Sign in to follow this  
Happy Jack

Wet Or Blown Air - On Non Ehu

Looking for some advice.

We are buying a new van and not sure which system would be best for us. I am aware that Alde heating is thought to be the better of the two but can take longer to heat up.

We spend little time in the caravan and most of our time away is with no hook up. Usually between Easter and mid October. We tend to be out all day and most of the night and use the heater mainly for just before getting up / just before going to bed.

I have some concerns about the power usage of the Alde system however we do have an 80 watt solar panel for topping up the battery. The extra money or weight of the Alde system is irrelevant

Any thoughts on the two systems and which could be better for our needs?

Hi.

Had both.

The Alde system is power hungry,however,when out over the winter months,climbing into a nice warm bed is rather nice,as the water pipes/radiators are arranged around the c/van.

Blown air,we changed a Coachman VIP with blown air,because by the time the warm air had got to the washroom. ... it wasn't warm anymore. I think this is all changed now by a bigger Truma system.

At the moment we have a PVC. with Truma blown air,it is as warm as toast,this is partly due to it being a very well insulated conversion. So,choice,the Alde needs an electric feed for the pump12v,as does the blown air for the fan,but perhaps not as much.

The Alde and the Blown air,can be activated by a text/app. ..Whatever. ..... (Grandad LOL),so if you can operate this level of "Techno" Alde. Someone will be along to correct me soon,but i suggest,perhaps a bigger Solar panel will help

Hedgebumper.

PS. I think the Blown air can be remotely switched on/off as well,check on that.

I have had blown air in last four caravans and never ever found it effective or speedy to heat the space, even when on EHU.

geoff

PS. Hi.

Warm up. As the pipes radiators encircle the c/van,just beneath the seats beds etc,these materials retain heat longer than the ducting that delivers the blown air,so Longer to warm up ?questionable,slower to cool down ? Yes by a country mile.

To boost the Blown air,you have to have 240 elec and gas on together,perhaps that is where you get the quicker warm up. .

Best of luck working this out

Both blown air and wet systems take 12 vDC electrical power; it is the convection type typified by the Truma "S" series that can give off some heat without using 12 volt DC power.

However, new build caravans don't appear to be fitted with these Truma "S" series heaters any more; so if available your van choice is going to be severely limited.

The Truma Combi, Whale and the Alde are all going to require 12 volt DC power if you want to be warm.

When I looked into the power levels the Truma Combi and the Alde take then I concluded there was not a great deal of difference comparing like with like; ie yielding similar heat outputs. Fan speed and pump speed, together with pump type can modify the 12 v Dc current taken. I did not study the Whale systems 12 V power requirements as we were not interested in any van with that system.

I have a big German van with an Alde system, it has the heavy duty pump, not the multi speed or even the low power in header pump. I have monitored all my current drains. The Alde system we have pulls a total maximum of 1. 6 Amps on full belt, but of course is not on full belt much of the time in temperatures we can tolerate caravanning in.

For more than a long winter weekend off EHU, that also in our case means having lights and TV, I feel it becomes a struggle even with our 85 Watt freestanding panel, in typical winter overcast conditions. Having said that given some lovely sun shine, despite being cold we cope very adequately. Batteries: 90 AH van battery, plus 60 Ah TV battery.

For prolonged off EHU winter use, IMO you need to buy an old van with a convection heater, leave the TV at home, use LED lights and go to bed early and rise late!

Edited by JTQ

Ours is not a particularly old van (adria adora new last year). It has the 'older' type truma heater which can play the part of a central fire and/or heat blown air for distribution. Our experience with the blown air is that it is more like a heat pump and simply pumps ALL the heat directly to the underside of the caravan. We are having insulating lagging fitted to the two offending under body pipes next month.

But it doesn't really matter as we find that the central fire can get the whole caravan warm enough in about 20 minutes if we leave the bathroom door open.

Mike (we are permanently on battery power)

Go for the Alde. We use ours off grid a lot. The comfort level is far superior and it is almost silent. The extra electric is questionable. The system uses the power as alde say. But it is only pumping for some of the time. Once up to temperature it switches to standby. How long before it lights up again of course depends on the outside weather conditions but we have no problem keeping going with a 60 w folding panel.

We set ours to turn down to the 'night temp' automatically and also set it to come on before our expected time back if we are out for the day. When you are on EHU. you can start it on both gas plus electric at say 3 kw if the supply can cope. If it can't then you can drop it to 2 or 1 kw plus the gas. As it gets warmed up it will automatically turn off the gas component and then turn down the electric to the lowest needed. We usually do this for a rapid warm up and have never then heard the gas kick back in again.

Straw pole of those that have had both you will find Alde wins hands down. Also should you want any mods or additions the people at the factory are probably the most helpful we have ever spoken to.

