Table Storage

Les Medes

We looked at a 2015 Unicorn recently and quite liked it until we found where the table is stored, flat against the back of the wardrobe wall, what a Kerfuffle to get it out every time you want to set up the table you have to shift all the hanging clothes !! to get at it, it put us off completely, what do other forum members think ?

Les

Is it any worse than underbed storage in some vans? They have to find somewhere to put it. Where do you suggest it goes then?

Is it any worse than underbed storage in some vans? They have to find somewhere to put it. Where do you suggest it goes then?

In a nice little compartment of its own, like the one we have ;)

I sort of agree, however depending on the layout of the van it would probably compromise something else like encroaching on kitchen space or even bed length. Unfortunately everything in a caravan is a compromise and what really upsets some people is a trivial inconvenience or something very desirable or essential to others.

As it happens we leave our table at home most of the time as we don't use it and it saves weight.

It's quite interesting going round the NEC listening to some of the praise, gripes, whinging etc that was going on.

One woman was very vociferous in berating van manufacturers for wasting space by putting a shower in their vans as she didn't use it and therefore couldn't see the point of having one and making sure that everyone around her knew it.

Dual fuel hobs had their fair share of praise or derision. TV mounting points had quite a lot of criticism, most manufacturers seemed to agree that about 19" was adequate whereas lots were bemoaning that their 22-32" televisions wouldn't fit. Several vans had the TV points where some people didn't want them. The varying heights of microwave ovens and even whether they should be fitted or not was also the subject of lively debate - some for and quite a few against.

For myself, I can't see the point of installing a solar panel unless you specifically want one so I'd rather £250 was knocked off the price of the van. Likewise I don't want to pay for an external gas point as I don't use one. A motor mover would be my choice as a standard fitment but I can understand that there are those who don' want one and don't want to pay for one either.

In the end we all have different priorities and what suits some is a deal breaker to others as it's often said, you can please some of the people some of the time but not all them all of the time

Edited by matelodave

I sort of agree, however depending on the layout of the van it would probably compromise something else like encroaching on kitchen space or even bed length. Unfortunately everything in a caravan is a compromise and what really upsets some people is a trivial inconvenience or something very desirable or essential to others.

As it happens we leave our table at home most of the time as we don't use it and it saves weight.

It's quite interesting going round the NEC listening to some of the praise, gripes, whinging etc that was going on.

One woman was very vociferous in berating van manufacturers for wasting space by putting a shower in their vans as she didn't use it and therefore couldn't see the point of having one and making sure that everyone around her knew it.

Dual fuel hobs had their fair share of praise or derision. TV mounting points had quite a lot of criticism, most manufacturers seemed to agree that about 19" was adequate whereas lots were bemoaning that their 22-32" televisions wouldn't fit. Several vans had the TV points where some people didn't want them. The varying heights of microwave ovens and even whether they should be fitted or not was also the subject of lively debate - some for and quite a few against.

For myself, I can't see the point of installing a solar panel unless you specifically want one so I'd rather £250 was knocked off the price of the van. Likewise I don't want to pay for an external gas point as I don't use one. A motor mover would be my choice as a standard fitment but I can understand that there are those who don' want one and don't want to pay for one either.

In the end we all have different priorities and what suits some is a deal breaker to others as it's often said, you can please some of the people some of the time but not all them all of the time

Trouble is, a table are what most folks use quite regularely. To me a table under a fix bed isn't the best and probably a health hazard for some. It should be designed for easy access regardless.

Now if its a impossibility to conveniently locate a table, for either location or weight distribution, maybe its time to think outside the box in redesigning tables and the way they fold and store.

Edited by Gaz40

Ours just has a little slot next to the veg racks under the sink, it takes up about 3" width from the cupboard, hardly a big deal, why would they put it somewhere awkward like under a bed or in a wardrobe!

Maybe it's time for one that pops up out of the floor like our sailing freinds?

post-55551-0-88619100-1413671426_thumb.jpg

I have noticed the U3 Barcelona has moved the table from under the bed in our U2 and I am going to move our one to the same place . I have measured it up and it all fits with just moving the shelf up and fitting a shorter mirror.

So some times there are improvements.

Roger

I have noticed the U3 Barcelona has moved the table from under the bed in our U2 and I am going to move our one to the same place . I have measured it up and it all fits with just moving the shelf up and fitting a shorter mirror.

So some times there are improvements.

