though.

http://www. renfrewshire. gov. uk/webcontent/home/services/community+and+living/consumer+advice+and+protection/es-mw-tradingstandardsfaq

To be fair most caravan manufactures will refer you to another one of their dealers for warranty repairs on their products if the Trader has gone bust, to uphold their warranty agreement and most Caravan Manufactures have given themselves Authorised Repairer status to accept caravans into their workshop for warranty repairs.

This is totally a different area in forcing a refund or compensation from the caravan manufacture for faulty goods. Your contract and SoGA is with the dealer (retailer)

Edited by Gaz40
  • Like 2

Which is exactly what happened with my friend, the dealer had had 3 attempts to stop damp ingress, he went with a damp meter, threw the keys at the dealer and told him he wanted his money back. O. k. It took some to-ing and fro-ing but ultimately he got his money back. Do not infer that I am lying, nothing to be gained from that.

If you choose not to believe me I really don't care.

As far as i am concerned this is ended. ...Peter

• Like 1

Which is exactly what happened with my friend, the dealer had had 3 attempts to stop damp ingress, he went with a damp meter, threw the keys at the dealer and told him he wanted his money back. O. k. It took some to-ing and fro-ing but ultimately he got his money back. Do not infer that I am lying, nothing to be gained from that.

If you choose not to believe me I really don't care.

As far as i am concerned this is ended. ...Peter

So your friend got his refund from the dealer NOT the manufacture. Who awarded the expenses claim ?

I also thought you had your own experience, hence the T-shirt you aquired.

Please refer back to your posts where you commented incorrectly, that I was miss leading folks to their rights. before you throw your toys out of the pram.

Your contract is with the dealer and this is who you direct your claim to (Rightly or wrongly)

Edited by Gaz40

I think word is denialism.

The gentlemans web page clearly shows the problems with his caravan and the lack of build quality and poor design.

Its just clutching at straws to defend the problems with his caravan in stating his damp problems are not linked to SoLiD construction, whilst showing extreme lack of empathy with his plight.

Maybe next you'll be posting his images are fake.

Its this type of denial that keeps manufactures of these sorry products in business and owners stressed and broke.

I make no apologies for my posts but let's hope your caravan is free from similar faults.

It seems that in your efforts of sarcasm and criticism of my posting you have completely missed the point of my comments.

Why would I be suggesting this is fake? It is an utter disgrace to have had the van presented in this condition in the first place and then repaired in the manner shown. I feel the webpage may have been better aimed at the explorer groups shocking quality procedures and lack of any attention to detail rather than making a big deal of SoLiD, that was all.

As it seems you have to have the last word in any posting please feel free to reply to this as I will be monitoring from the 'sidelines' from here any you can claim it for this conversation.

Rest assured if my new van is presented in anything like this condition then payment will not be made. The benefit of threads like this are that there are now many more points for my inspection before payment.

• Like 1

Peterjohn read the original post and thought it was great, without going through 4 pages of replies and the bitching going on from some members have you had any reaction form Elddis yet ? and good look hope you get your money back or a new van and any expenses you have incured. i hate the claim culture the uk now has but in this case i hope you get some cmpensation as a gesture of goodwill from them as well

Peterjohn read the original post and thought it was great, without going through 4 pages of replies and the bitching going on from some members have you had any reaction form Elddis yet ? and good look hope you get your money back or a new van and any expenses you have incured. i hate the claim culture the uk now has but in this case i hope you get some cmpensation as a gesture of goodwill from them as well

Just FYI. .. PeterJohn just posted the link, it's not his website or caravan.

Mark.

It seems that in your efforts of sarcasm and criticism of my posting you have completely missed the point of my comments.

Why would I be suggesting this is fake? It is an utter disgrace to have had the van presented in this condition in the first place and then repaired in the manner shown. I feel the webpage may have been better aimed at the explorer groups shocking quality procedures and lack of any attention to detail rather than making a big deal of SoLiD, that was all.

As it seems you have to have the last word in any posting please feel free to reply to this as I will be monitoring from the 'sidelines' from here any you can claim it for this conversation.

