Sign in to follow this  
PaulR

98% Damp

Just collected my caravan after its first service 70 to 98% damp in the back of the caravan.

I don't consider this to be damp more WET!

So much for DRY!

I assume that the dealer made an immediate offer to fix under warranty.

Ouch! 98% is the highest I've ever heard of.

Hope it gets sorted out . ... to be honest I'd be looking for a replacement 'van.

Yes the warranty claim is in, not really interested in a replacement van, we have had three new Elddis caravans in the last four years (supporting local businesses, living NE.) Just plan to get this one fixed then we will look elsewhere.

No need to wait for a warranty claim, under the SOGA the dealer is responsible NOW!

Blimey Paul that is only 2% away from being a puddle with a caravan in it!!! I hope you get it sorted out without too much loss of use? Have you any idea where the water is getting in?

David

The water looks from the floor up. I did not even see it in the bottom of the wardrobe only the service guys doing a full check found it. When tthe rear wall is out I guess the route of the ingress will be revealed.

I bet your subs weren't that wet!!! :)

Paul, you're supposed to store it on land, not in a marina! :D

Edited by gravon42
  • Like 1

I'm just pleased its been a dry summer! Or who knows how wet it could have been maybe another 2% that would have been really bad. Yes I've resorted to a glass wine ;)

So much for solid.

Hi Stevan, I agree with the SOGA but over 6 months old etc and do I want another? I'm just going to get it fixed then. ..

Hi Stevan, I agree with the SOGA but over 6 months old etc and do I want another? I'm just going to get it fixed then. ..

Your easiest path is to get it fully repaired to a new standard and either carry on using it (It may well be fixed for the long term) or trade it in. :rolleyes:

With the sale of goods act, you have to let the dealer attempt a repair and then if you fight it you have to prove the problem existed before you purchased it and then there's "betterment" if you do change it, they'll deduct a percentage for past use. :(

Think I would go for the repair first and see. ;) Do you think its the rear panel, with their known problems of splitting ?

Edited by Gaz40
  • Like 1

Sorry to read of your troubles PaulR.

I had a one year old Lunar with 100% damp at the kitchen window.

Insufficient sealant and water had entered via the screws that held the window bar onto the van side.

Took three weeks to repair as the entire side had to be stripped and wall board renewed. All under warranty.

Is it the shower or water supply/drain piping?

Hi Gaz, being well aware of the rear panel problems I've regularly checked for cracked or splits the guy today confirmed the rear panel was okay. I cannot see any breaks in the sealant so it's wait and see when it's stripped out.

Just its very disappointing the whole solid and dry sales blerb was a decider in going for this caravan. Both me and my wife agree we don't want to fly in any aeroplane with its wings stuck on with this stuff and as for a boat! Well I guess it will have a bilge pump. .. maybe it's an option on 2015 caravans.

• Like 1

Hi Super, the pipes are on the other side with no leaks visible, my 2011 Elddis was supplied with faulty water fittings so I'm quite vigilant in checking for leaks from pipes.

Back in the 90's I had a Lunar that the shower leaked needing a wall repair at the factory, the delivery driver crashed the caravan on its way back! ! Sorted.

Hi Paul, I feel for you. Mine has been at the dealers now for over two months due to the amount of work that has to be done. I don't know if you can go down the path of false advertising, as no doubt like myself you purchased the van on there sales pitch of strong, light and dry. It's laughable really,Strong,well my floor was collapsing from the bathroom to the kitchen. Solid,well it might be after they reinforce the floor with a extra box frame they are having to fit. And Dry,well as you have shown far from it.

It's not as though its bad enough that that these problems are happening,but the way Elddis have been dragging there heals and questioning the dealers claims,just adds insult to injury.

I hope you get it all sorted, and I would like to think that David W would read your post and go back and take drastic action. But what I and many others have experienced with Elddis I wouldn't hold my breath.

Hi Scoobz, well your problems are worse than mine, an estimate of about one week to sort it out, but what is worrying is my local agent who does various makes said that he is fully booked up to the 3 week of Jan doing damp caravans! How bad is that.

Thinking about a motorhome, don't know if motorhomes are that much better traditionally MH were stronger built.

Hope your happy when you get your caravan back.

All the new build techniques still have joints and that means using a sealant. There lies the problem and it's usually how it's applied and who by. No guarantee that a MH will be any better or any worse than a 'van.

How awful - that is a huge reading

Don't blame you for getting rid - problem is what do you get next. Most makes seem to have these horror stories of practically new vans leaking like sieves

It's up to a court how long you get to reject, with or without cash difference for 'use' please do not let a dealer tell you it is 6 months. The 6 months in the act refers to burden of proof. Not a time limit. Unfortunately this 'grey' area is one that some dealer exploit. Each case is judged on it's merits.

SOGA covers inherent faults for 6 years and I would think that damp is an inherent fault. One of the reasons why you get a 6 year damp warranty with caravans as manufactuers know they will be on a loser if they try and challenge it. However it seems your dealer is on the case.

SOGA states; 1 Wherever goods are bought they must "conform to contract". This means they must be as described, fit for purpose and of satisfactory quality (i. e. not inherently faulty at the time of sale).

Hi Scoobz, well your problems are worse than mine, an estimate of about one week to sort it out, but what is worrying is my local agent who does various makes said that he is fully booked up to the 3 week of Jan doing damp caravans! How bad is that.

Thinking about a motorhome, don't know if motorhomes are that much better traditionally MH were stronger built.

Hope your happy when you get your caravan back.

Sorry to hear your news, and hope you get it fixed properly.

We've got an Elddis version of your 'van, haven't suffered with damp (thank goodness) but were one of those with the cracked rear panel - found 2 weeks after taking delivery. So know how devastating it feels when what is supposed to be our relaxing hobby turns to a nightmare.

Like you, we thought about the Motor home route, but couldn't find a definitive answer as to whether they are stronger - my thinking being that weight maybe less of an issue in a MH so maybe they use heavier gauge aluminium or thicker ABS panels. One suggestion was a panel van - having looked I agree they are clever in terms of design, but a bit short on internal space.

Good luck.

We've got an Elddis version of your 'van, haven't suffered with damp (thank goodness) but were one of those with the cracked rear panel - found 2 weeks after taking delivery. So know how devastating it feels when what is supposed to be our relaxing hobby turns to a nightmare.

My Elddis had a cracked rear panel too. Booked it in with dealer and it was changed. No different from any other warranty repair. Certainly not a nightmare. :mellow:

• Like 1

Just collected my caravan after its first service 70 to 98% damp in the back of the caravan.

I don't consider this to be damp more WET!

So much for DRY!

I hope you get sorted Paul. .........My previous Elddis Odyssey at 5th service found 100% damp. We knew it was damp but shocked at the reading! Wall was spongy to touch and you could actually feel the wetness.

Really do hope all gets sorted out. ......

Finger crossed, I'm confident in the Caravan Clinic ability to fix the caravan its only i have no idea where the damp is getting into the caravan. When the caravan is in getting repaired I intend to call in for a look and hopefully see exactly the source of the problem.

Thanks for the messages I'll update when things happen.

• Like 2