Snow Birds In Portugal

Currently on holiday on the Algarve at Armacao de Pera, with out 'van! Seen lots of Motor homes mainly Dutch and German, but no caravans . Thinking of becoming Snowbirds ourselves when we retire in the next 2 yrs or so, what's it like inPortugal out of season, and how easy is the trip down here?

Volvo XC60 D5 AWD AUTO. Lunar Lexon 570

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

2 x darling grandaughters and her

Algarve out of season is lovely, as is the whole of southern Spain. As you get closer to Gibraltar it gets windier, but past Gibraltar it is sheltered again. The Atlantic coast of Portugal can get windy too. That said the whole area will be about ten degrees warmer than UK.

Where you are now is about half way between the two most popular sites. Orbitur at Quartiera to the east of you gets mixed reviews. Then to the west is Turiscampo at Lagos, which is very popular. If you get a chance while you are there pop along for a look.

Getting there for the winter is no problem. Not many sites open in France, but enough to get you to Spain. Overnight at Tours or Poitiers, Bordeaux or Urrugne, Alternatively get the long boat Portsmouth to Santander/Bilbao. Either way you then go Burgos, Salamanca, Caceres, El Rocio. The route is easy driving, toll or non toll. If you have not towed abroad before you will find it so much easier than towing in the UK. And diesel is much cheaper too!

Lots of caravans will be down there. They call them Snowbirds, as you say, or sometimes the 'Grey Plague'

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

Information you cannot buy, thank you NSBJohn. Home tomorrow so won't get to see Touristcampo but read the reviews and looks good. obligada again

We can not wait to be back touring Spain & Portugal unfortnetly we are off late this year 29/12/2014 due to a inconsiderate son getting married LOL

I'll second NSBJ recommendation for Turiscampo, one of our favourite sites in Portugal .

Been there on three occasions and never disappointed

2022 Pilote P696GJ for European touring-  2022 Coachman VIP 565 for touring the UK towed by a 2020 Kia Sportage GT line S

Foggy you'll be on the car parks now in your motor home, 1 night on site to empty waste and fill tanks!

Interesting. ..we looked at this some time ago and found that those friends who had over-wintered in Portugal now went to Spain instead as they thought weather 'less breezy'...........am told old and doddery to try either now.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Just seen the Portuguese Golf Masters on the news. With horrendous winds and driving rain. I think I'll stick to the UK.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Interesting. ..we looked at this some time ago and found that those friends who had over-wintered in Portugal now went to Spain instead as they thought weather 'less breezy'...........am told old and doddery to try either now.

geoff

Geoff, you are never too old and doddery! On our last trip we met an elderly Belgian couple at Larouleta, on their way south. She was walking with a bit of a limp. On chatting we found that she had had a hip replacement two weeks earlier. Then on the way home, in Luxembourg we were chatting to an elderly Dutch couple who seemed very sad. They were on their way home from a winter in Spain and felt it might be their last. They were both in their 90's.

I agree with your comments about Spain though. Portugal more scenic but Spanish winter weather a bit better.

John

Hyundai Santa Fe CRD auto + Burstner Belcanto 525 TL

http://www. oldagetraveller. net/

Geoff, you are never too old and doddery!

According to my (non-driving) wife I am. ...

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

We can not wait to be back touring Spain

Good luck with the wedding Martin&Maggie. I too can't wait to get hitched on and I don't have quite so long to wait before my departure. Less than three weeks! Happily, I feel fit enough to set out on what will be my 20th winter in Spain. Maybe I'll see you there. ... :) ?

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

John, that must be a record. Well done on your 20 winters.

Unless of course anyone can beat this wonderful achievement.

Looking forward to the next trip must keep you going to some extent. You have to have a target in life.

NSB John, love the one about the Belgian lady with the new hip. My wife gets hers in 2 weeks but we are told mid December is the earliest we should consider travelling south.

Foggy you'll be on the car parks now in your motor home, 1 night on site to empty waste and fill tanks!

Must keep up the traditions of the Motorhome Fraternity don't you know lol

2022 Pilote P696GJ for European touring-  2022 Coachman VIP 565 for touring the UK towed by a 2020 Kia Sportage GT line S

Freeloaders you mean !

😊😊

Phil.

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

12 here at the moment and 17 in Portugal (Portimao). 16 Alicante and 18 Malaga . IMO As said Portugal is always slightly cooler due to breeze and Alicante is warmest as it is tucked round the corner sheltered a bit .

Sad I know but I keep all the weather and temps for the main Winter retreats on my desktop .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .