Bailey Return To Factory For Damp Bathroom Unicorn 2.

Alan Stanley

I know this has been covered of sorts by various posts on various topic titles. Perhaps now is the time to collate them under one umbrella. It is difficult if not impossible to trawl the forum to get a comprehensive overview as some have been multiple postings.

Many of us have suffered from the poor design and installation of the shower in particular causing damp to permeate the floor area in the bathroom and migrate to under the lino to the living area. Some have claimed or been told by the dealers that the sealing of the back floor to wall join is also a causation factor. At the Bailey Owners Club works rally it was a common subject of conversation and displeasure.

I know that my dealers have had many to repair by drying out and re seal round the shower. I also know that this has been less then successful in some cases, Mine included. Others have had the vans returned to Bailey to be repaired.

Can we have some replies from anyone who has had this problem.

What were you told as regards the causation factor.

Was it dealer or Bailey fixed.

How long did it take.

How successful was it as far as you know.

What was the state of the van on return from Dealer or Bailey.

How satisfied are you that the repair has been and will remain successful.

Are you aware of any change in the design/installation with the vans being returned from Bailey.

With early models of these vans about to come up for the 2nd service I suspect that many who have had remedial work done will be living more in hope than expectation that it was successful, hopefully we shall see.

I personally am convinced that it is simply not possible to reliably seal this shower unit in this particular installation. This type of shower unit should be sealed only on the outside of the structure (confirmed by multiple checks on installation instructions for domestic units). It is not possible to stop water actually getting into the structure of the screens etc and they should be designed to allow this to drain back safely inside the tray. As it is, sealing from the inside prevents this drainage, so the water escapes to the outside, and you can't seal round the outside because -

a. you cannot get at it and

b the shower tray and joins to the walls have to be sealed to prevent water running between the two.

Also add in the vanity unit covering up the corner which is in itself not designed to prevent water going through things like the tap hole and that you cannot even check it without dismantling the whole thing and it is a disaster all round. I could be wrong but everything I have discovered so far convinces me I'm not.

We had damp on the floor of the bathroom on the first outing. One visit back to the dealer who sealed the outside of the shower tray to the rear wall to stop water in the door grooves from escaping out of the tray. 16 months on and no re-occurance. We are ralliers so there is a lot of use of the shower.

We had damp on the floor of the bathroom on the first outing. One visit back to the dealer who sealed the outside of the shower tray to the rear wall to stop water in the door grooves from escaping out of the tray. 16 months on and no re-occurance. We are ralliers so there is a lot of use of the shower.

Thank you. Has it been tested properly by probes through the lino since ?

Edited by Alan Stanley

I had the leaking senerio and it was a dealer fix - they put a new tray and grey vanity unity in and it seems to have been successful - I have removed the wet box tray under the bed, slit the Lino along the wall and regurlarly peel it back to check for damp / water ( especially after the shower has been used) / this used to be saturated with soapy water. I took the laundry box out twice and have a piece of Lino that I peel back to check

I have also removed the covering on the alde pipe work running around the back wall to inspect for leaks.

All very time consuming and what may appear to be over the top however when my checks are done and I probe around the base of the shower tray and toilet and don't detect damp I am extremely relieved and happy that we have a leak free van -we both love everything else about the van and use it all year round regularly - rarely using site facilities.

Now also aware of two more factory returns that are not on this Forum. Both so bad that the Lino had started to bubble and rot. Suggest those that can check their shower/toilet and under bed areas

Hi Alan

Seal around shower, assuming bottom of grey vanity unit. Never suffered wet laundry bag. All the moisture got trapped between floor and lino. Damp across entire width of bathroom. Highest readings 80% near toilet pedestal.

Bailey at Factory.

How long did it take.

5 weeks

Too early to say. Not used van since return.

OK apart from dusty bootprints on mattress.

I have no reason to doubt that the repair has been done well and that all should be fine now but too early to tell. If its a fundamental design flaw as you suggest then it probably won't.

Are you aware of any change in the design/installation with the vans being returned from Bailey.

No.

Pictures of my dam bathroom in thread here

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/94992-u2-barcelona-damp-in-bathroom/

Andy

Thank you Andymc that is another three vans. Running total 8 vans.

