Sign in to follow this  
peterjohn

One Persons Take On Solid Construction

I wonder how long that will stay up for public viewing.

Disgraceful !!

Ian

Just don't know what to say PJ

Excellent. I bet it gets results.

Dave

• Like 2

Well done !! about time someone showed them what rubbish they turn out ! :goodpost:

• Like 1

Think I may raise it next time we have "An Evening with Elddis".

Ian

I did something similar 18 years ago I parked a car which was faulty outside the dealership with balloons on the roof and full history written out in the windows. Left it all Sunday they did not have a customer all day. Rang me day after and threaten me with legal action if I did it again. Nissan soon stepped in and took it away. Had a new engine and full wiring loom. Drove it 10 miles to another garage and traded it in.

• Like 4

Think I may raise it next time we have "An Evening with Elddis".

Ian

That's not going to happen

well said alshamal,well done peterjohn,hope you get it sorted but most of all others should follow your example reporting poor workmanship.

• Like 1

Excellent. I bet it gets results.

Dave

I very much doubt it. The only way to get results, is to stop buying them. This isn't just a problem for Elddis, it's a problem right throughout the British caravan industry.

All the manufacturers constantly churn out poorly built vans, yet the Great British public continue to buy them, and there's your problem.

• Like 6

Get a few dealers talking, and you will find the German products have their share of problems too.

Reject, not fit for purpose as it will never be right, too much work done and to do for a "new" van.

I really feel for the op as I have been there and that was 30 years ago and still nothing has changed in this industry.

Get a few dealers talking, and you will find the German products have their share of problems too.

The above post is why the UK caravan industry will never offer reliability :(

As long as folks tip their caps to UK manufactures nothing will change.

Edited by Gaz40

With all these horror stories on new /ish vans I am tempted not to upgrade my vintage Elddis.

However, I can't understand why people are getting their nickers in a twist, as what brilock1#13 says is spot on.

Under the sale of goods act (SOGA) faulty goods must be repaired, exchanged or returned for refund, mostly at dealers discretion.

Under this act, dealers must be given reasonable opportunities to repair faults. If this fails then they are allowed to offer an exchange (like for like). If this fails then buyer can reject the product and ask for a refund. If need be this can be enforced at the small claims court at little cost

For further info on SOGA visit www. consumeractiongroup co uk. Go to motoring section and see "General Motoring Issues" or Vehicle manufacturers and retailers.

• Like 1

I really feel for the op. ..

PeterJohn (the OP) will need to confirm but I don't believe he is the owner of the website. His profile states he has a Hymer. Just in case there is any confusion. ... :-).

Mark.

All Caravans have problems what's important is how things are put right. I believe the policy of the Dealer you purchase from is what matters, we have experienced excellent After sales and as with our last purchase a Elddis Affinity 540 absolute rubbish. Thankfully a local Dealer Newport Caravans are now dealing with our warranty claims having already dealt with 2 claims and a further 3 in the near future.

I have recently joined Swift Talk because we have ordered a new Swift for delivery in Feb 2015. From what I have read so far Swift are proactive in dealing with problems. Most of the grief we have had was caused by the Dealer though Elddis don't help by hiding. They should follow the example of other British manufactures such as Lunar and Swift. And face up when problems occur.

With all these horror stories on new /ish vans I am tempted not to upgrade my vintage Elddis.

However, I can't understand why people are getting their nickers in a twist, as what brilock1#13 says is spot on.

Under the sale of goods act (SOGA) faulty goods must be repaired, exchanged or returned for refund, mostly at dealers discretion.

Under this act, dealers must be given reasonable opportunities to repair faults. If this fails then they are allowed to offer an exchange (like for like). If this fails then buyer can reject the product and ask for a refund. If need be this can be enforced at the small claims court at little cost

For further info on SOGA visit www. consumeractiongroup co uk. Go to motoring section and see "General Motoring Issues" or Vehicle manufacturers and retailers.

