Sign in to follow this  
shefchap

Roof Mounting Bikes On Volvo Suv Or Estate?

Ok, so we like to take bikes on our weekends away, and we tow our beloved caravan. Our son is of an age he likes to have his bike around, and we like to bike with him. .....so presently we take 3 bikes on the roof of our current Insignia estate car on most caravanning weekends. Climbing up to mount bikes on the estate is easy enough

But here's the issue, we're considering changing to a volvo xc70, but there's probably more xc60's around in the configuration we want (manual, diesel, 160 or 180bhp, and a particular colour my wife prefers. at a price we can afford), and we're usually in the market for used cars.

Although it's easier to get bikes on top of an XC70 as it's just an estate, I wonder if any of our forum friends regularly take bikes on top of an xc60 (or similar sized SUV)- and if so, what do you think ? Is it easy enough mounting the bikes on the XC60's roof?? Am I missing a trick that would make it just as easy and hence bring XC60's into the short-list? How do YOU go about getting bikes on top of your SUV?

Advice welcome thanks.

I have bought a 0. 5m high platform, currently on offer at B & Q for £25 to do the job.

At the caravan it's fine - I use the step, but it's at home before we drive to hitch up at storage I've had the problem.

Regularly take ours. On the roof of the sorento kx2. Use the caravan step. (It's an aftermarket two step metal one). Easy. Also have a small folding step for solo trips.

I'm the wrong side of 65 years and about 5 10 tall. Friend does the same at 5 6in onhis X3.

I use a small lightweight step ladder, which also comes in useful when erecting the awning.

I used to have Halfords bike racks, but I found mounting the bikes a bit awkward. Now I have Thule racks fitted and it's much easier.

Great -thanks everyone. Sounds simple enough.

Do you manage to reach the middle of the roof ok when using the steps, for the inner-most bike?

Go for the auto XC60 - an absolute hoot to drive !! I'm currently looking at bile racks for mine so will be interested in the outcome

I have the XC 70 geartronic and it tows beautifully. I don't take bikes but there are enough XC 70,s about at good prices . I presume you like manual for towing but I have found the geartronic to be much more relaxing and there is not much difference in mpg.

On my santa fe when loading the bikes onto the roof bike racks i use a two step ladder (i use that to reach to wash the roof aswell). But when onsite to load and unload i use the two step caravan step.

Oh and the two step is not referring to the dance :P

Great -thanks everyone. Sounds simple enough.

Do you manage to reach the middle of the roof ok when using the steps, for the inner-most bike?

I only load two bikes, so there is no middle one B)