Sign in to follow this  
Happy Jack

Wet Or Blown Air - On Non Ehu

With the blown air, there is no need to have the fan operating so 12v and no draw on the battery. With the ALDE it needs the 12v constantly to circulate the water. ALDE takes a lot longer to heat up and also weighs a whole lot more than the blown air system. ALDE requires the fluid to be changed after 2 years so another expense of about £150 as difficult to do yourself. No need to do anything with blown air.

The biggest issue with the ALDE system is that some manufacturers do not fit it according to the specifications laid down by ALDE which then makes the ALDE system less efficient. We have now had a modification done by the manufacturer which improved the system by 100%. We were ready to get a rid of the caravan mainly because of the ALDE system as heating was very poor.

A bit wrong. ALDE fluid needs to be changed every 5 years. It is very, and I mean very, easy to do. Cost about £40 Max. .

It does not need 12volt constantly as controlled be thermostat. .

True ALDE is heavier, don't know how much. And design must be right. In my Va!lencia it is great. Pity its lousy to tow.

Blown air needs constant 12 volt unless the old system with the convection fire, then it it not being blown!

John

Edited by JCloughie

A bit wrong. ALDE fluid needs to be changed every 5 years. It is very, and I mean very, easy to do. Cost about £40 Max. .

It does not need 12volt constantly as controlled be thermostat. .

True ALDE is heavier, don't know how much. And design must be right. In my Va!lencia it is great. Pity its lousy to tow.

Blown air needs constant 12 volt unless the old system with the convection fire, then it it not being blown!

John

Sorry John, it seems that 2 years is standard unless your paid extra for the 5 year fluid or did a deal with the dealer. It was still 2 years when we made inquiries about a new caravan earlier this year.

In addition, we had ours on our 2011 Lunar changed from the 2 year fluid to the 5 year fluid earlier this year at a cost of £160 by the mobile technician as it is a 3 hour job, so not sure where you get £40 as that is the cost of the 5 year fluid never mind adding the distilled water?

Thanks for all the advice.

In the end we have gone for Alde partly on the advice from the sales guy / here. We like Swift / Sterling caravans. Had a look at some Coachman and some Elddis but still preferred the Swift / Sterling. Our closest dealer is Sterling only so my choices were Eccles Sport (blown air) or Eccles SE (Alde). The SE was a much nicer caravan and much better spec so we went for that. Delivery in January so that Alde heating better be good!

• Like 1

Thanks for all the advice.

In the end we have gone for Alde partly on the advice from the sales guy / here. We like Swift / Sterling caravans. Had a look at some Coachman and some Elddis but still preferred the Swift / Sterling. Our closest dealer is Sterling only so my choices were Eccles Sport (blown air) or Eccles SE (Alde). The SE was a much nicer caravan and much better spec so we went for that. Delivery in January so that Alde heating better be good!

As far as the heating goes you will not regret it. On Swift talk forum it is reported that the dealers are less than professional at bleeding the system. Make sure yours does that properly and enjoy.

As far as the heating goes you will not regret it. On Swift talk forum it is reported that the dealers are less than professional at bleeding the system. Make sure yours does that properly and enjoy.

Dealers shouldn't need to bleed the system - it should be done at the factory as part of the build process.

We have the Whale blown air system in the Peg GT65 and the whole van is warm/hot which ever you prefer in a matter of minutes. Plenty of options on how to fuel the heat too, anyway the main plus for us is that it suits us just fine for our personal needs.

Sorry John, it seems that 2 years is standard unless your paid extra for the 5 year fluid or did a deal with the dealer. It was still 2 years when we made inquiries about a new caravan earlier this year.

In addition, we had ours on our 2011 Lunar changed from the 2 year fluid to the 5 year fluid earlier this year at a cost of £160 by the mobile technician as it is a 3 hour job, so not sure where you get £40 as that is the cost of the 5 year fluid never mind adding the distilled water?

3 hours! I would suggest that the person doing the job was either incompetent or didn't have a clue what he was doing. ...I've never had a system that took longer than 2 hours to do, most take less than an hour!

• Like 1

I heasitate to comment what shows all the signs of becoming an inflamed post (in the best tradition) but. ...

I've had both & won't consider anything but Alde again.

1, The Alde is almost silent & at night & that matters to most of us. The underfloor blown air is quite noisy when it first fires up & the temp. between switching off & on again is too great. A friend of mine has just changed to the latest hot air & is already regreting it.

