Added U S B Power Sockets To Our Coachman

I wanted to add USB power sockets to our Coachman Pastiche 520 2014 to charge our phones and various gadgets. I found some good ideas on this forum but pieced this together myself.
As in the pictures. ....original spec had a single 12V Aux socket with Sat and aerial connections where the TV can go. I had a USB aux socket adapter but it annoyed me not having permanent USB sockets!
Cut two more holes and changed to a c-line 3-way faceplate to accommodate the addition of a c-line double switch and a c-line blanking plate with hole cut for a 5V 2. 1A double USB power socket that runs off 12V. One switch now controls power to the Aux socket, and the other controls power to the USB socket that glows blue when powered.
In this case it was safe, with the additional loading, to extend the wiring to the original Aux socket to power both the Aux socket and USB sockets via the double switch and so also works off EHU.
Quite pleased with the result so thought I'd share. Wife shrugged her shoulders with indifference.

Coachman Pastiche 520 2014 before USB sockets added.

Permenant USB power sockets added to Coachman Pastiche 520 2014

• Like 3

2014 Coachman Pastiche 520/4 | 2013 Freelander 2 HSE

Well worth the work .

i think we will see more USB sockets as standard on new vans .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

I wanted to add USB power sockets to our Coachman Pastiche 520 2014 to charge our phones and various gadgets. I found some good ideas on this forum but pieced this together myself.
As in the pictures. ....original spec had a single 12V Aux socket with Sat and aerial connections where the TV can go. I had a USB aux socket adapter but it annoyed me not having permanent USB sockets!
Cut two more holes and changed to a c-line 3-way faceplate to accommodate the addition of a c-line double switch and a c-line blanking plate with hole cut for a 5V 2. 1A double USB power socket that runs off 12V. One switch now controls power to the Aux socket, and the other controls power to the USB socket that glows blue when powered.
In this case it was safe, with the additional loading, to extend the wiring to the original Aux socket to power both the Aux socket and USB sockets via the double switch and so also works off EHU.
Quite pleased with the result so thought I'd share. Wife shrugged her shoulders with indifference.

I think they are all the same! :(

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Brilliant idea, been looking to purchase a twin usb cbe socket plate, can only source singles . Any chance you could tell me who supplied your twin usb ?

Luckily we are all different

i use a couple of these in my caravan:

http://www. mobilefun. co. uk/masterplug-surge-protected-1a-usb-and-mains-charger-black-p37797. htm

they work really well.

Cheers

Paul

Kia Sorento KX3 towing Bailey Unicorn Barcelona 2011

i use a couple of these in my caravan:

http://www. mobilefun. co. uk/masterplug-surge-protected-1a-usb-and-mains-charger-black-p37797. htm

they work really well.

Cheers

Paul

Depending on what you are charging these may be fine but won't charge an Ipad and iphone together for instance

Op nice installation

Edited by sunshinetours

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

Brilliant idea, been looking to purchase a twin usb cbe socket plate, can only source singles . Any chance you could tell me who supplied your twin usb ?

Thanks! I sourced the twin USB power socket from:

http://www. 12voltplanet. co. uk/12v-24v-recessed-twin-usb-power-socket-5v-21a. html

This is 2. 1A max - so for 2 devices it's shared 1A each. Sufficient for me.

I've been happy with the service from this company. Will supply small quantities of cable etc. I have no connection. (excuse the unintentional pun).

I ditched the faceplate that came with it and dremeled a hole in a c-line blanking plate that are easily available online. The blue light is quite bright (funky, but one reason I put a switch on it) - so now doubles as a night light for our 2 year old!

2014 Coachman Pastiche 520/4 | 2013 Freelander 2 HSE

Depending on what you are charging these may be fine but won't charge an Ipad and iphone together for instance

Op nice installation

They work fine if left overnight. Obviously not enough power for short charges but certainly keeps them charged enough whilst away.

Certainly would prefer the installation of the op, but these are a good compromise.

Cheers

Paul

Kia Sorento KX3 towing Bailey Unicorn Barcelona 2011

I think they are all the same! :(

Wives or U. S. B. Sockets ? :D

• Like 1

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

What would be the ramifications of plugging a phone [ HTC in my case] that is supplied with a 1 Amp rated USB/AC adaptor into the featured 2. 1 Amp rated socket?

Just wondering if the phone itself regulates if needed, or does it charge too fast for its own good?

Two things matter when charging something. The voltage represents the force pushing current in. Current is therefore passive, determined by the resistance of the item being charged. If there is 2. 1A available but the device only needs 1A provided the voltage, the force pushing it in is within the limits that the item can take then it just takes 1A. The current only matters if the source can't provide enough. If the voltage is too high then, yes, it can overcharge but circuitry can usually limit that. If it's way too high then the magic smoke comes out and it is no more.

From an engineering point of view, think of voltage as water pressure and current as flow.

Edited by BFM

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

Thanks; so as the USB source ought to be regulated to 5 Volts and the phone simply takes the amps it is designed to accept. One presumes as the supplied charger is 1 amp a figure of that or some lower value is taken, even if the source could do better.

That all seems to make sense, thanks.

