Damp Bathroom Floor Now Ok!

Landrovernut

Had leaking shower problem in my Valencia last year - fixed it myself but service found 30% damp in bathroom floor (Oct 2013). Just had 2nd year service done by my mobile man and floor now ok - no damp anywhere.

All you lot were going on about " must get it seen to" etc last year, but my man was right - he said it should dry out if you have fixed the leak - and it has - without having all the bathroom ripped apart. :)

Had leaking shower problem in my Valencia last year - fixed it myself but service found 30% damp in bathroom floor (Oct 2013). Just had 2nd year service done by my mobile man and floor now ok - no damp anywhere.

All you lot were going on about " must get it seen to" etc last year, but my man was right - he said it should dry out if you have fixed the leak - and it has - without having all the bathroom ripped apart. :)

Could be dry rot then :D

Hi, i thought 30% meant structural damage - weve got the same with floor at the front of our Valencia through side door leaking, just got warranty approval for new door + floor section replaced

Hi, i thought 30% meant structural damage - weve got the same with floor at the front of our Valencia through side door leaking, just got warranty approval for new door + floor section replaced

I would be inclined to certainly have the door replaced but would hold fire with the floor replacement as that is major and could give you more probs than you started with.

30% is not that wet - you get a 30% reading if you put the damp meter on the back of your hand.

Suggest you discuss it with your dealer and see if they are prepared to give the floor a few months to dry out and then do warranty work on floor later if it is still required. Thats assuming you haven't got blistering of the floor covering etc. (But perhaps they want the work!?)

I would be inclined to certainly have the door replaced but would hold fire with the floor replacement as that is major and could give you more probs than you started with.

30% is not that wet - you get a 30% reading if you put the damp meter on the back of your hand.

Suggest you discuss it with your dealer and see if they are prepared to give the floor a few months to dry out and then do warranty work on floor later if it is still required. Thats assuming you haven't got blistering of the floor covering etc. (But perhaps they want the work!?)

Hi thanks for input, moisture level on the upper ply is 50% + and reaching the middle of the van, having the floor section replaced doesnt seem such a big deal as just has new side wall fitted, looking forward to enjoying the van so far its been 3 years of hell

How does water dry out when covered with vinyl?

How does water dry out when covered with vinyl?

If you look carefully at the floor around the edge of the van (try seat lockers) you will see that the vinyl covering does not go right to the edge (you can see the plywood) allowing moisture to track out - the same way as it got in inittially - if covered with vinyl right to the edge then it wouldn't have got in to start with. The damp meter proved this.

If you look carefully at the floor around the edge of the van (try seat lockers) you will see that the vinyl covering does not go right to the edge (you can see the plywood) allowing moisture to track out - the same way as it got in inittially - if covered with vinyl right to the edge then it wouldn't have got in to start with. The damp meter proved this.

Wet rot doesn't "track out" once the ensigns take hold. surely it needs to be dried and treated, to stabilise the ply.

Maybe I'm wrong.

Was the damp meter used under the shower tray? And did you see the test.

I watched our mobile technician check for damp he forgot to check the side and front lockers, not that i'm bothered as I have my own meter, at the time 20% damp was still present.

I do hope all is well for you though, I hate damp as much as rust.

Wet rot doesn't "track out" once the ensigns take hold. surely it needs to be dried and treated, to stabilise the ply.

Maybe I'm wrong.

If wet rot had taken hold wouldn't the damp meter still give a high reading?! Wet rot needs wet conditions to exist.

If any plywood gets wet and then drys out again, it doesn't automatically get wet rot.

By the way ensigns are flags - I think you mean enzymes!!

Thanks for your comments but I am happy with normal readings around bathroom floor now.

If I throw a bucket of water over a piece of 4x2 then let it dry, it won't lose strength. Wood needs to stay wet to rot. Once the leak is fixed, if rot hasn't set in then it will be fine.

If wet rot had taken hold wouldn't the damp meter still give a high reading?! Wet rot needs wet conditions to exist.

If any plywood gets wet and then drys out again, it doesn't automatically get wet rot.

By the way ensigns are flags - I think you mean enzymes!!

Thanks for your comments but I am happy with normal readings around bathroom floor now.

Oops, sorry . ... my smart phone having a mind of its own, actually I think its smarter than my own.

Your happy with your results and that great, but logically how will the floor dry with moisture trapped, your vinyl was not lifted to allow the ply to dry. You may have a 3-5 mm gap of the vinyl to the wall mastic, but that's like putting a wet shirt out to dry, whilst putting it into a black bin bag and pulling just a cuff out to catch the air.

I was advised to treat my dried out plywood blackened areas with a rot preservative, to stop the "enzymes" he called bacteria going further into the new wood, especially if the area was going to be recovered (trays) with no ventilation. I still had a soft area, that was there before I used the preservative.

Again your happy, that's great but you did put the post up for comments and you've had replies from folks in exactly the same position, but with a different repair method.

Hope you keep dry.

Edited by Gaz40

Oops, sorry . ... my smart phone having a mind of its own, actually I think its smarter than my own.

Your happy with your results and that great, but logically how will the floor dry with moisture trapped, your vinyl was not lifted to allow the ply to dry. You may have a 3-5 mm gap of the vinyl to the wall mastic, but that's like putting a wet shirt out to dry, whilst putting it into a black bin bag and pulling just a cuff out to catch the air.

I was advised to treat my dried out plywood blackened areas with a rot preservative, to stop the "enzymes" he called bacteria going further into the new wood, especially if the area was going to be recovered (trays) with no ventilation. I still had a soft area, that was there before I used the preservative.

Again your happy, that's great but you did put the post up for comments and you've had replies from folks in exactly the same position, but with a different repair method.

Hope you keep dry.

Yep I'm happy, bathroom not ripped apart and no blistering of floor covering like some have had - thanks for that Gaz :)