Which Ferry Crossing ?

just looking at ferry crossing for next summer, and my opinion is to go with the Poole to Cherbourg crossing which is the best value at the minute, however this will be our first time does anybody have any experience of this crossing ?

If only I could live in a caravan !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How did you compare? Brittany ferries haven't released their prices yet on Portsmouth/ Caen which is the one we have often used.

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

How did you compare? Brittany ferries haven't released their prices yet on Portsmouth/ Caen which is the one we have often used.

Brittany prices for 2015 have been up since early August, we booked our crossing for June 2015 on the 05/08/14.

As to the original posters question, the only thing we have against the Poole Cherbourg crossing is that it adds a fair few miles driving to clear the Cherbourg peninsula, against Caen.

Edited by Steve Drew

Steve

2017 Dethleffs Globus I1 Motorhome.

I've ued it dozens of times and is my route of choice,shortest BF crossng and easy access each side of the channel.

knarf

Trogman - we did our first trip to France this year, and for peace of mind we did out to st Malo and then back via Caen. Gave us more time to get used to France and the driving, plus less hastle. Just remember that the brittany ferries may be slightly more but they will take you further into frame than say Cherbourg.

For example, by going to st Malo it worked out only £100 more expensive than driving through the tunnel and all the additional fuel/tolls etc. For me, that was worth it as it gave me an extra 2-3days at the site of my choice relaxing rather than driving.

All depends what you need. Also, if you want to look at brittany ferries, I can get you 10% off the prices. If you'd like to take me up on that just drop me a PM.

we had a price for both and portsmouth to caen comes out at £568, poole to cherbourg come out at £423.

These prices are by the caravan club travelling on a monday going out and a wednesday coming back.

I feel the money saved is 2 tanks of fuel for us.

whats your thoughts ?

Brittany prices for 2015 have been up since early August, we booked our crossing for June 2015 on the 05/08/14.

As to the original posters question, the only thing we have against the Poole Cherbourg crossing is that it adds a fair few miles driving to clear the Cherbourg peninsula, against Caen.

i think based on the cost difference i would nt see this a particular problem. thanks

if you intend going to France more then once. then have you considered the Brittany Ferries Club Voyage card it costs £130 upon application but gives you 30% off the crossing which saves £170 on the Caen crossing price. you don. t save much the first year. but is £60. 00 to renew so the second year savings are better.

Steve

2017 Dethleffs Globus I1 Motorhome.

"the only thing we have against the Poole Cherbourg crossing is that it adds a fair few miles driving to clear the Cherbourg peninsula, against Caen."

It depends where you are heading,if you are going to the west then it is only app 30 miles more with the advantage that you avoid the traffic around Caen.

knarf

We have also used the Poole/Cherbourg crossing on a number of occasions. Poole is convenient to our home address and it is a shorter crossing than Portsmouth/Caen. I haven't checked sailing times recently but in the past we have gone for the 08. 30 hrs sailing which gets you into Cherbourg early afternoon. For those wanting to crack on this will give you a couple of hours of travel before looking for a night halt. For us we head for Camping Haute Dick in Carentan some 30 miles down the peninsula for the first night which gives us a good start the following morning. You can stay overnight on Poole Ferry Port if arriving early for the morning ferry.

Volvo V70/Lunar Clubman 475/2 CKW

I must have had a senior moment as I have looked again and of course you are right. Lord knows what I looked at. However I am pleased to see on checking that if we go Portsmouth/Caen again next year it is only £11 more for including seven camping cheques for the dates we will want.

Edited by LongTimeCaravaner

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

We did the Cherbourg rout last year the only fault we found was the arrival home time was late then you have the travel home. Next year we are going to st. Malo and back from Caen both night crossings so arrive next day not travel through the night. Very happy

Swift Freestyle S6 TD Pulled by a Land Rover Discovery 3 or SWMBO's Freelander 2.

Portsmouth Caen for us, but those prices? Are you going peak weeks? Have you tried booking with Carefree the C&CC travel agency?

Volvo XC60 D5 AWD AUTO. Lunar Lexon 570

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

2 x darling grandaughters and her

Portsmouth Caen for us, but those prices? Are you going peak weeks? Have you tried booking with Carefree the C&CC travel agency?

yes they are peak weeks next summer hols ! those prices are with the club. are they expensive ?

yes they are peak weeks next summer hols ! those prices are with the club. are they expensive ?

We're off on 1st aug out via Portsmouth to st Malo, overnight crossing with cabin for 4 of us, back 2wks later via Caen on the afternoon sailing incl cabin. All in £652. Van is 7. 5m long if that helps

We regularly go Poole Cherbourg as the mileage for us is so much shorter. We pitch up on Poole Quay after 7. 30 pm at night. Have dinner, and a few glasses of vino. A man knocks on the caravan door at about 6. 45, tells us which lane to move to. Then we wind up the legs and get in the correct queue. Down near mont St michel by about 4. 00 pm ready for our first stop.

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Brittany Ferries travelling mid May and mid week and returning third week in June car and van circa £500, they are having a laugh, Tunnel this year, for same period and times £200. So it will be tunnel for us twice in 2015

Les

Les

I am doing Portsmouth - Caen return in June for £320. Car and Caravan 7mtrs. Afternoon ferry both ways. Booked a month ago.

Brittany Ferries travelling mid May and mid week and returning third week in June car and van circa £500, they are having a laugh, Tunnel this year, for same period and times £200. So it will be tunnel for us twice in 2015

Les

It depends on your start point. Poole from us is 70 miles, Dover 170. Extra mileage the other side is 180+. Add in the time factor, and the Poole Cherbourg crossing makes sense for us, even if is dearer!

I worked it all out on a spread sheet, and we spend less going from Poole.

Edited for spellings and punctuation.

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

It depends on your start point. Poole from us is 70 miles, Dover 170. Extra mileage the other side is 180+. Add in the time factor, and the Poole Cherbourg crossing makes sense for us, even if is dearer!

And a much more leisurely start to the holiday.

Les

I have booked with the CC Out mid April back end of June for £323 which includes 7 camping cheques (worth over £100). You need to travel out on the afternoon sailing and back in the morning to get the lowest fare and take the cheques.

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

In that case please note it is incorrect punctuation to put a comma after "sheet" when it's followed by "and".

How sad am I getting!!

In that case please note it is incorrect punctuation to put a comma after "sheet" when it's followed by "and".

How sad am I getting!!

Forgive me for contradicting you, but your comments are incorrect! However no offence taken!

We often use this route for obvious reasons. We normally use the night crossing and book a room, Ferry gets you in at about 07:00 french time giving you a full day in hand

Bailey Pageant Bretagne Series 6 - LR Discovery Td5 Auto

• 1 month later...

Well we have booked the holiday now, crossing Poole to Cherbourg then a 4 hour run down to the Vendee where we will be for nearly 3 weeks cant wait. Thanks for advice

To the OP - remember this is a long crossing. Are you sure that you and all your passengers can handle it, especially if it gets a bit 'choppy?'

If you are uncertain or there is any risk then the short hop (Dover-Calais or tunnel) is a much safer bet.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville