I'm Thinking Of Taking Up Fly Fishing.

Hi all.

As I get older, I'm thinking of trying fly fishing.

I fished as a youngster for perch, chub and poke but never tried the fly.

Anyone got any tips, hints and suggestions.

Anyone got any tackle to donate, lend or sell at a reasonable price to see if I get on with it or even any good.

suggest any good books, also.

Cheers

Pete

Mine : Land Rover Defender 90, big, black and shiney.
Polly's : Land Rover Discovery Sport, HSE in Scotia Grey . .......
Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

A relaxing therapeutic past time, if not cheap. I would recommend that you book yourself a couple of lessons with a qualified instructor, APGAI or Stanic qualified to see if it is for you. Assuming that you take to it buy the best rod that you can afford, the reel is not so important. Having just returned from a holiday in the Highlands there are plenty of "waters" you can fish on a day ticket. I had a brilliant day on the River Leven for £10. Down here that would cost you 10 times that!!. Have a look on e-bay for rods, reels etc, I would suggest a 9 ft 2 piece rod with a line rating of of 4 or 5.

Volvo V70/Lunar Clubman 475/2 CKW

Buy yourself a Fly Fishing magazine and see what offers are being advertised for Fly tackle.

Loads on Ebay, Gumtree, Preloved etc etc.

Hardy Rods in Alnwick may be doing some offers pre Christmas, I got some a couple of years back

when they had a display at the nearby Leisure Centre, they were heavily discounted. Mind

you they need to be as the normal price is a tad high but great rods.

Enjoy

I noticed at one recycling centre the fishing rods were stacked separately,

and priced very reasonably. This varies from place to place.

Don't buy cheap flies! find out what works on the water you want to fish,

the proven "killers", and buy good ones (the hooks are better)

Is it a boat only water or can you use chest waders? find out how to swim in waders!

I would buy a 9-10ft rod the best I could afford, carbon-fibre/boron (so that it has some

resale value if you decide the sport is not for you)

If you buy clothing look at what other people use, I had a cheap wax anglers jacket

given to me and the lining wicked water up over my back :rolleyes: a hat that won't blow off

and shields your eyes from the sun, good sunglasses and factor 50 sun screen.

The single most important thing you can buy is a pair of sunglasses (preferably Polaroid) with which you can spot fish but that's not why they are the number one item for you . ... It's because they will protect your eyes should a stray cast come your way (very likely when you're starting out!)

I wouldn't personally buy an expensive rod initially-learn with something cheap and then trade up if you decide to stick with it. .

That's the advice I was given 7yrs ago when I started out and it's served me well to-date. .

Tight Lines

2004 Land Rover Discovery & 2011 Bailey Pegasus Bologna

My sport. ....look for courses locallly,often run by local authorities. .... charity shops often have old magazines. ..devour and redevour. ..

Good glasses essential. ..percy right. .

Geoff

Ps Hardy rods now Chinese blanks. ..plenty of cheaper and frankly better ones available these days, should be easy to get modern used rods/ reels as to many they are a fashion item!

Edited by shipbroker

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I was a regular fisherman as a youngster but as I have got older i have become very squeamish about catching fish. Unfortunately my heart says go fishing again as it is so relaxing but my head says no as I seem to have hang ups about hurting fish, I know some say that fish do not have any nerve endingsso do not feel pain but that is me.

Hopefully you do not have any hang ups so go out and enjoy it as it is agreat passtime.

Fly fishing is great and very therapeutic, have a look at Hywel Morgan on the Horse and Country channel http://www. horseandcountry. tv/episode/hywel-morgan-fishing-episode-1, he gives some good tips for anyone starting to fish.

Its not just about fishing either, Entomology is very important and it gets very interesting, especially when you start making your own flies.

The fly fishing forum is a good forum http://www. flyfishing. co. uk/forums. php for anyone into fly fishing, they have loads of tips and traders who offer good tackle.