Edited by Alan Stanley
  • Like 2

Our present caravan has the blown air system. Unlike our previous caravan, none of the pipes are under the floor, they are all inside the caravan. We find it very quick to warm up, and is also very effective in the bathroom.

We also like the fact that if we go out for the day we can set the timer to turn it on before we return.

Previous caravan also had blown air heating. As the pipes went under the floor, I insulated them, and then it became very good.

Our present caravan has the blown air system. Unlike our previous caravan, none of the pipes are under the floor, they are all inside the caravan. We find it very quick to warm up, and is also very effective in the bathroom.

We also like the fact that if we go out for the day we can set the timer to turn it on before we return.

Previous caravan also had blown air heating. As the pipes went under the floor, I insulated them, and then it became very good.

That's why so many caravanners don't rate the Truma blown-air - because most caravans had poor installations - but once and under-floor runs are properly insulated it works well, very well IMO.

Alde installations are dependent on the good design, or otherwise, of the airflow vents under the furniture and out the back - comparing Alde's installation guidelines with UK caravan makers attempts, there's some poor installations there too !!

We have the Truma Combi and find it very efficient. The only problem is that it heats the body of the van up very quickly and the thermosat switches off before the washroom gets warm. The fact that it can be programmed to come on when you want it is great.

I prefer the idea of the blown air system as there is no possiblity that it can leak and no maintenance, but not having had the Aldi I cannot say which is best.

• Like 1

My loan air pipes are also inside the van, very efficient and fast warm up. The other benefit of having blown air is that you will have independent control of hot water temperature, something you don't get with Alde wet system. The Alde system when your heating is on, so is the hot water which can POTENTIALLY get scalding hot.

Final point, you don't really get choice in this, you pick the van you want to buy and it comes with one or the other, most new vans seem to come with Alde, if there was a choice I'd be having blown air

Edited by nme2no1
  • Like 1

Looking for some advice.

We are buying a new van and not sure which system would be best for us. I am aware that Alde heating is thought to be the better of the two but can take longer to heat up.

We spend little time in the caravan and most of our time away is with no hook up. Usually between Easter and mid October. We tend to be out all day and most of the night and use the heater mainly for just before getting up / just before going to bed.

I have some concerns about the power usage of the Alde system however we do have an 80 watt solar panel for topping up the battery. The extra money or weight of the Alde system is irrelevant

Any thoughts on the two systems and which could be better for our needs?

Hi,

Like you, we are into dogs & our caravan gets used mostly between Easter & October when we compete at agility shows. At the start of last year we bought a new Lunar Clubman SE with Alde wet heating. Our first outing has at the Easter Hare n Hounds Show at Helmsley - night time temperatures down to -5C & daytime just above freezing. Not knowing any better & SWMBO always complaining of feeling cold, we left the heating on most of the time. Over the 4 days we used about 10Kg of gas, & flattened 2 x 95AH leisure batteries.

First thing I did when we got back was to install a 90W solar panel on the roof & learn how to program the timer on the Alde. Since then we have never had to change the battery. We always taken the caravan back to the storage yard with a fully charged battery. We use the TV for 1 or 2 hours per day, we use the motor mover to site the caravan & hitch up & have never had a problem.

We program the night setting on the Alde so that the heating cuts out about bed time & comes back on about 30 minutes before the alarm goes off. During the day, if we are going to be out of the caravan most of the time (like at shows) we turn the thermostat down so that the heating keeps the chill off the caravan without burning all our gas.

If you want to chat, send me an IM & we can arrange a call.

Cheers,

Jim

My loan air pipes are also inside the van, very efficient and fast warm up. The other benefit of having blown air is that you will have independent control of hot water temperature, something you don't get with Alde wet system. The Alde system when your heating is on, so is the hot water which can POTENTIALLY get scalding hot.

Final point, you don't really get choice in this, you pick the van you want to buy and it comes with one or the other, most new vans seem to come with Alde, if there was a choice I'd be having blown air

Hi have you ever had a van with Alde heating?

Terry

In order to 'balance the books' and accepting that you used the word 'potentially', reckon I need to say that the potential is on or around the same level as Call me Dave voting UKIP! I have never noticed any difference in water temp when heating also on and we do a lot of cold weather 'vanning.

• Like 2

In order to 'balance the books' and accepting that you used the word 'potentially', reckon I need to say that the potential is on or around the same level as Call me Dave voting UKIP! I have never noticed any difference in water temp when heating also on and we do a lot of cold weather 'vanning.

Hi samd if you also notice the taps can be run at different temperature s you don't need to have the tap on hot.

Terry.

