Alde Touch Screen Control Panel Upgrade On Unicorn 2

Hairyspinner

Went to NEC Caravan Show this week & Alde were offering the Touch Screen Cotrol Panel for £75, thought it was a good deal, will get mine Monday plus ordered the AA battery back up kit. You contact the factory to order & they will do it at the show price.

The existing multi pin wiring socket is the same, but if Alde fit it for you they often put it in a different location because of the Bailey back plate, don't fancy that. Has anybody fitted one of these in the same place as the current digital panel? The Touch Screen is narrower than the Digital (with push buttons to the side) & it would mean modifying the back plate by filling in some holes & cutting out for the new one & re-spraying. The new panel does come with a back plate, any info would be useful.

Thanks.

What advantages are you getting for £75 ?! - I don't have a problem with the existing panel - I can control the heating, control the power source and switch it on and off - what more do you need?

What advantages are you getting for £75 ?! - I don't have a problem with the existing panel - I can control the heating, control the power source and switch it on and off - what more do you need?

Agree :-)

Don't find the digital screen very user friendly, the bottom row isn't that easy to set up for automatically setting up for day/night settings. Don't believe I am alone in this.

Fitting is a doddle and it's far better than the older type. When old panel is removed, you will need to take out a small amount of the ply so that the included backing plate will fit.

Fitting is a doddle and it's far better than the older type. When old panel is removed, you will need to take out a small amount of the ply so that the included backing plate will fit.

Is your caravan a Unicorn 1 or 2? Ours is a 2 with a plastic moulded back plate, top part goes over the volt meter, master switch buttons etc so lower half will have to be modified.

Is your caravan a Unicorn 1 or 2? Ours is a 2 with a plastic moulded back plate, top part goes over the volt meter, master switch buttons etc so lower half will have to be modified.

Apologies - never seen a 2's plate.

Don't find the digital screen very user friendly, the bottom row isn't that easy to set up for automatically setting up for day/night settings. Don't believe I am alone in this.

We no longer bother with the bottom row as the moment you unplug, all the settings are lost. Would prefer the newer touch screen also which retains its memory and that is a big bonus if you use night/day settings a lot. At the moment we do it manually.

We no longer bother with the bottom row as the moment you unplug, all the settings are lost. Would prefer the newer touch screen also which retains its memory and that is a big bonus if you use night/day settings a lot. At the moment we do it manually.

You can buy a battery back up for the Digital Panel, you need to wire it in to a permanently live 12v feed, then keeps your settings, kit is about £16 from Alde.

The Touch Screen can be backed up via a small kit, uses 2 x AA batteries.

You can buy a battery back up for the Digital Panel, you need to wire it in to a permanently live 12v feed, then keeps your settings, kit is about £16 from Alde.

The Touch Screen can be backed up via a small kit, uses 2 x AA batteries.

We looked at that but cannot find a 12v feed anywhere near the control panel. Nearest seems to be the 12v feeding the radio on the other side of the caravan?

We looked at that but cannot find a 12v feed anywhere near the control panel. Nearest seems to be the 12v feeding the radio on the other side of the caravan?

You don't need a 12 volt feed for the battery pack on the newer versions. It just plugs into the panel at the back as does the remote thermostat sensor.

Edited by Jslocks

I had a play with the latest panel in a Swift HT and did think it was very easy to use.

I think anyone who has a version 1 panel would find the new version an improvement. If mine broke I would fit the new version.

Ours is the original 3010 213 panel with a load of buttons on the right to set it up. I don't think the battery pack works with it for some reason, but may be mistaken. I think a totally new touch panel is in the vicinity of about £160 without fitting and that is just a bit too much for us!

Ours is the original 3010 213 panel with a load of buttons on the right to set it up. I don't think the battery pack works with it for some reason, but may be mistaken. I think a totally new touch panel is in the vicinity of about £160 without fitting and that is just a bit too much for us!

Sadly, I think you are right.

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/like/321531016272?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=t&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3. 0. 0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

Would still consider it though. Alde were doing a deal on an upgrade but not sure if that is still ongoing. Might be worth sending them an email.

It's awhile since I fitted my back up, if I remember correctly there's some largish wires near the control panel, I hooked into 2 of these OK

You don't need a 12 volt feed for the battery pack on the newer versions. It just plugs into the panel at the back as does the remote thermostat sensor.

The Digital panel needs a 12v feed, the Touch Screen has a small harness that takes 2 x AA batteries. Both back ups just plug into the back of the unit.

Sadly, I think you are right. http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/like/321531016272?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=t&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3. 0. 0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

Would still consider it though. Alde were doing a deal on an upgrade but not sure if that is still ongoing. Might be worth sending them an email.