One of the bits that dealers are inclined to forget when 'discussing' with customers is that the repair / replacement must be as quoted in F4048BRepair or replacement of the goods

(1)If section 48A above applies, the buyer may require the seller—

(a)to repair the goods, or

(B)to replace the goods.

(2)If the buyer requires the seller to repair or replace the goods, the seller must—

(a)repair or, as the case may be, replace the goods within a reasonable time but without causing significant inconvenience to the buyer;

(B)bear any necessary costs incurred in doing so (including in particular the cost of any labour, materials or postage)

Now as far as I am concerned having the van unusable or away for repair for weeks on end is a Significant Inconvenience to me. This is itself can be used to force a refund/replacement as the repairs cannot be carried out in a reasonable time. My dealer suddenly became more inclined to offer a 'loan van' I wonder why ?.

PeterJohn (the OP) will need to confirm but I don't believe he is the owner of the website. His profile states he has a Hymer. Just in case there is any confusion. ... :-).

Mark.

As Mark points out, it's not my complaint, I have a Hymer and this is the reason. I would dearly love to buy British, I have always said that when Britain puts it's mind to it, we can do anything better than anyone else, as an ex engineer I know this for a fact, but as long as profit comes first, this will be the result.

BY THE WAY, I did contact the o. p. And suggested what his next move should be re; SOGA 1974, as yet no reply but I was only given this link today.

I also feel that at this moment in time Swift HT construction is looking the best so far but looking at Swifttalk even these are having a few problems although they do at least seem pro active in putting things right. ........Peter

Sounds like a frustrated owner if you ask me. Free speech and all that. It's put me off Solid construction though but then again I never liked The brand, they don't do it for me.

• Like 2

No Marks, that's just not so. Bought mine 2006 back to dealer for small repair 2011 still in good condition will not even swop it now for a new British one with NO cash adjustment. What does that tell you?....Peter

BY THE WAY, I did contact the o. p. And suggested what his next move should be re; SOGA 1974, as yet no reply but I was only given this link today.

Sorry I though you were PaulR

I posted the same link yesterday after reading his problems of damp in his Elddis http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/101287-98-damp/?p=1110525

But those dealers, are they those handling the products and so privy to the information to know what they are actually talking about?

Personally, I have not been overly impressed with the knowledge base in some parts of the caravan retail trade any more than some of the products they try to sell to me. So talking about a product they don't know about they are unlikely to be any more accurate?

Not all German caravans or motorhomes are not created equal, and being German itself is no guarantee of build quality.

Yes and they "have their share of problems too", but getting the fundaments right, as at least one builder has largely done, brings with it a justified much smaller "share".

I really feel for the position the SoLiD owner finds themselves in.

Edited by JTQ
  • Like 1

I very much doubt it. The only way to get results, is to stop buying them. This isn't just a problem for Elddis, it's a problem right throughout the British caravan industry.

All the manufacturers constantly churn out poorly built vans, yet the Great British public continue to buy them, and there's your problem.

I think it will have the same result . The last thing any manufacturing company wants is bad publicity that would effect sales.

He needs to contact his local paper as they love to run stories like these of the David and Goliath and then it will usually escalate to national papers.

I had a friend who had a issue with a dealership and after 3 yrs of getting nowhere made board up and stood outside one Saturday . He informed the local papers and in 3 hrs he had a Cheque put in his hand full refund by the dealerships solicitor.

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave
  • Like 1

If you buy a new car, more than likely you are going to be using it every day and any issues will be picked up quickly. With a caravan, it may only be used on a few occasions during the 1st, 2nd and 3rd years and it will take a lot longer to pick up any issues. Therefore it may be only in the third or fourth year that issues come to light however overall the caravan has had less than a year's use out of it in the meantime.

By that time, it is probably too late to make a claim unless it is a damp claim as damp is easiest to prove under sale of Goods Act that any other problem.

• Like 1