As for tackle it all depends on where you intend to fish, large or small river or loch etc. practicing on grass is always a good start but the length of rod and the weight depends on where and what you want to fish for.

It can get expensive if you let it, but getting the most expensive tackle doesn't guarantee catching fish. Once you get the basics right then a week in Northumberland is just what the family wants ;) and while you're there pop into Hardy/Greys, they will take you onto a fishing strip in front of their door and let you try before you buy. they will only sell you a rod that suits you immaterial of cost.

The last time I went the money I saved on buying a rod paid for the weeks holiday, I'm going again next year :)

If you go on the flyfishing forum ask if anyone in your area can help regarding tuition, the good anglers are only too happy to do it for free.

Learning to cast is only the first step into a very interesting sport, soon you will learn all about river or loch life, all about the birds and the insect life, each week in season will bring on new insect life, matching the hatch will become second nature. .....maybe I'm getting a little too excited :rolleyes:

I've just given a nine foot rod 7# away to someone who's just started but I'll ask around,

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I am a Level 2 Game Angling Coach and it is a shame you didn't post this about a month ago as I was up at the Glasgow Angling Centre Open Weekend, a few weeks ago, and would have helped you out! I can recommend popping into the store as they have a huge selection and staff who are good at advising you. Go and browse before you even consider buying anything. They have loads of pre-loved tackle so it doesnt have to be expensive as you can buy quality rods at the same price you would pay for one that is no where near as good. Join fly forum and ask for advise on there. Go to a local fishery and they will loan you tackle to use and be able to advise on what flies to use for that particular water.

Fly fishing comes in many forms and it is pointless buying tackle until you have had a try and worked out what you want to do - fish stillwaters for rainbows, fish rivers for brown trout or grayling, fish from boats on reservoir.

Can I recommend that you contact Game Angling Scotland and get in touch with Alberto -

Fly Fishing, Fly Casting & Fly Tying Instruction
with Alberto Laidlaw APGAI

Alberto_016.jpg

Alberto is a qualified instructor based in Scotland in the city of Glasgow is a member and currently the Chairman of GAIA (Game Angling Instructors Association) he holds the following qualifications:

Alberto has proven his ability both to demonstrate and teach fly fishing techniques and methods. Tuition is offered for beginners, intermediate and advanced levels using structured methods designed to suit different levels of skill. Instruction is available on an hourly, half day or full day basis. As a full member of the GAIA Alberto is covered with full third party insurance to £5,000,000 for himself and anyone teaching with him.

He is also qualified to teach fly tying and is available for lessons and demonstrations.
The services offered are:

• Single Handed Fly Casting Tuition
  • Double Handed Fly Casting Tuition
  • Instruction on Fishing Techniques for River and Loch
  • Fishing Courses and Demonstrations
  • Corporate Events
  • Fly Tying Instruction and Demonstrations
  • Guiding on the rivers Clyde, Tay and Tweed and the Trossach Lochs especially the Lake of Menteith and Lochs Lomond, Katrine and Venacher

Paying for a coaching session really is in investment and you will be able to try tackle and most importantly you will learn how to cast and get more out of your fishing sessions. It is poinless paying for a days fishing and spending most of your time getting wind knots out of your leader because you aren't casting properly!

I would be happy to give you free coaching and advice if you are ever down at Chatton Trout Fishery which is just south of Berwick as we hold monthly sessions aimed at encouraging women and young people into the sport. It isnt just women though! As for for hurting fish - qualified coaches will always teach you respect for fish and how to handle them (as little as possible) and get them back as soon as possible. I have personally caught the same fish a few times so if it caused it distress it wouldn't have come back the second time. I always use forceps to remove the fly quickly and efficiently and I don't touch the fish if I can help it. Barbless hooks are used these days and are very sharp ( my fingers can confirm this ) and go in quickly and come out equally quickly minimising any problems for the fish.

