Sign in to follow this  
Barstan

Mover Problem

Any advice would be appreciated on a mover / dealer problem.

The mover is a Royal Atlas fitted to a Bailey Unicorn Pamplona (TA) new July 2012. During last week manoeuver only 1 (N/s) mover functioned. The O/s mover would not move to the wheel, but the rotor was moving suggesting power was available.

Worse, today I find that Royal warranty (5 year) was taken by another firm, who now tell me that they will no longer honour Royal warranty.

Worse still, the supplying dealer, when you do eventually get through, waffled on, but evaded the issue. They referred to 2 year supply warranty, but when questioned as to Sale of Goods Act, they preferred to call back . I await the call back.

At best will then be expected to take the van back to this dealership and at then some repair to an obsolete product. that I can no longer have confidence in.

If the rotor is moving (and I assume you mean the drive shaft of the motor), it simply needs adjusting. They do need occasional adjustment either because of tyre wear or because the motor has moved from the position it was set at. Adjustment is fairly straight forward and should only take a few minutes each side.

• Like 2

If the rotor is moving (and I assume you mean the drive shaft of the motor), it simply needs adjusting. They do need occasional adjustment either because of tyre wear or because the motor has moved from the position it was set at. Adjustment is fairly straight forward and should only take a few minutes each side.

I took it that it was an auto engage problem? One roller was moving onto the tyre while the other wasn't? Perhaps Barstan could clarify this.

The Royal Warranty is usually 5 yrs . 2 yrs manufacturer and 3 yrs insurance . Check the connections on the box as the spade connectors come off with vibration or been knocked . 4 small spade connectors are for the actators and the 4 large are the drive motors. If the drive motors are working it sounds like possibly one of the small spades is loose or dirty contact .

If all else fails contact Autowfix.

http://www. autowfix. com/products/caravan-movers/

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

As the mover is covered under the Sale of Goods Act, you need to approach the supplier at this stage to get a resolution. If you get a third party to repair it, then you cannot claim under SOGA. One would expect a motor mover to last longer than two years!

The Royal Warranty is usually 5 yrs . 2 yrs manufacturer and 3 yrs insurance . Check the connections on the box as the spade connectors come off with vibration or been knocked . 4 small spade connectors are for the actators and the 4 large are the drive motors. If the drive motors are working it sounds like possibly one of the small spades is loose or dirty contact .

If all else fails contact Autowfix.

http://www. autowfix. com/products/caravan-movers/

Dave

Should of add Autowfix was Royal Movers supply and repair company so they might be able to help . Not sure how you stand as the warranty is under a insurance you might be covered under that . A few years ago I had to have a new box but it was covered under the insurance not Royal . Might be worth checking any paperwork you got with the caravan as there might be some on the mover .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

I took it that it was an auto engage problem? One roller was moving onto the tyre while the other wasn't? Perhaps Barstan could clarify this.

Having read the post again, I agree with you. Time for a nap I think. :o

I am not too sure on this, but if another company take over the warranty then surely legally they are responsible for the warranty? May be worth having a chat with your local Citizens Advice Bureau. Cost nothing and may save you a fair bit of money.

HI,

Its possible for enough power to get through to make the motor rotate but not to move a 1 ton plus caravan, so as others have posted - check the connectors. If possible can you ( or a friend ) check the voltage of the motor under load and compare it with the other motor ? ( would need to test as near the motor as possable.)

david

How does this unit engage the rollers to the tyre with a 3rd and 4 th motor?

My mover of a different make has this arrangement.

Whilst having a service one year the mechanic told me these engaging motors sometimes stick and do not run he showed me to remove a small end cap over motor shaft and give shaft a turn with small spanner to free motor rotor.

Does OP have this sort of arrangement?

Hi not sure if this helpful information, I had the same problem with a truma on a twin axle, one motor not working, took it back to the dealer who fitted it (Was 5 year old ) after check it with a run test ?he advise a new complete mover under the heading a replacement motor cost £200 + labour cost, and in a short while the other motor may go the same way? The new mover was self ingageing, and with less then a week before we were off to France we had little choice. However I requested all the old mover parts. On my return it was some month before I got it up on the bench to have a closer look. (my intention to flog any good bits on e-bay) What I found was a simple broken bush wire!!!

So worth checking out, I put the failure down to poor mounted rubber cap, which allow water in to the bush cap

Best of luck Bob

How does this unit engage the rollers to the tyre with a 3rd and 4 th motor?

My mover of a different make has this arrangement.

Whilst having a service one year the mechanic told me these engaging motors sometimes stick and do not run he showed me to remove a small end cap over motor shaft and give shaft a turn with small spanner to free motor rotor.

Does OP have this sort of arrangement?

A motor to engage the roller and a motor for the roller drive is in each unit. I had the same problem but because I fitted my own I knew where to look . Each unit has 2x sets of red and black cables the small are the engagement motor and the large are the drive motors.

Mine was a loose spade connector that just need a little squeeze with pliers to tighten it and push back on . I would think it's the same problem as it is only 2 yrs old .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

You are on a sticky wicket over warranty. The SOGA gives you rights over the dealer but no specific timescale. A court can decide on whatever it considers reasonable. You say the maker gave 2 years warranty and 3 years insurance, the court may well view this as defining reasonable as 2 years. The insurance element depends very much on the precise wording of the contracts, the circumstances of the transfer and who the insurer was.

By all means try claiming off either or both, but don't hold your breath!

You are on a sticky wicket over warranty. The SOGA gives you rights over the dealer but no specific timescale. A court can decide on whatever it considers reasonable. You say the maker gave 2 years warranty and 3 years insurance, the court may well view this as defining reasonable as 2 years. The insurance element depends very much on the precise wording of the contracts, the circumstances of the transfer and who the insurer was.

By all means try claiming off either or both, but don't hold your breath!

Insurence Ombudsman could he be consulted and give a verdict on the Insurence companies handling of this?

All, apology fir late replies, This time of year is all work. thank you some really good comments and items to check, especially was working fine during hitch up.

In fairness the dealer has called me back, and " believes a solution". We shall see. It was indeed Autowdix who informed that they no longer honoured the Royal warranty. With the dealer made aware of their responsibility under Sale of Goods Act, hence the possible "solution"

Sign in to follow this