Rest assured if my new van is presented in anything like this condition then payment will not be made. The benefit of threads like this are that there are now many more points for my inspection before payment.

If replying to a post is your interpretation of “the last word” then I certainly am sarcastic and in interpreting your dismissal of a owners plight, highlighted in creating his own website and after other owners pointed out damp problems in areas without any window apertures, is also sarcastic … So be it.
I can fully understand the defence of your purchase and you probably wont have any problems to mach the ones above, but to say that you will use the information posted on these forums to assist your purchase but at the same time post that this gentleman's problem isn't with SoLiD . ... is a bit rich, to say the least.
Edited by Gaz40

Just FYI. .. PeterJohn just posted the link, it's not his website or caravan.

Mark.

The link was originally posted here http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/101287-98-damp/?p=1110525 to see if it could help PaulR in his Elddis SoLiD damp problems. Then it was re-posted in this thread, mainly it seems for a crusade on the quality of Germans caravans. ^_^

German caravans do seem to be reported to aspire to better quality but it wasn't the reason I posted the link in the other topic. It was to maybe help another Elddis owner with similar problems. :unsure:

Edited by Gaz40

markt thanks for pointing that out like others i got the wrong end of the stick ( not unusual ) but hey thats life LOL at myself

I have only ever heard of one instance where a manufacture have "attempted" to give a customer there money back, this was due to him turning up in his motorhome at the factory full of gas bottles threatening to blow it up if the didn't sort out his issues, in fairness to the customer (as crazy he might of been) he didn't want his money back, just wanted his problems sorted.

Its a massive common misconception that German vans don't share the same inherent water ingress problems and poor manufacture as their UK counterparts, the simple fact of the matter is there are so few German built vans on the road, 1% of all caravan sales in the UK are imports (compared to bailey and swift who are 70% combined) less supply means less complaints per units sold, hence why you are under the impression they are generally seen as better built.

Edited by Caravantech

:goodpost:

I have only ever heard of one instance where a manufacture have "attempted" to give a customer there money back, this was due to him turning up in his motorhome at the factory full of gas bottles threatening to blow it up if the didn't sort out his issues, in fairness to the customer (as crazy he might of been) he didn't want his money back, just wanted his problems sorted.

Its a massive common misconception that German vans don't share the same inherent water ingress problems and poor manufacture as their UK counterparts, the simple fact of the matter is there are so few German built vans on the road, 1% of all caravan sales in the UK are imports (compared to bailey and swift who are 70% combined) less supply means less complaints per units sold, hence why you are under the impression they are generally seen as better built.

Just when I'm going to look at the possibility of changing my 7 year old Elddis for a new one, at the NEC this month, I find this thread! Why didn't the dealer reject it on delivery? I would not like to buy from that dealer.

I hear the comment re. German vans, but I have yet to come across one for two people that is not more than my 85% weight of around 1400kg

Also, German dealers seem somewhat scarce in the Midlands.

Any comments?

My Elddis has been OK for 7 years, not perfect but I'm reasonable at DIY!, but for a lot of vans out there I would like more substance/durability and less gloss.

Edited by ChrisUK

Hi Guys

I have read all your comments about Elddis up the road from me, I always thought they were a good brand

maybe as said the "Solid" technology is a load of *****, if I was still tempted to buy would be a older model

before "Solid" technology was introduced, but not before I had personally done a (110% inspection) of all the

problems that were noted on the "Solid" technology. ..and maybe just maybe consider a German made van. .

Just had my caravan serviced, technician concurs that pre SOLID is the way to go. My 7 year old Elddis was totally dry inside. So I won't be visiting the Elddis stand at the NEC the week after next. I might have a good look at Adria however.

I've still not come across a German van under 1400kg.

Just had my caravan serviced, technician concurs that pre SOLID is the way to go. My 7 year old Elddis was totally dry inside. So I won't be visiting the Elddis stand at the NEC the week after next. I might have a good look at Adria however.

I've still not come across a German van under 1400kg.

On what basis is pre SoLiD better?