Feel free to contact me directly and I will try to help

Ali

Fly fishing is great and very therapeutic, have a look at Hywel Morgan on the Horse and Country channel http://www. horseandcountry. tv/episode/hywel-morgan-fishing-episode-1, he gives some good tips for anyone starting to fish.

Its not just about fishing either, Entomology is very important and it gets very interesting, especially when you start making your own flies.

The fly fishing forum is a good forum http://www. flyfishing. co. uk/forums. php for anyone into fly fishing, they have loads of tips and traders who offer good tackle.

As for tackle it all depends on where you intend to fish, large or small river or loch etc. practicing on grass is always a good start but the length of rod and the weight depends on where and what you want to fish for.

It can get expensive if you let it, but getting the most expensive tackle doesn't guarantee catching fish. Once you get the basics right then a week in Northumberland is just what the family wants ;) and while you're there pop into Hardy/Greys, they will take you onto a fishing strip in front of their door and let you try before you buy. they will only sell you a rod that suits you immaterial of cost.

The last time I went the money I saved on buying a rod paid for the weeks holiday, I'm going again next year :)

If you go on the flyfishing forum ask if anyone in your area can help regarding tuition, the good anglers are only too happy to do it for free.

Learning to cast is only the first step into a very interesting sport, soon you will learn all about river or loch life, all about the birds and the insect life, each week in season will bring on new insect life, matching the hatch will become second nature. .....maybe I'm getting a little too excited :rolleyes:

I've just given a nine foot rod 7# away to someone who's just started but I'll ask around,

Let me know when you come up to Northumberland and I will join you for a session at Chatton Fishery :D Good advice

http://www. chattontroutfishery. com/

Ali

Let me know when you come up to Northumberland and I will join you for a session at Chatton Fishery :D Good advice

http://www. chattontroutfishery. com/

Ali

Thanks for the offer :)
I pass it as I take the kids to Chillingham (although she has her own caravan now :lol: )

Chillingham castle

Paul B

Why do you want to catch flies? :D

A Fiat Doblo camper and a Lunar Ariva 2019
grace my drive.

Hi guys, thank for the replies, much appreciated.

We are down alnwick way in a couple of weekends time, so will pop into hardy and

try not to spend some hard gotten cash. I'll need something to do whilst Polly is

in that nice little fabric shop, getting some embroidery fabric, lol.

Cheers

Pete

Towing : A 2011 Coachman Pastiche 545, on the driveway . ....... and now a CT Ninja, too.

We are down alnwick way in a couple of weekends time, so will pop into hardy and

try not to spend some hard gotten cash. I'll need something to do whilst Polly is

Cheers

Pete

Warning. ..Hardy gear wherever it is made now is still very expensive and personally after 60 something years of fishing I still wouldn't buy it. .especially as a novice. ..however, the quality is still there and I wouldn't knock it from that point of view. ....

I'll spend 3 weeks on Tweed in Spring, pensioners ticket of £6. 00 Trout only at Melrose, rather more at Kelso. ..

geoff

I think he's made the right choice, buying a heavily discounted Greys or Hardy rod that he's comfortable with will be much better than buying a cheep and heavy starter rod.

Plus while he's trying them they will give him plenty of casting tips, but he should expect to be there a couple of hours as they wont sell him a rod until both he and them are totally happy that its the rod for him.

When I go up to the Melrose area Geoff I get a complimentary season ticket to fish the Tweed on the Dryburgh stretch :P

Paul B

When I go up to the Melrose area Geoff I get a complimentary season ticket to fish the Tweed on the Dryburgh stretch :P

Lucky you. ...though last time I was there, for the 7's, they were pulling anglers out of he water with frostbite!

geoff

Whilst in Alnwick you could visit Barter Books and buy some good/well used Fishing Books, just

to offset the Fabric purchases. rofl

Cheap gear is not necessarily bad, expensive gear is not always good, the advertising guys who write for fishing gear have only fishing tales in common with fishermen, flies are tied to catch fishermen, try before you buy is the best advice along with get it right at the start so find yourself a qualified casting/fishing instuctor that you like and respect. (I had an instructor who could cast over the horizon but couldn't catch fish to save his life) and remember it's the nut on the dry end of a fly line thats the most important.

