Sign in to follow this  
peterjohn

One Persons Take On Solid Construction

The big problem is that the great British public do not like to complain vociferously enough.

If at the outset, any complaints were brought to the attention of those concerned, given chance to put things right, then if they weren't put right to the satisfaction of the owner, then a court summons would be issued and the money refunded or else! Enough of these summons issued and the dealers and the manufacturers would get the idea that Joe Public is not prepared to put up with this.

I have said this so many times on this forum and others that sometimes I feel I am banging my head against a brick wall but I will persevere. In the hope that it will get through and eventually we will get a good product first time.

I live in hope as I am a born optimist. ......Peter

• Like 2

My personal view is that its not so much what goes wrong. Its how its put right. certainly in the caravan industry there is much to be desired, the delays on parts is sometimes incredible with 3 months the norm on parts that should be held in the uk in my opinion and not in Europe or china as is the case may be. If the industry put more pressure on suppliers then things could improve but quality control in assembly is entirely down to the caravan industry itself.

• Like 3

Is it time that we vanners formed an organisation that is ours as consumers? Given the experience of many of us. Would it be beyond the bounds of possibility that for a nominal sum membership would bring proper advice and more importantly backing for those that have a genuine cause to reject. The knowledge of a tiger with teeth that was prepared to actually make dealers and manufacturers face the courts would perhaps finally get some improvement.

The advent of the net gives us a great weapon for evidence gathering. This forum would be a superb platform, but would it cause 'caravan talk' problems if we did so, only the owners of the forum can answer that. We have expertise in spades among members and I for one are fed up with having to bring the S. O. G. A. to dealers attention.

If the manufacturers and dealers who do not face their responsibilities go to the wall then I for one will not shed any tears. Win a few cases and get the right publicity and it will be like a snowball rolling down hill to our advantage. At present we present a fragmented group. Situations like the Damp Swifts / Bailey early Alu-tech lockers / Solid that isn't / Coachman windows / Lunar distorting windows just to name a few should be reason for a manufacturers recall. The law says 'fit for purpose' 'as described' and to be fixed / replaced / refunded at the dealers expense and 'without significant inconvenience' for the purchaser. Most of us experience situations that are exactly the opposite of this.

I know that the Caravan Club and Camping and Caravan Club give out advice. But advice without actual action is not working.

So what do we think. I for one would be happy to contribute to belong and with what assistance I can give. If enough agree I'll kick of a new thread provided it does not cause CT any problems.

Edited by Alan Stanley
  • Like 8

I had this fight with with another caravan manufacture

you need to take them to court, trust me on this it is not a big scary place and you will win.

i got all my money back and £7000 compensation i then went and bought a german caravan.

i am now on my second German van and will never buy a british van again.

every time something new comes out i say the same thing. Great lets hope this is it but wait 3 years and every time

i see the same thing.

if you have a problem let them sort it out if they dont the second time ask for your money back if not sue them

if any company had 2 or 300 law suits against them they will sort the problem or go bust and for the sake of new customers falling into this trap lets hope it is the latter.

sorry for repeating my self but

Dont buy British or sue

James

• Like 1

Is it time that we vanners formed an organisation that is ours as consumers? Given the experience of many of us. Would it be beyond the bounds of possibility that for a nominal sum membership would bring proper advice and more importantly backing for those that have a genuine cause to reject. The knowledge of a tiger with teeth that was prepared to actually make dealers and manufacturers face the courts would perhaps finally get some improvement.

The advent of the net gives us a great weapon for evidence gathering. This forum would be a superb platform, but would it cause 'caravan talk' problems if we did so, only the owners of the forum can answer that. We have expertise in spades among members and I for one are fed up with having to bring the S. O. G. A. to dealers attention.

If the manufacturers and dealers who do not face their responsibilities go to the wall then I for one will not shed any tears. Win a few cases and get the right publicity and it will be like a snowball rolling down hill to our advantage. At present we present a fragmented group. Situations like the Damp Swifts / Bailey early Alu-tech lockers / Solid that isn't / Coachman windows / Lunar distorting windows just to name a few should be reason for a manufacturers recall. The law says 'fit for purpose' 'as described' and to be fixed / replaced / refunded at the dealers expense and 'without significant inconvenience' for the purchaser. Most of us experience situations that are exactly the opposite of this.

I know that the Caravan Club and Camping and Caravan Club give out advice. But advice without actual action is not working.