Had the promotion at the NEC show re my opening post - about 1/2 price, you ring up the factory to get the special show price, not certain if they'll honour it on Monday but might as the show is on until Sunday 19th

Does any one really look at the classifieds any more now that it does not come up with "New posts"? BTW with the backlight lit permanently, any idea of the draw on the battery? Is the backlight bright? Can the settings be backed up so they are not lost when you switch off? Last question, does it fit straight into the existing aperture or do you need to enlarge the hole? I can't see where to respond on the advert?

TBH I can't even see how to send a PM?

Edited by DeltaTIowner

With the digital original 3010 213 I have I don't seem to lose "all the settings"; I only lose the actual time, the timing and set down temperature settings still remain. It has no 12 volt back up.

That still means that I have to set the time but to be honest doing that is not sufficient a hassle to fork out £75, or even the cost of the 12 volt support cable/plug, where the postage was quoted was as much as the unit.

I was not aware the new touch screen display retained anything more of its setting, without an addition feed. Though for that panel it is a twin AA battery powered feed so avoids routing a 12 volt feed.

I understood that with the 3010 213's 12 volt feed only a positive is required, so a single core very light current carrying cable is needed.

JTQ I have just checked mine and the settings are back at the default settings however I have not checked the bottom row for several months as you don't really need it in the summer. It is handy during the winter though, but we hardly go out in the winter.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a U2 and have changed the heating controls to the touch screen.

The first job was the brown cover that fitted over the top of the control for the heating and the van switches.

I looked in the BCA catalog and found that they do a single version, that only covers the the switch and led

of the caravan controls. They gave me the part number and I orderd one from my dealer £6. 50 even came

with a Bailey sticker at no extra cost.

The touch screen is a difrent shape to the original lcd panel, Alde do a mounting plate to fit over the old hole.

You need to cut a bit of the wood around it as it is taller than the old unit bu a few mm.

Being some one who likes toys I ordered the extra parts to go with the touch screen such as the back up battery, external temp sensor, a remote internal temp sensor, and Mains current sensor kit.

I also changed the flue outlet to a white one instead of dark Gray.

The panel can be set so it goes dark after a few seconds if not touched.

A lot better to use than the old one, and some what like the whale controller that we had in the GT 65. It is a good up grade, but does not do any more than the old panel. I am moor than happy with it, and it was easy to fit as well.

Just got to fit the rear rad now then all done.

I am lucky in that I am just down the road from the Alde UK building.

Next is the moving of the table store to where it is on the U3 and fitting the air con.

Roger.

Edited by R and J

I've got my Alde Touch Screen panel fitted now, took a few hours but love it!! I've added a few photo's below of what I did. One tip I learnt from when we had a new control panel fitted was that the plastic fawn coloured surround can be a bit of a so & so to get off. This time I used a hair dryer to warm the edges of the panel as it clips in place via about 4 tags, They are tight!

Once the plastic panel has been removed the old digital unit can be removed, take out the 4 screws & withdraw the unit, take it's back cover off & disconnect the wiring harness, this harness fits into the new Touch Screen panel. I positioned the Touch Screen panel as high as I could, had to cut into the wood backing & take off about 4mm or so of the bottom plastic edge of the top panel, this allows the new new blanking plate that is part of the Touch Screen kit to sit slightly higher than the bottom edge of the fawn plastic panel. I cut an oblong shape out of this panel a few mm within the edge of the new back plate, it does leave the fawn plastic panel standing a couple of mm proud. I tested the off cut from this panel & found if I used a hot air paint stripper carefully it softened the plastic enough to bend it. I then heated the plastic panel where it was proud - do this on a clean flat surface - & when softened, gently push back until it's level with it's surrounding area. Hope this will help anyone else upgrading their Control Panel

I've attached some photo's hope it will help anyone else upgrading.

• 2 months later...

Would someone advise me how to view these photos, please?

Thanks,

G

A bit late in replying as I missed seeing this, I've just sent a PM to another interested person & have attached the photos, don't what happened to my initial attachments!

post-35101-0-09817800-1421438951_thumb.jpgpost-35101-0-11522100-1421438970_thumb.jpgpost-35101-0-90419900-1421438984_thumb.jpgpost-35101-0-23328000-1421439003_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I upgraded my old digital Alde Control to the new Alde Touch Control Panel on my Bailey Unicorn II Valencia. The total price was around £200 and the finish is as 'factory standard'. To aid other possible upgraders, I posted a You Tube video of the job - which includes all part numbers. Total strip and fit time - 45 mins appox.

Hope this helps. https://www. youtube. com/watch?v=svaNgD6b4N4