2, Gas consunption is related to usage, so given the same efficiency & correct instalation (Bailey must have done it right?) there is no real differance.

3, Warm-up times are subjective & vary between 'local' & 'general'. Warm air tends to be of the 'local' & therefore quicker type, wereas Alde is of the 'general' ie. throughout the 'van type, & can take longer but the results are better. . There is no cold air circulation for a start. ....& that's every start!

4, 12V usage is an essential of both, I found the amount to be noticably greater with Alde but not a problem using 85A barttery & 80W solar panel.

5, The 2 year anti-freeze was easily replaced by myself for 5 year, at a cost of £25 for 5L. It does not have to be of Alde brand (which is more expensive) as stated by Alde themselves on this site. No mention of distilled water being used but that's not going to brake the bank, it's quite cheap in bulk. It is time consuming to do taking 2 to 3 hours.

6, Scalding water through the taps? I always thought you were supposed to regulate it with the . ...tap.

7, Some 'vans do indeed use the 5 year anti-freeze from new. There is so little cost differance (£3) anyway.

You pays your money & you takes your choice.

• Like 3

1, The Alde is almost silent & at night & that matters to most of us. The underfloor blown air is quite noisy when it first fires up & the temp. between switching off & on again is too great. A friend of mine has just changed to the latest hot air & is already regreting it.

Unless the Alde is in the bedbox just where your pillow/head are - the cut in/out of the relays becomes intrusive - the older Truma Ultraheat blown-air could have the fan changed from automatic to minimum and was virtually silent in that mode.

I haven't used the new "hidden" Truma blown air - but for me the old Ultraheat was/is superior to an Alde, both of which I've used.

I heasitate to comment what shows all the signs of becoming an inflamed post (in the best tradition) but. ...

I've had both & won't consider anything but Alde again.

2, Gas consunption is related to usage, so given the same efficiency & correct instalation (Bailey must have done it right?) there is no real differance.

3, Warm-up times are subjective & vary between 'local' & 'general'. Warm air tends to be of the 'local' & therefore quicker type, wereas Alde is of the 'general' ie. throughout the 'van type, & can take longer but the results are better. . There is no cold air circulation for a start. ....& that's every start!

4, 12V usage is an essential of both, I found the amount to be noticably greater with Alde but not a problem using 85A barttery & 80W solar panel.

5, The 2 year anti-freeze was easily replaced by myself for 5 year, at a cost of £25 for 5L. It does not have to be of Alde brand (which is more expensive) as stated by Alde themselves on this site. No mention of distilled water being used but that's not going to brake the bank, it's quite cheap in bulk. It is time consuming to do taking 2 to 3 hours.

6, Scalding water through the taps? I always thought you were supposed to regulate it with the . ...tap.

7, Some 'vans do indeed use the 5 year anti-freeze from new. There is so little cost differance (£3) anyway.

You pays your money & you takes your choice.

Good post- Thank you!

You're wecome Happy Jack.

One thing I should have stressed is: don't use a roof mounted solar panel of less than 100W they are just not efficient enough in this country. Expect 50% of rated output as the more likely norm. A seperate panel that can be moved to face the sun (& easily kept clean!) will be 75%+ in the same conditions. Just to depress us all don't forget that solar panels are only 80% efficient anyway. ....& the ones I've seen fitted to roofs have always been the cheaper & less efficiant type. Can't remember the types names (I have one of each) but the dearer type is much better for cloudy conditions ie. this country LOL.

I've learnt all this from experiance over the last 11 years, + the knowledge of others more expert than I will ever be.

You're wecome Happy Jack.

One thing I should have stressed is: don't use a roof mounted solar panel of less than 100W they are just not efficient enough in this country. Expect 50% of rated output as the more likely norm. A seperate panel that can be moved to face the sun (& easily kept clean!) will be 75%+ in the same conditions. Just to depress us all don't forget that solar panels are only 80% efficient anyway. ....& the ones I've seen fitted to roofs have always been the cheaper & less efficiant type. Can't remember the types names (I have one of each) but the dearer type is much better for cloudy conditions ie. this country LOL.

I've learnt all this from experiance over the last 11 years, + the knowledge of others more expert than I will ever be.

The van has a 40 watt panel and we have a briefcase 80 watt panel - so hopefully that will be sufficient

I think I am correct as when you are on a non EHU site you will be using gas and if on gas you can use it without the fan however they keep changing things so maybe I am now wrong. :D

What "blows" the air in a blown air system if it is not electrically via a fan?