I had thought of fitting the Screwfix double socket and USB outlet at home, never thought of fitting one in the caravan though,

Only problem with the screwfix item is that it's only brushed steel and all my sockets at home are white and in the van brown!

http://www. screwfix. com/p/lap-13a-2-gang-switched-socket-usb-charger-port-brushed-steel-flat-plate/14309

Great idea though )

Jim

Added note:

(just found Amazon and eBay options of white 2 Gang Switched Socket & USB Chargers, plus one of the eBay options includes a specific "Apple" type port.)

Edited by JamesF

"keep your motor running"

caravan: Avondale Avocet ( 2006) - tow car: Renault Laguna (2007) - play car: Mercedes 300SL (1988)

We thought of doing similar and adding USB sockets, but found using a 12v adaptor into the cigarette socket a lot simpler and less hassle as most of the time we are on 240v. Nice neat job though.

• 2 months later...

Going to add one of these to the back of the kitchen floor cabinet: http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/301395824145?_trksid=p2055119. m1438. l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT bit pricier than just a standard socket etc but for usability both when popped up with things plugged in but also been able to save space when nothing is. :)

Regards,

• Like 1

Going to add one of these to the back of the kitchen floor cabinet: http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/301395824145?_trksid=p2055119. m1438. l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT bit pricier than just a standard socket etc but for usability both when popped up with things plugged in but also been able to save space when nothing is. :)

Regards,

That looks really nice but would still require quite a bit of space beneath the work surface. I've just purchased one these: http://www. bmstores. co. uk/products/eveready-2-socket-extension-lead-with-2-usb-chargers-294659 which functionality wise is the same thing but with zero installation time and a lot less money.

That looks really nice but would still require quite a bit of space beneath the work surface. I've just purchased one these: http://www. bmstores. co. uk/products/eveready-2-socket-extension-lead-with-2-usb-chargers-294659 which functionality wise is the same thing but with zero installation time and a lot less money.

Hi Ribs,

No worries, different strokes for different folks as the saying goes. :) The only reason we're picking this is we only have one measly single gang plug socket in the kitchen area above the worktop and there's enough space behind the thin cupboard it would sit above when used and below at the back when not. :)

Just thought I'd post the above style in as a varying idea for others to see in future, who may come in to this thread and it's good to share, it's how I've learnt so much. ... with still so much to keep learning where touring caravanning is concerned.

Have a great week all.

Regards,

• Like 1

We only have one mains socket up the front of the van and with us both habing phones, tablets, kindle's, mifi etc was having to use a four way adaptor to charge everything which was a bit messy. So I installed two of these either side and they work perfectly. I also bought 4 usb cables to leave in the van, no we don't need to remember to pack our mains chargers when we go away!

http://pages. ebay. com/link/?nav=item. view&id=331287631591&alt=web

• Like 1

<p>2007 Sterling Cruach Cuillin & 2016 Volvo XC60 SE D4 190

Just thought I'd post the above style in as a varying idea for others to see in future, who may come in to this thread and it's good to share, it's how I've learnt so much. ... with still so much to keep learning where touring caravanning is concerned.

I wasn't knocking your find (I clicked the like button), I think it's great if you have the space under the worktop. Unfortunately the fridge is under ours :(

Edited by ribs99

• 2 weeks later...

Two things matter when charging something. The voltage represents the force pushing current in. Current is therefore passive, determined by the resistance of the item being charged. If there is 2. 1A available but the device only needs 1A provided the voltage, the force pushing it in is within the limits that the item can take then it just takes 1A. The current only matters if the source can't provide enough. If the voltage is too high then, yes, it can overcharge but circuitry can usually limit that. If it's way too high then the magic smoke comes out and it is no more.

From an engineering point of view, think of voltage as water pressure and current as flow.

Does this mean that I can charge my 'phone from the tap?

Why don't you go right ahead and try? I take no responsibility for the damage your phone will suffer. :rolleyes:

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice job Rich. I particularly like the 12 volt source for the USB so can be used when rallying as well.

Gobur Carousel 12/2 TD

Coachman Amara 380/2

Swift Challenger Hi Style 425 pushing a Ford Kuga AWD

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Again,

I indeed in the end decided due to price to go with your kind of setup, so I got these the other day: http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/251845839901?_trksid=p2059210. m2749. l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

However, I've fitted the plug end directly in to one of the caravans 240v plug sockets, then plugged in a USB lead to charge my phone and well I never. .. it actually dropped the charge in my phone from the moment it is connected and this is in either the 2. 1amp or 1amp USB slot. It says "Slow Charging" on my LG G2 but there's slow charging and backwards charging lol.

Have you seen this happen with yours, or does anybody else know why this might be happening and have a possible explanation please?

Regards,

• 4 weeks later...

We only have one mains socket up the front of the van and with us both habing phones, tablets, kindle's, mifi etc was having to use a four way adaptor to charge everything which was a bit messy. So I installed two of these either side and they work perfectly. I also bought 4 usb cables to leave in the van, no we don't need to remember to pack our mains chargers when we go away!

http://pages. ebay. com/link/?nav=item. view&id=331287631591&alt=web

How easy are these to fit? I am reasonably competent at DIY but electrics worry me.

Edited by totalnoob