Roger

Just be careful as the Alutech construction uses inserts behind the wallboard to give strong anchor points for furniture etc. Your caravan may have the same space, but may not have the wall strength to hold the table securely.

Thanks for the heads up, but none of the mounts on ether the new U3 or our van go in to the wall.

I took a load of photos of the U3 at the dealership and will be using basically the same as Bailey have to achieve

the table mount, with a few extra brackets added in for extra strength.

I have ordered some vinel wall covering from the dealership for our U2 so that It will all match.

When I get it done I will try and remember to put some photos on here.

Roger

In a nice little compartment of its own, like the one we have ;)

Exactly Gaz, our current van has an easy access compartment, no problem in extracting it

Les

We've had our U2 Cadiz 6 months now and been away 6 times in our first season of caravanning. Haven't used the table once. It's just dead weight in the locker below the bed and keeps falling off the brackets.

The pull-out table at the front is fine for the two of us, and when the awning's up we use the Isabella table. (Very good, by the way: can't stand wobbly tables and this one ain't!)

Next week I'll be taking the table out of the 'van and replacing it with something more worth its weight - like the waste pipe system recommended on this forum by the magnificent FlyingTog for use on serviced pitches. It's our first time on one next week at St. Ives.

As always, being a careful novice caravanner, I'll weigh the table and the pipe work and adjust my payload spreadsheet accordingly.

Another reason for us to keep our Pageant Vendee - the table has its own dedicated stowage next to the kitchen cupboards and is a doddle to extract / insert.

I have to say we so rarely use the big table in any of our recent vans - only the 2 of us. We use(d) the side dinette or table from the centre chest (depending on 'van). Sometimes think we should leave it at home. We even bought a chest for the current one ;)

When we had kids, or when the table formed the bed base in our early caravanning days, it was a different story, though!

I do agree that some table locations provided by some manufacturers on some layouts are mad and make it difficult/impossible to use and put away. Perhaps the 'designers' think once out and erected they are left out until you travel on to another site?

It's still a project in the head but I also hate the under bed storage for the table in the Valencia 2. Thoughts at the moment we are off to alde to have the rad fitted in the bathroom and the towel rail moved from the position next to the shower to the same as mark 1 Valencia on the left of the door as you go in.

Now if I leave the woodwork in place that hides the pipework to the existing towel rail position on the floor that leaves a nice slot for a table to slide in. i. e. behind the headboard. Bit of wood work and a couple of clips and I recon that's it problem solved. Table will slid in up against the headboard wall. Off the floor and out of the way. Also should be very stable.

Just wish that access was easier to get at the working bits I'll have to fix. Then the under bed locker can be modded to remove the bits that hold the table and get in my way when packing it. We shall see.

It's still a project in the head but I also hate the under bed storage for the table in the Valencia 2. Thoughts at the moment we are off to alde to have the rad fitted in the bathroom and the towel rail moved from the position next to the shower to the same as mark 1 Valencia on the left of the door as you go in.

Now if I leave the woodwork in place that hides the pipework to the existing towel rail position on the floor that leaves a nice slot for a table to slide in. i. e. behind the headboard. Bit of wood work and a couple of clips and I recon that's it problem solved. Table will slid in up against the headboard wall. Off the floor and out of the way. Also should be very stable.

Just wish that access was easier to get at the working bits I'll have to fix. Then the under bed locker can be modded to remove the bits that hold the table and get in my way when packing it. We shall see.

I like your thinking Alan, some pics would be great if you do it. Dead space, I knew it was there for something

Kev

We've had our U2 Cadiz 6 months now and been away 6 times in our first season of caravanning. Haven't used the table once. It's just dead weight in the locker below the bed and keeps falling off the brackets.

The pull-out table at the front is fine for the two of us, and when the awning's up we use the Isabella table. (Very good, by the way: can't stand wobbly tables and this one ain't!)

Next week I'll be taking the table out of the 'van and replacing it with something more worth its weight - like the waste pipe system recommended on this forum by the magnificent FlyingTog for use on serviced pitches. It's our first time on one next week at St. Ives.

As always, being a careful novice caravanner, I'll weigh the table and the pipe work and adjust my payload spreadsheet accordingly.

I agree - the table under the bed is a waste of space and we don't bother to take it now, but I wish they would redesign the pull out table and make it a little more robust and an inch higher.

We use a folding, adjustable height picnic table in the awning.