The older Truma "S" series could convect some heat, so not use 12 volts, but even they needed power in the "blown" mode.

What "blows" the air in a blown air system if it is not electrically via a fan?

The older Truma "S" series could convect some heat, so not use 12 volts, but even they needed power in the "blown" mode.

They do convect a lot of heat.

The only problem is a bit of the hot head/cold feet syndrome without the blown air working.

However on 7 -10 day Christmas - New Year rally without electric hook-up, it is still undoubtably the best option as it's guaranteed (as long as you keep enough gas) to carry on working with absolutely no detrimental effect on the leisure battery.

At that time of year, with the very limited amount of daylight hours, you're asking a lot of a solar panel to keep it topped up, just at the time you most need the heat.

The only way to drum the point in to manufacturers is to "vote with your wallet" and don't buy a model without, at least, the option to have the convector fitted.

Unfortunatley, for me, last year that meant having to buy a 12 month old 'van instead of a new one to be able to keep the option.

I still think it was one of the wisest things I've done.

I notice Adria are fitting the newest model of the old style convector to many of their new models, and I imagine there must be a few others.

To my mind it would be avery positive selling point.

They do convect a lot of heat.

The only problem is a bit of the hot head/cold feet syndrome without the blown air working.

However on 7 -10 day Christmas - New Year rally without electric hook-up, it is still undoubtably the best option as it's guaranteed (as long as you keep enough gas) to carry on working with absolutely no detrimental effect on the leisure battery.

At that time of year, with the very limited amount of daylight hours, you're asking a lot of a solar panel to keep it topped up, just at the time you most need the heat.

The only way to drum the point in to manufacturers is to "vote with your wallet" and don't buy a model without, at least, the option to have the convector fitted.

Unfortunatley, for me, last year that meant having to buy a 12 month old 'van instead of a new one to be able to keep the option.

I still think it was one of the wisest things I've done.

I notice Adria are fitting the newest model of the old style convector to many of their new models, and I imagine there must be a few others.

To my mind it would be avery positive selling point.

Some very valid points but wonder what percentage of 'vanners are regularly off-grid. Suspect very low

• Like 1

Very simple, I did it myself, very easy to do and 5 years life for £40 including distilled water.

I wrote a report on here somwhere

John

Edited by JCloughie

I paid £18 for 5 litres of year life Comma antifreeze, and the water came from the tumble drier for free so cost was minimal but it was 4 years back. The fluid I used was not the one now available that could be cross mixed with the original fit two year product, so I flush through twice. Today with G12++, the mixing tolerant five year fluid, things are simpler.

In my experience the "biggest" issue with doing it myself was finding where and how to access the 5 odd bleeder tubes.

In Hymers case it required some disassembling of furniture, easy enough once I fathomed out how.

We are amongst those who would not readily buy a new van or Motorhome without a wet system, so impressed with it.

Some very valid points but wonder what percentage of 'vanners are regularly off-grid. Suspect very low

Judging by the amount of people attending rallies for, not only the major clubs, but the large number of small rallying clubs, I would think it is higher than many would imagine.

60 caravans without EHU for 4days on our New Year Rally.

Judging by the amount of people attending rallies for, not only the major clubs, but the large number of small rallying clubs, I would think it is higher than many would imagine.

Yep I'm sure it's a quite high number but there are 610,000 caravans and motorhomes in UK and, as a percentage, off-grid must be the minority. The post I quoted was advocating the 'old' convector heating. I was just opining that re-sale of such might be difficult.

• Like 1

60 caravans without EHU for 4days on our New Year Rally.

We regularly go (probably 2-3 times a month) between Easter and mid October to dog shows where there are 80-120 vans for 3-4 (sometimes more) days. Talking to my dealer today he said we are quite unusual in using our van mainly off grid

I am always surprised how few 12v or USB sockets there are in vans or I am the odd one out having loads of kit that needs 12v or USB to recharge batteries when off grid. My old Conway folding camper had 5 of the old 2 pin 12v sockets my new Sterling has two 12v sockets but 6 or 7 230v plug sockets!

We have a brand new Swift Alpine 2 Caravan it has Trauma blow air heating it's amazing I love it so warm

Has a boost on it if you want it to heat up quickly never ever had a brand new Caravan before so well

Chuffed with it but Alde is surposed to be very good it's really a matter of choice