• Like 1

Hi,

Like you, we are into dogs & our caravan gets used mostly between Easter & October when we compete at agility shows. At the start of last year we bought a new Lunar Clubman SE with Alde wet heating. Our first outing has at the Easter Hare n Hounds Show at Helmsley - night time temperatures down to -5C & daytime just above freezing. Not knowing any better & SWMBO always complaining of feeling cold, we left the heating on most of the time. Over the 4 days we used about 10Kg of gas, & flattened 2 x 95AH leisure batteries.

First thing I did when we got back was to install a 90W solar panel on the roof & learn how to program the timer on the Alde. Since then we have never had to change the battery. We always taken the caravan back to the storage yard with a fully charged battery. We use the TV for 1 or 2 hours per day, we use the motor mover to site the caravan & hitch up & have never had a problem.

We program the night setting on the Alde so that the heating cuts out about bed time & comes back on about 30 minutes before the alarm goes off. During the day, if we are going to be out of the caravan most of the time (like at shows) we turn the thermostat down so that the heating keeps the chill off the caravan without burning all our gas.

If you want to chat, send me an IM & we can arrange a call.

Cheers,

Jim

Jim - we might know each other - I go to all of the outdoor Hare n Hounds shows and judge at most - you will know my club - High Lane we are the rowdy ones in black. I judged at Cornforth as well last year

Edited by Happy Jack

With the blown air, there is no need to have the fan operating so 12v and no draw on the battery. With the ALDE it needs the 12v constantly to circulate the water. ALDE takes a lot longer to heat up and also weighs a whole lot more than the blown air system. ALDE requires the fluid to be changed after 2 years so another expense of about £150 as difficult to do yourself. No need to do anything with blown air.

The biggest issue with the ALDE system is that some manufacturers do not fit it according to the specifications laid down by ALDE which then makes the ALDE system less efficient. We have now had a modification done by the manufacturer which improved the system by 100%. We were ready to get a rid of the caravan mainly because of the ALDE system as heating was very poor.

With the blown air, there is no need to have the fan operating so 12v and no draw on the battery. With the ALDE it needs the 12v constantly to circulate the water. ALDE takes a lot longer to heat up and also weighs a whole lot more than the blown air system. ALDE requires the fluid to be changed after 2 years so another expense of about £150 as difficult to do yourself. No need to do anything with blown air.

The biggest issue with the ALDE system is that some manufacturers do not fit it according to the specifications laid down by ALDE which then makes the ALDE system less efficient. We have now had a modification done by the manufacturer which improved the system by 100%. We were ready to get a rid of the caravan mainly because of the ALDE system as heating was very poor.

Hi DeltaTIowner I think you are wrong in your first statement it's my understanding that all new vans need the 12v fan to be working to obtain heat. I do agree with the rest of your post but I still think that the alde system is by far the best.

Terry

Hi DeltaTIowner I think you are wrong in your first statement it's my understanding that all new vans need the 12v fan to be working to obtain heat. I do agree with the rest of your post but I still think that the alde system is by far the best.

Terry

I think I am correct as when you are on a non EHU site you will be using gas and if on gas you can use it without the fan however they keep changing things so maybe I am now wrong. :D

This is the sort of blown air heater that is fitted to most 'vans these days:

http://www. truma. com/uk/en/heating/combi-4. php

The good thing is it sits neatly in a small space, but I don't think there is any way of getting to heat the van without fans to move the air. Personally, on budget 'vans, I think that might be mistake and prefer our older style heater.

I think I am correct as when you are on a non EHU site you will be using gas and if on gas you can use it without the fan however they keep changing things so maybe I am now wrong. :D

on the old systems when a gas fire was installed and the hot air taken from that you are right, you could just have gas and no 12v, on all the new systems you cannot have just heat without a 12v fan running plus the boiler also has a fan controlling the gas burner.

Terry

Although the hot water system runs at 50 normally or 60 degrees on boost, the Alde only limits the circulating coolant temperature to 83 degrees C which is transferred to both heating and hot water elements so it can indeed create scalding hot water or burning radiators - scalding/burning occurs over 60 degrees.

The Truma 3000S convector has kept our caravan comfortable at -7C and of course it doesn't drain the battery. We use the blown air when on hook up as it helps prevent a cold spot. Both the Alde and new Truma/Whale blown air systems are good but they do drain the battery that's why many manufacturers are adding solar panels on the roof. Basically if you winter caravan without EHU the older system is the better option.

The Truma 3000S convector has kept our caravan comfortable at -7C and of course it doesn't drain the battery. We use the blown air when on hook up as it helps prevent a cold spot. Both the Alde and new Truma/Whale blown air systems are good but they do drain the battery that's why many manufacturers are adding solar panels on the roof. Basically if you winter caravan without EHU the older system is the better option.