Edited by Alan Stanley

Hi Alan

Seal around shower, assuming bottom of grey vanity unit. Never suffered wet laundry bag. All the moisture got trapped between floor and lino. Damp across entire width of bathroom. Highest readings 80% near toilet pedestal.

Bailey at Factory.

How long did it take.

5 weeks

Too early to say. Not used van since return.

OK apart from dusty bootprints on mattress.

I have no reason to doubt that the repair has been done well and that all should be fine now but too early to tell. If its a fundamental design flaw as you suggest then it probably won't.

No.

Pictures of my dam bathroom in thread here

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/94992-u2-barcelona-damp-in-bathroom/

Andy

Did the floor come back dry, or was it replaced?

Alan have you included Formula Forde in your list?

Edited by xtrailman

Floor was dried out. Not replaced.

Bailey rectifications carried out to affected floor areas is where the floor boards are dried out and then assessed whether a board treatment/replacement would be required.

The Floor board is treated to BP60 standard which relates to the level of adhesive which acts as the sealant so the board may not be aesthetically pleasing but will be absolutely fine and if after testing is found to be of acceptable standards treated with an appropriate sealant. If after drying out the boarding it is found to be of sub standard quality a board replacement would be undertaken.

Did the floor come back dry, or was it replaced?

Alan have you included Formula Forde in your list?

Re FF not sure, have to re collate when I have the time, which is not now. It will be interesting to see what Bailey say if we still own it when it goes back to the factory. It is obvious that the large dealers based in Nottinghamshire and Huddersfield did not do anything like a proper job. From the pattern of damp now found (which matches exactly the original pattern) It is proven they did nothing like a proper job in the first place.

Evidence that I do not wish to publish prior to my 'in depth' conversations with them tells me that they did not dry it out properly in the first place. Of course my knowledge of physics and the way water travels through timber and plywood could be wrong.

A tale of wow, I am about to tell!

Creeping death for caravans has appeared in our Orion again.

This time at the rear between the sink and shower along the rear of the van!

We do not use the shower so that rules out shower leakage, hose clips have been checked on supply pipes and drainage again all ok!

35% Rising to 45%

Dealer was good and sent the guy out who sealed up the front!

we have not towed this Caravan in the wet since December 2013, it has to be a standing leak from somewhere.

Awaiting dealer warranty claim acceptance

Fixed shower leak myself with plug of silicon at both ends of shower door track last spring after noticing water in bottom of laundry box - this stopped water pouring out and has since been dry .

Last Octobers 1st service showed 30% damp around bathroom floor - advised by my mobile service man (Bailey warranted) to leave and see if it dried out, but officially recorded incase we needed to claim later.

Service this October gave acceptable damp readings throughout bathroom (and rest of van).

I'm now a happy chappie :D !

• 2 weeks later...

My van is now back from the factory - this weekend.

I have not been able to check the shower no longer leaks but given the work completed and the very high standard of the van on its return. I would fully expect it to have been.

Back to the questions asked

A) not advised, but I want to find out.

A) 4 x dealer. then back to the factory

How long did it take.

A) 7 weeks

A) Have not tested yet but given the work carried out I would be in no doubt it's been fixed.

A) I would say it was to a high standard. I had a few other items rectified, new CPL veneer replaced with stick on paper, some excess glue on cupboards I had to remove.

A) I will contact customer services to get a description ofte actual fix. Repair work is good.

A) none can be seen and is like it came from the factory again. Before hand all the ends had been fully sealed up by the dealer but it still leaked.

Only time will tell now, once we get using it. ......I feel like a caravaner again.

All,

There is an item on the repair "floor to side re-seal carried out"

This is probably what Alan had picked up in his opening of this topic. "Some have claimed or been told by the dealers that the sealing of the back floor to wall join is also a causation factor"

I think my issues were 2 causes. The water I could see under the tray and damp laundry basket was primarily down to the shower tray and ends not being sealed.

Once these were sealed by the dealer the water then went into the floor and caused the damage I had in the end. Unfortunately after the dealer repair when I could see no water I thought they had fixed it. Only to be shocked a couple of months later to find the damp problem.