Cheap gear is not necessarily bad, expensive gear is not always good, the advertising guys who write for fishing gear have only fishing tales in common with fishermen, flies are tied to catch fishermen, try before you buy is the best advice along with get it right at the start so find yourself a qualified casting/fishing instuctor that you like and respect. (I had an instructor who could cast over the horizon but couldn't catch fish to save his life) and remember it's the nut on the dry end of a fly line thats the most important.

That's one of my favourite sayings; there are flies to catch fishermen and flies to catch fish :)

Paul B

First law of Fishing. If your line isn't in the water you are not fishing.

geoff

Cheers

Pete

This could be a perfect opportunity for you :)

Why don't you PM Redrockhopper from chatton fly fishery (see post 10) and ask for advice ;)

Also have a look at Joan Wolff's videos heres one but there's plenty of others

https://www. youtube. com/watch?v=KyThAv-WPSg

Paul B

This could be a perfect opportunity for you :)

Why don't you PM Redrockhopper from chatton fly fishery (see post 10) and ask for advice ;)

Also have a look at Joan Wolff's videos heres one but there's plenty of others

https://www. youtube. com/watch?v=KyThAv-WPSg

I am more than happy to help you out and let you have a try of my rods. I have a Sonik, two end of range Greys rods and an Orvis Helios which costs around £750 to buy new (I didnt pay that amount though! ) My Greys rods are excellent and very good value for money especially my x flite which is lovely to cast, light and got my personal best brown trout, 10lb 2 oz, to the net so it can do the job. The Helios is light and well balanced enabling me to cast with precision but my cheap Greys x flite is an excellent rod that was excellent value for money. What I am trying to explain is that there is no right answer to second hand, new etc only what is right for you and the style of fishing you are going to do so take your time and try before you buy. It wont be your only purchase. ........oh and wait till you get into fly tying you think that will be a cheap way of getting flies! Wrong but hugely rewarding.

Every month I help out a local angling club with coaching to encourage women and children into the sport but we are open to anyone really. I love helping people to tie their first fly then take them on the lake to watch their face when they catch on it!

As for fishing venues down here there is loads of choice - Chatton and Thrunton are both good stillwaters and both do fab bacon sarnies :D and are close to Alnwick

Ali

the tackle tart :wub:

Edited by redrockhopper

I am more than happy to help you out and let you have a try of my rods. I have a Sonik, two end of range Greys rods and an Orvis Helios which costs around £750 to buy new (I didnt pay that amount though! ) My Greys rods are excellent and very good value for money especially my x flite which is lovely to cast, light and got my personal best brown trout, 10lb 2 oz, to the net so it can do the job. The Helios is light and well balanced enabling me to cast with precision but my cheap Greys x flite is an excellent rod that was excellent value for money. What I am trying to explain is that there is no right answer to second hand, new etc only what is right for you and the style of fishing you are going to do so take your time and try before you buy. It wont be your only purchase. ........oh and wait till you get into fly tying you think that will be a cheap way of getting flies! Wrong but hugely rewarding.

Every month I help out a local angling club with coaching to encourage women and children into the sport but we are open to anyone really. I love helping people to tie their first fly then take them on the lake to watch their face when they catch on it!

As for fishing venues down here there is loads of choice - Chatton and Thrunton are both good stillwaters and both do fab bacon sarnies :D and are close to Alnwick

Ali

the tackle tart :wub:

Hi Ali . ... thanks for all the advice . ... it's a mine field . .... let me stick to working out which caravan to buy . ....!!!!

No, but seriously . .... I never realised which rod you would require to fish . .... a still river to a fast flowing river or a lake . .....

I just thought that a "Hybrid" would suit all . .....

Now where that book . ... Hartley, I think it's by . .....

Cheers

Pete