So what do we think. I for one would be happy to contribute to belong and with what assistance I can give. If enough agree I'll kick of a new thread provided it does not cause CT any problems.

and it looks like more folks are starting to kick back http://www. baileycaravanfaults. com

Edited by Gaz40
  • Like 1

No Marks, that's just not so. Bought mine 2006 back to dealer for small repair 2011 still in good condition will not even swop it now for a new British one with NO cash adjustment. What does that tell you?....Peter

My 10 year old Swift conqueror, still dry as a bone, still in very good condition, everything works perfectly, based on your assumption, as my one van is good, every British van is fine too.

and it looks like more folks are starting to kick back http://www. baileycaravanfaults. com

Good way to kick back. A sorry tale of woe. Others have reported vans coming back from factory repairs described as immaculate and fixed so they can get it right. A long time ago but our Pageant was returned from a factory visit for cracked ABS front in what can only be described as superb. They had also done or ungraded a few bits as a 'sorry'.

If only is was a rare event for them to need repairing in the first place and the dealers didn't try to fob us off when things went wrong and bent over backwards to fix them we would all be a lot happier and the forum would be a lot quieter.

Edited by Alan Stanley

My 10 year old Swift conqueror, still dry as a bone, still in very good condition, everything works perfectly, based on your assumption, as my one van is good, every British van is fine too.

I think that is a little unfair mate.

I know a lot of German caravan owners and they all say the same.

May be small problems but nothing big and NO DAMP even were a Greman van had leaked they just needed sticking back together.

I have had 6 British vans and all leaked a dip rind of mine had similar .

I am not saying. Buy german and you will have no problems at all but nothing like the British vans.

Some are good and last but in my mind your playing a lottery and I for one can not afford to take the risk.

James

Hi Marks, I am genuinely pleased for you, as for me, I bought a Swift in 1986 and by 1987 it had to be returned for damp at three of the four corners, so by my reckoning that's 50% dry! not a good average.

See jcf 1966 post, a good friend of mine who had a similar problem to me with a Swift and now you have 66% wet and 34% dry.

How does that grab you for statistics?

And Alan Stanley, thank you for your support and I wish that all on here would set out to put things right the way you say.

I am retired and would willingly offer my time to form some kind of action group although the legal implications of this would have to be sorted out.

Cannot see too much of a problem because as long as complaints are backed up by solid (sorry no pun intended ) truth, there is nothing that cannot be said.

Let's all have a think about it and see what we can do or what we want to do. .....Peter

• Like 1

I think that is a little unfair mate.

I know a lot of German caravan owners and they all say the same.

May be small problems but nothing big and NO DAMP even were a Greman van had leaked they just needed sticking back together.

I have had 6 British vans and all leaked a dip rind of mine had similar .

I am not saying. Buy german and you will have no problems at all but nothing like the British vans.

Some are good and last but in my mind your playing a lottery and I for one can not afford to take the risk.

James

It wasn't meant to be unfair, I do get very frustrated at the constant English bashing in these threads, constantly attacking the British product when British industry needs all the help it can get, yes they have their problems but I imagine there are many more happy owners than angry ones, but you don't hear from happy owners usually. If the British caravan industry disappeared, we would all suffer, so it needs our support, so the constant putting down of English vans does us all no favours.

As someone who has just ordered a 2015 Elddis Super Sirocco I read this with horror. But looking at it again I cannot see any fault actually related to the SoLiD construction methods, which the article seems to be aimed at. 100% the van should not of been delivered initially in that condition and the repairs should have been completed without any damage occurring but I fail to see what this has to do with SoLiD?

No Marks, that's just not so. Bought mine 2006 back to dealer for small repair 2011 still in good condition will not even swop it now for a new British one with NO cash adjustment. What does that tell you?....Peter

Not a lot. I could say the same about my Bailey.

As someone who has just ordered a 2015 Elddis Super Sirocco I read this with horror. But looking at it again I cannot see any fault actually related to the SoLiD construction methods, which the article seems to be aimed at. 100% the van should not of been delivered initially in that condition and the repairs should have been completed without any damage occurring but I fail to see what this has to do with SoLiD?

I agree the issues don't relate to the SoLiD technology; they reflect very poor production line practice, but sadly practices the builder and dealer are content to inflict on their end customers.

Again sadly I don't know I could take any comfort from it being that rather than the technology in use.

Hope you fair very much better.

Edited by JTQ

Well you do have the excessive damp under the widow and other interior wall water stains. So I would understand that has a brach of the SoLiD construction :(

Remember the "promise" of the Elddis CEO that SoLiD construction would stay dry :(

Good way to kick back. A sorry tale of woe. Others have reported vans coming back from factory repairs described as immaculate and fixed so they can get it right. A long time ago but our Pageant was returned from a factory visit for cracked ABS front in what can only be described as superb. They had also done or ungraded a few bits as a 'sorry'.

If only is was a rare event for them to need repairing in the first place and the dealers didn't try to fob us off when things went wrong and bent over backwards to fix them we would all be a lot happier and the forum would be a lot quieter.