• 3 months later...

My Unicorn 2 Valencia had its 2nd service today, carried out by an independent NCA approved service engineer. He has reported damp in the shower room floor of 30% between the shower unit and the bedroom bulkhead reaching under the bed and 40% on the floor where the shower unit attaches to the rear bulkhead. More than a year ago we had severe leaks from the shower, resulting in the laundry box needing replacing as the bottom had become saturated and the veneer peeled off.

The dealer repaired the leaks with sealant. Since then. as I did not see any surface leaks I assumed the problem was solved. However the levels of damp in the floor revealed today make it clear the problem has simply been redirected. Our van was last used in October and the service guy told me that it was almost certain that had he damp tested it then, the readings would have been considerably higher as it has had several months to dry out.

He has advised that the shower unit needs to be removed and the floor exposed to ascertain the state of the wood prior to repair, and I will be calling on the dealer tomorrow to see what will be done. This is particularly annoying as the problems with these showers in the U2 are well documented and increasingly people are reporting problems with 'repaired' washrooms. We have heard of people losing the use of their vans for weeks while being repaired and coming at the beginning of our touring season this is the last thing we wanted. We are not prepared to miss any of our trips so I will be telling the dealer that we won't take our van in until they give us a definite timescale for repairing the fault.

Although we like the van, and we bought new when I took partial retirement as we wanted it to be our last van, the washroom has always been its weak spot due to very poor design and intrinsic weaknesses but we were prepared to put up with it. Now, given the ongoing issues with the shower we are not so sure that this will be our 'forever' van after all. We don't want it repaired only to have to worry that in years to come the same fault will occur. If the only way the shower can be leak proof is by clagging it with silicon that is an intrinsic design fault given the flexion and movement in a caravan,the shower should have been a fully sealed unit. I know this is a Bailey forum, but does anyone have experience of other makes which might be better as a long term option?

Bailey do say that the caravan must be available for repair within 5 weeks of the problem being found, or words to that effect, its on the website.

You really do have my sympathy, something I don't have a lot off, but any leak under a shower tray is the worst case scenario IMO.

My front locker leaks could be easily managed and always visible with the trays removed.

Hi BIGFAM, Silly question, but do you or have actually used your shower. I know its built in the van to be used, but some people like me are dirty b-----s. !!!!!!.ALAN

Hi BIGFAM, Silly question, but do you or have actually used your shower. I know its built in the van to be used, but some people like me are dirty b-----s. !!!!!!.ALAN

Yes we do use the shower, but it hasn't been used since last October, hence the service engineer's comments that the damp would have been even worse then.

What's particularly concerning is that the original leak was visible but since being 'repaired' we have never actually seen any sign of a leak but clearly the water has been re routed to leak out where we can't see it but is obviously going into the floor. So I would advise anyone with any model of U2 with the circular shower not to assume everything is OK just because you can't see any leaks from your shower!

Our Bailey Unicorn Valencia 2011 model in at the dealers with wet washroom floor. It has been stripped down to dry out, originally at the dealers in york, had to go to Catterick to do the work, but they ended up sending it to Tyneside branch. I am a little concerned that they are out of their depth and that it should have gone back to the factory. I assumed they would cut out the whole washroom floor, full depth, and replace. This is not the case. They take off the top layer of plywood and dry out the insulation and stick new plywood in a patch! Our shower leak was from the shower pipe, loose clip, which I found and tightened. damp came through the floor vinyl bubbled and black. ..YUCK I wish it was back at the factory, may suggest it even now

Bailey do say that the caravan must be available for repair within 5 weeks of the problem being found, or words to that effect, its on the website.

If only. ...Some hope when it takes up to 12 weeks (Baileys time scale !) to get any parts required.

• 3 months later...

Just a follow up to everyone. As sometimes these posts never seem to have a closure.

We have now used our van extensively 3 times now since repair. Always using the shower with the family each time. I have seen no water inside or coming out the back. It's been left in storage and there has been no damp. It's been serviced now and again the floor had no damp what so ever.

So all seems good from my point of view. Shame it never came this way from the factory.

But happy caravanning again. Look forward to the summer getaways.