Caravan Talk

Halohodge

A fellow CT member said he would be staying at Nattersee in Austria at the same time as us so I went looking for him from his car and caravan compo. We spent a very pleasant evening over a meal with him and his wife. However I had done my homework and checked out his posts before going looking. He didn't have that advantage with me!!

As far as letting burglars know we are away I feel the missing caravan off the front garden with a patch of longer grass where it was is a bit of a give away.

Edited by LongTimeCaravaner

A fellow CT member said he would be staying at Nattersee in Austria at the same time as us so I went looking for him from his car and caravan compo. We spent a very pleasant evening over a meal with him and his wife. However I had done my homework and checked out his posts before going looking. He didn't have that advantage with me!!

As far as letting burglars know we are away I feel the missing caravan off the front garden with a patch of longer grass where it was is a bit of a give away.

The absence of the van from its normal location is "a bit of a give away", but only to the lowlife who pass by down your street. Organised thieves do their research hidden by the anonymity of the net, and cast their net much wider.

I'm perfectly happy to have a sticker in a side window. My only proviso is that there is nothing in the front or the rear window of either car or motorhome that could obstruct my view when driving.

Here are just a few that have graced my outfit's windows over the years.

Sticker - 2.jpg Sticker - 3.jpg Sticker - 4.jpg Sticker - 5.jpg

Sticker - 1.jpg Sticker - 6.jpg Sticker - 7.jpg Sticker - 8.jpg

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Why is everyone so perfect on these forums, if everybody behaved like they say they do, there would'nt be any friendly banter. Also it's amazing when you put a topic on the forum, example: CT, would you disclose your a member get sidetracked to burglary, where will it lead next Scottish Referendom.

Why is everyone so perfect on these forums, if everybody behaved like they say they do, there would'nt be any friendly banter. Also it's amazing when you put a topic on the forum, example: CT, would you disclose your a member get sidetracked to burglary, where will it lead next Scottish Referendom.

Hardly sidetracked, as unfortunately burglary may be a consequence of disclosing too much personal information. We're not all the same, and so our concerns in a given situation will vary according to our experience in life. Surely discussion of such as this is what forums are for.

Saying you're a member of CT alone holds few risks, but if that disclosure then leads to revealing online, time and place for your holidays, combined with your home address, then it's time to review your action.

As I have said before, I am happy to let others know that I am a member of this organisation, or that club, but I will not publish online such information as would jeopardise my security.

Gordon.

Fourwinds Hurricane 31D Motorhome. Also MGTF135 1. 8i Roadster (fun) & Volvo V70 3.2Ltr LPG (everyday car)
Unless otherwise stated, my posts will be my personal thoughts and have the same standing as any other member of Caravan and Motorhome Talk.

Hardly sidetracked, as unfortunately burglary may be a consequence of disclosing too much personal information. We're not all the same, and so our concerns in a given situation will vary according to our experience in life. Surely discussion of such as this is what forums are for.

Saying you're a member of CT alone holds few risks, but if that disclosure then leads to revealing online, time and place for your holidays, combined with your home address, then it's time to review your action.

As I have said before, I am happy to let others know that I am a member of this organisation, or that club, but I will not publish online such information as would jeopardise my security.

Gordon.

:goodpost:

Despite being responsible for Caravan Talk, I've no issue with putting my name or picture on here :) Have met a couple of people out and about who've recognised me as I run past a local campsite. Always happy to stop and chat and, as on the forum, take a bit of feedback, whether good or bad (almost always good though).

I don't think the majority know that Caravan Talk has been built almost entirely on member feedback and is completely independent. The caravanners make this club and have a lot more say in it's running than some can believe. As for the size of this little club, although we only have 44,000 registered members, and less active posters, we saw 370,000 visits in July this year. Like most forums, if you consider our readers to be our members as well (much as any magazine would), then we're at least 250,000 strong, but probably a lot more than that!

I wouldn't advertise my address or anything silly like that, but I'm also happy for people to actually meet me in real life, so if you see someone running past a particular campsite that looks like my pic then say hello. At the worst, you'll look a bit daft (and don't we all at some point) :D

Tim
Developer | Caravan Talk

Now 'character theft' - that could be the next biggy - are we ready for duplicate honks?

Now that would sort the worlds problems out :D

H.

Mine is not going anywhere as it's (a) static. ...

HAPPY 1000th POST TO ME!!

H.

He isn't the only one, is he!

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

but the majority put their outfits in their sig

. And some encourage others to do so! B)

But yes I ave a CT sticker in the front window of the 'van (the one in the rear window fell off :angry: ) and a CT hitcgh cover.

Still to meet another member on site though

But then again I do use C&CC sites which seem less popular among the folk on here

Edited by Ich

. And some encourage others to do so! B)

But yes I ave a CT sticker in the front window of the 'van (the one in the rear window fell off :angry: ) and a CT hitcgh cover.

Still to meet another member on site though

But then again I do use C&CC sites which seem less popular among the folk on here

How do you come to that conclusion, I have never heard that CT member are mostly Caravan Club members, I am in both,apart from the fact that they have more member so pro rata that might be correct.

Obviously not Geoff, 296 to go so best get cracking. Now where's the latest 'dogs/kids on site thread'?

. .or we can start another RP v The Germans. ..that's always good for a few dozen. ...

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Reading through the posts. .. its ironic that some wouldn't disclose they are from here. ... but the majority put their outfits in their sig. :)

??? Is that suggesting that there is a security risk in stating your outfit? I just see it as helpful to those reading my posts. I have read many posts which do not make contextual sence because that info is missing. .

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

??? Is that suggesting that there is a security risk in stating your outfit? I just see it as helpful to those reading my posts. I have read many posts which do not make contextual sence because that info is missing. .

John

Not at all, I just thought it ironic that those who said they would not say to anyone that they were from this forum, as already mentioned by one person when he knew another member was going to be on the same campsite as him, he researched that member so knew who he would be. . the other member did not do such a thing. I was just thinking that from when people say they are going somewhere, another person could just make a note of their outfit and walk around looking for that same outfit. That was all.

• 2 months later...

I've had a CT sticker in my van's rear window for more than two years. No one has ever remarked on it neither have I seen any others.

This post which I put on back in October needs amending. When I arrived at Camping Internacional Aranjuez I was backing my van onto a pitch between some trees. A guy came out of his van to guide me back and when I was positioned he told me he'd just been reading my blog. It transpired that he saw my CT sticker and also recognised me from a selfie. Small world!

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

This post which I put on back in October needs amending. When I arrived at Camping Internacional Aranjuez I was backing my van onto a pitch between some trees. A guy came out of his van to guide me back and when I was positioned he told me he'd just been reading my blog. It transpired that he saw my CT sticker and also recognised me from a selfie. Small world!

Result! A happy chance meeting. I won't give up hope of spotting another CT sticker :) .

I've started reading and enjoying your blog. Thank you.

Gordon

I've started reading and enjoying your blog. Thank you.

Thank you Gordon. It makes it worthwhile although it's more about mental stimulation exercise than anything. :blink:

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com