Caravan & Car 12 Volt Systems & Accessories - Confused!

Bernard in Tring

Could I please ask for some advice?

Earlier in the season purchased a Kampa Air awning. Still one or two outings left for this year and thought would treat ourselves to an electric pump to do away with the effort of manual pumping.

Purchased a Sevylor pump and was assurred this would be ok. Question is: is it OK or basically unsuitable. It does not have crocidile clip conections but what appears to be a rather standard fused cigarette lighter fitting.

Reason for question is as follows:-

The following extract from the 'instructions' under their heading of 'Things You Should Know' reads; "FOR USE WITH 12 VOLT DC POWER OUTLETS RATED 15 AMPS OF GREATER ONLY. DO NOT USE WITH 8 AMP RATED CIGARETTE LIGHTER RECEPACLES."

Confusion is compounded by the following under their 'Warnings' heading: - USE WITH 12 VOLT DC POWER OUTLETS ONLY; E. G. CIGARETTE LIGHTER OUTLETS.

MAKE SURE YOUR CIGARETTE LIGHTER CIRCUIT IS FUSED WITH A 15a FUSE.

Despite the first 'instruction' is this second comment on the fuse of 15 amp the answer?

I was proposing to connect via the caravans 12 volt outlet. On it is printed 8 amps. I drive an Nissan X-Trail with both a cigarette lighter output and an outlet in the boot. Not sure what these are rated at.

I don't understand all the technical speak but it appears to me that if something is rated for 15 amps it should not go into something rated 8 amps!

Do I just change the fuses to 15 amps and hope for the best!

Sorry to be so thick.

Many thanks.

Hi

In simple terms The compressor motor when first turned on will peak at nearly 15 amp for a few seconds then fall back to a 8amp

Edited by carabiker

You need to put another cigarette lighter socket in or increase the fuse in the van to 15amps. I have done that in the last 3 vans we have had to use the pump to blow up the tyres. Not had a problem although all the health and safety experts will say it will burn out the wiring. The pump isn't on long enough to cause a problem.

Sadly no van anymore but 35 years was a good run

John

You can purchase an adapter, two crocodile clips to a cigarette lighter socket,

lots to choose from. Remember to change the fuses as necessary.

Just as an example;

http://www. amazon. co. uk/Accessory-Socket-Battery-Clamps-Crocodile/dp/B003SQ6U6Q

Many, many thanks to all those who have replied. Think I know where I'm going now and again impressed by the very promt and informative responses.

Thanks to you all.

Bernard

I have wired a 12v socket to the case of my external 230v supply as below, this uses 42amp wiring direct to the battery and is fused at 15amp, so would be perfect :-

You will probably find that if your car has a proper cigarette lighter type socket, not an 'accessory' socket then you will be fine using that, as these types are designed to take a small heating element of around 15 to 20amps.

IMG 0391

Edited by dreadly

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind.

Mahatma Gandhi

Use the X trail. If you need an extension cable make sure its a decent quality. I find the thin wires on the general ones overheat and the compressor stops working, bought a better one with a thicker cable and can pump up the caravan tyres no problem :D

Nissan X trail and Bailey Ranger Bailey Verona

Attention please of vgreen

Sorry, for me to fully understand, (i'm in unchartered waters), can you clarify the following for me?

Is it the connection in the boot and NOT the one in the front consol that you are suggesting?

If so do you know if it is fused and the permissable AMP rating of this rear socket.

I also assume that any extention cable, if a fuse is fitted, should be 15 amps?

Thanks for for assistance.

Bernard

I use either socket. boot or front. Had no problems since I upgraded the extension lead quality.

Nissan X trail and Bailey Ranger Bailey Verona

I took out the awning heater and put a 12v x 15a socket in its place, then redirected to heater pipework into the caravan.

My compressor also blew my last cars cigar lighter fuse until I replaced it with a slow blow type

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I also make sure the car engine is running whilst using the 12v compressor.

2007 Bailey Series 5 Senator Arizona (4 berth, rear bathroom, side dinette) towed by a 57 Kia Sorento XS Auto with Kumho KL17 tyres, Reich Mover, Kampa Rally 390, Caravan Tyres : GT Radial Maxmiler CX 185/80 R14 102R.