If caravan manufactures are repairing them to such a high standard and the amount of caravans being built are mainly reliable, there's really no need to form an action group. (For whant of a better phrase)

Perhaps owners of problem caravans are in the very minority. If this is so, I guess that owners with these problem caravans will just have to fight their own corner, or just throw the towel in :(

Edited by Gaz40

And another thing do you think The Formula 1and Aircraft and Marine industries advertise there products as built like Elddis like Elddis claim a common bond!!!! :)

And after watching the Life program on BBC the other night where a chimpazie made a spear to get his take away meal out of the hollow tree!!

You would have thought that Elddis could find some one to put a drain plug in the centre and the Antenna on straight and clean off all the mastic !!!! :ph34r:

I was told the reason all round my front windows was damp because they had faild to put two blobs of mastic behind two screws!! when it was made !Windows out front panel off how much did that cost them to put it right!! :(

Well you do have the excessive damp under the widow and other interior wall water stains. So I would understand that has a brach of the SoLiD construction :(

Remember the "promise" of the Elddis CEO that SoLiD construction would stay dry :(

Surely the damp under the window has to be a faulty/damaged window seal which is explicitly outside of the SoLiD warranty? The 'damp' staining does not specify if actually damp or just a stain of the covering.

Surely the damp under the window has to be a faulty/damaged window seal which is explicitly outside of the SoLiD warranty? The 'damp' staining does not specify if actually damp or just a stain of the covering.

"Surely' Why surely.

Elddis videos of SoLiD claimed that the windows were also bonded. The gentleman's compliant also highlights staining on a wall with no window.

Edited by Gaz40

Can I say that it shouldn't be a lottery as to whether you get a dry caravan or a wet one!

If anyone bought a new car for 20k then it leaked first time out he would take it back.

If sufficient pressure were exerted on manufacturers to get it right first time then we would not have any "British bashers"

Can I ask, does anyone out there think I take delight in having to admit that my fellow countrymen cannot put a caravan together properly?

The good technology is out there to do the job properly as evidenced by the fact that many caravans are dry.

It might only take ten minutes longer to make the properly, I know that if I had worked at any of the factories concerned, I would not have been satisfied until I had done my job properly, maybe bringing a sense of pride back into the workplace is the way to go. .....Peter

It wasn't meant to be unfair, I do get very frustrated at the constant English bashing in these threads, constantly attacking the British product when British industry needs all the help it can get, yes they have their problems but I imagine there are many more happy owners than angry ones, but you don't hear from happy owners usually. If the British caravan industry disappeared, we would all suffer, so it needs our support, so the constant putting down of English vans does us all no favours.

I understand that mate and trust me this is friendly banter.

I would totally agree with you and if any British manufacter wanted it I would give as much help as I can

But inmy case they just did not care and I am sorry to say it looks like many people are in the same position

I own and drive a British motor car, and a stunning machine it is

Before this I had German cars apart from one Rover and I sad then I would never buy British until they get it sorted.

They did so I bought one I stand by this with my caravan, if they get it right I will buy one.

No one on here wants to have a go at the British but what else can they do until they get it right.

James

"Surely' Why surely.

Elddis videos of SoLiD claimed that the windows were also bonded. The gentleman's compliant also highlights staining on a wall with no window.

'Surely' because it is wet immediately below the window but not above and the are no other joints in that area?

As earlier the stain is mentioned but no indication if it was actually damp.

'Surely' because it is wet immediately below the window but not above and the are no other joints in that area?

As earlier the stain is mentioned but no indication if it was actually damp.

Sure . .. Perhaps he left the window open ;(why don't you contact the gentleman directly and ask him why he needs to have a new roof panel)

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/71042-elddis-solid-water-test-video-on-youtube/

Maybe this gentleman below left the rear window open in the rear of his caravan.

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/101287-98-damp/

Edited by Gaz40

Sorry no windows near the wardrobe! If only it were that simple.

Solid stands for Strong,Light and Dry. As a person who also swallowed the tripe from Elddis and regretted it deeply,I think it has a lot to do with the so called Solid construction.

Congratulations on your new purchase,and I trully hope everything is perfect with your new van,but as I have just recently found out that Elddis don't have quality control checks done( they have the dealer do it on the PDI checks) make sure you go through your van thoroughly before you except it. If you find any problems don't except it with the dealer stating he will sort tge faults out in the current weeks,Elddis are appalling regarding Warranty claims.

• Like 2

Sure . .. Perhaps he left the window open ;(why don't you contact the gentleman directly and ask him why he needs to have a new roof panel)

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/71042-elddis-solid-water-test-video-on-youtube/

Maybe this gentleman below left the rear window open in the rear of his caravan.

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/101287-98-damp/

Not sure what the links or your comments are supposed to point out. The gentleman needed a new roof panel because it was damaged.

I simply cannot see why someone has gone to the trouble of setting up a webpage aimed at criticising SoLiD construction and none of the points are related to the construction method, very poor construction standards in general, yes.

I thought I had posted in a constructive manner so am a little surprised at the attempts of sarcasm.

• Like 1